All iPads Was the event a disappointment?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xNYMetsx, Oct 22, 2013.

1. xNYMetsx, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

Honestly, after watching the keynote I feel nothing came out of it expect of some performance bumps and raised prices. $400 for an iPad mini? Honestly, the worst part in my opinion is no Touch ID as I have a 5s. Now I have to adapt to both sliding and unlocking and my fingerprint? I thought the idea of the 5s was to open doors for the future. We're going backwards! Overall, just really disappointed. Expect for the free Mavericks :D

Edit: Maybe not so much a failure but a disappointment. BUT I got Mavericks for free! :D

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. hbksabhi macrumors regular

every time we have these threads and apple keeps selling millions ...... that cant be coincidence :p

4. xNYMetsx thread starter macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

Hefty purchase

5. Aye macrumors regular

*insert Michael Jackson eating popcorn image*

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yikes for $829 with my Verizon? That's a lot of money. I'd need to sell my MBP to pay for that. :)

Cheers,

7. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I don't think it was a failure at all. I just don't drink the kool-aid as much anymore as I used to. Each release seems more predictable by the year.

8. Altis macrumors 68030

As much as I want to stay mad at Apple for iOS 7...

I thought there was a lot of good stuff today. Retina mini with full size specs is a hefty update.

Cutting the weight of the full size by 1/3 is also a big deal.

Mavericks free? iWork and iLife free?

Price drop on Retina Macbook pros? Yes please!

I found today's release to be much, much better than for instance, the September 5S/5C CWOT.

9. xNYMetsx thread starter macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

I should of stated it differently. We really didn't get anything but disappointments. (Mine being the lack of Touch ID and price hike of iPad Mini)

10. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

A failure for you, perhaps. Apple will sell millions regardless. An iPad mini may seem overpriced compared to a Nexus 7, but it's a good value compared to an iPad Air. iLife and Mavericks free - nice.
    Ironically it's the iPad 2 that has me scratching my head...

11. xNYMetsx thread starter macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

I found the first 75% of the keynote awesome. I just can't get over the $400, haha.

12. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

It probably is more because the competition's products sucks balls rather than Apple's products actually being nice and cheap. Its not news that Apple charges very well for their products, their moneystacks comes from not allowing any margins on their already high prices.

13. xNYMetsx thread starter macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

Should've at least been replaced with the iPad 3.

14. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I don't care for Touch ID...I have an iPhone 5, not 5s so it isn't a feature I've "bought" into yet.

iPad Mini w/ Retina for $399 is a good deal in my books, when considering you're buying today's specs, not last year's specs.

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I agree with this. Touch ID was the only feature that would have moved me to upgrade the current mini. With the 5S the passcode stuff on my mini is annoying. Ah well. Maybe next time. I'm in no hurry

16. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Wasnt as big as we thought it to be I think. I think with all the rumours, we expected a really incremental upgrade. The new iPad Air is however quite a big step up in design, which I prefer and the jump to A7 on both the iPad Air and the Mini Retina was a good choice because my mini seems really sluggish on iOS 7.

I was actually thinking about unlocking with Touch ID on an iPad and it doesn't seem as easy as on the iPhone. If you are holding the iPad in one hand and you try to reach your thumb out to activate the sensor, it seems like you are going to drop the iPad, and thats me on a mini... I think they should have done something with a fingerprint sensor though, even if it was to put it there... Is isn't hard to implement!

The Mac Pro and the MacBook Pros were my favourite part, they seemed really good and the prices seemed perfect, especially for the Mac Pro... Quite cheap for what they have as standard.

I also have a 5S and I feel it is weird sliding to unlock, so much to the extent that I am thinking of selling my mini. I seem to use the MacBook Air more anyway as it seems easier for productivity.

The iPad mini Retina is more expensive because of the new processor and the fact that it is retina. When the iPad 2 was upgraded to Retina, it got a price bump too. The screen really makes it more expensive and the fact that there is Apple Tax :)

You got a free OS, stop complaining! :D

17. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

One things I've learned over the years - don't set your expectations so high! That way, you can accept what is introduced with a little more thankfulness, and a little less whininess.

In all, I'm pleased. You don't realize this, but reducing the iPad's size by ~30% while doubling both CPU and GPU performance, is quite a feat! If these numbers equate to benchmarks, it would mean that the iPad Air will equal the computing power of my 2007 MacBook Pro!! That's ****in INSANE!

The iPad mini with Retina display is a contender too! I'll have to see how much smaller & lighter the iPad Air is compared to the Retina mini.

Also, the Retina mini may not be as capable as the iPad Air. Though both have the same A7 processor, the iPad Air has a 32.4 watt-hour battery, while the Retina mini has a 23.8 watt-hour battery, but both models reportedly have the same 10hr battery life. The iPad Air has a ~40% larger battery than the Retina mini, suggesting that the A7 will be clocked at a lower speed to maintain the 10hr battery life.

18. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I’m sorry but I don’t see the point of touch id on an iPad. Everybody I know uses a case that unlocks the iPad when opened so it would just be a hassle to use touch id. That is just opinion and I’m not discounting the fact that you wanted touch id on the iPad but I don’t think a lot of people are going to be upset that it was not included. It works great on my 5s but I would never use it on an iPad if it was included.

Anyway I think the iPad mini 2 is great and the bump to the A7 along with retina is a winner for me. Its only $70 more than the mini was when it released last year.

19. xNYMetsx thread starter macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

Completely agree and you do make a good point. I'm a first time buyer and don't own an iPad so I didn't take that into account.

20. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

That means the people you know don't use a passcode. The whole point of the Touch ID is keep the device secure while making it convenient to use. Opening the cover and then putting in a 4, 6 or 8 digit code or alpha numeric passcode 50 times a day is annoying.

I know you can leave it unlocked but many, many people are not comfortable doing so. I already hover over the home button on my mini waiting for it to unlock like my phone does.

Cheers,

21. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

I think it's safer to say this thread was a failure.

22. Captain-Jack macrumors newbie

Ditto to that.

23. dojoman macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't have to innovate much with tablet yet sells millions of unit easily. Just look at hardware of Nexus 7. It looks so outdated with huge bezel and virtual buttons on bottom that taking up screen space for no reason. Competitors still can't figure out how to make a quality tablet.

24. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

25. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Agree.

I am ready to upgrade my Ipad. Was not going to do the the new OSX on my MBP... but at free. Probably will now.