Was your Seagate 1TB drive recalled?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nightfly13, Jul 22, 2011.

?

Was your 2011 iMac 1TB hard drive recalled?

1. Yes, I got an email/my serial number qualified

45 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. No, my Seagate 1TB hard drive wasn't recalled

48 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. I had another brand of 1TB hard drive

23 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Other

8 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Just wonder how 'very small' the percentage of 2011 iMacs with 1TB drives fall into this category. Mine is a 1TB Seagate (with my own SSD installed painstakingly) but a serial number check reveals I'm fine.

The story broke here and Apple's replacement program page is here.

2. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Obviously our sample is very small, but wow, that's not a 'very small' percentage.

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I think all 2011 iMac purchased between May till July and using 1TB Seagate HDD eligible for free replacement. But as you see, not all 1TB Seagate HDD being defective, you don't know whether you got one or not. i wouldn't worry since I back up my data once in a month. Whenever something wrong, I'm still under warranty and Apple still gonna replace my HDD anyway :)

4. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Well I bought one in June and I have a 1TB Seagate HDD and Apple's site explicitly told me it's not eligible (hence the second option on the poll) after I input my serial number. Any other information to back up your thinking?

5. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Often hard to foresee what poll options people will want, so I typically do the catch-all 'other' but I do wonder what 'other' situations you guys have encountered..

6. gnagy macrumors regular

Just cause you backup every month or every day, it doesn't mean you are safe. If a few bits flip on you, the computer might not even notice, and your backups are going to be corrupted as well. It might be as minor as a pixel changing color on one of your photos.

Hopefully when and if these hard drives fail, it fails in a big and noticeable way.

Quote:
    "That feeling is compounded by the most glaring omission in HFS+—and, to be fair, many other file systems as well. HFS+ does not concern itself with data integrity. The underlying hardware is trusted implicitly. If a few bits or bytes get flipped one way or the other by the hardware, HFS+ won't notice. This applies to both metadata and the file data itself."
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/12#hfs-problems

7. boogei macrumors member

Mine is eligible but I haven't received an email yet.

8. MaxGravy macrumors member

MaxGravy

I'd like to have the option of upgrading to a 2TB WD instead of getting a new 1TB. $150 is the upgrade cost on a new one. Apple should offer that option.

And it's my first mac. Just made the switch a few months ago. :(

9. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Blame seagate, not apple. How could they have foreseen the issue when they didn't manufacture the drives?

10. ycwee37 macrumors member

just received the email today and confirmed that my iMac is qualified to this exchange program after checking my serial number.....:eek:

PS: i'm in jpn

11. chris1184 macrumors regular

i received the email on Friday the 22nd, and I checked online using my serial number. It says my computer is elligible to have the hard drive swapped....kinda mad about it but i scheduled an appt. at the genious bar for tommorow evening

12. gnagy macrumors regular

This type of finger pointing is not a good philosophy for any company. A seagate sales guy will tell you it's not his fault since he didn't personally built the hard drive. The engineer will tell you it's not his fault that the factory workers messed up. The factory worker will tell you it's not his fault because he was overworked and tired....etc. It's nobody's fault, right? And since it's nobody's fault nobody needs to take responsibly and fix it, right?

13. chris1184 macrumors regular

if i take my computer into the apple store..does anyone have any idea how long it will take for me to get it fixed?

14. Bdub12 macrumors member

Didn't get an email, but my serial number qualified. Time Machining now, and I'm taking it into an authorized service provider tomorrow. They say they should get the replacement drive in about 3 days.

15. chris1184 macrumors regular

hmmm aww man i hope the apple store will be able to do it quicker...i need that computer to work on some personal projects

16. gnagy macrumors regular

They told me 2-3 business days, and I need my computer for work as I'm self-employed. There's just no way I'm going to wait that long. I hate having to fight retail employees, but that's the only way to resolve this problem.

The dude I talked to on the phone also told me they will not do an exchange because of this. Of course I know they'll do an exchange cause my amex card comes with a 90 day purchase protection plan. But it will likely take some fighting and yelling :-( Worst case, I'll call amex and they're always nice about issues like this.

17. poppakristof macrumors newbie

Mine was not and I have a Seagate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. chris1184 macrumors regular

I see...hmmm I wonder...i don't really wanna be a prick to them considering I don't want to go into the apple store for a one to one session and be "that guy" but I will see if I can talk to someone and hopefully get it done ASAP. It's a pain in the ass having to put the thing back in the box, lugging it to the store then back again....i'm going to be super pissed if they leave dust or anything behind the screen now that they have to open it too....grrrrrrr hate defects

19. gnagy macrumors regular

Don't stress about the dust too much. It's very easy to pull the glass off to wipe the dust. I've done it before on my old iMac.

Watch this video, and it'll make you feel better about the dust problem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cHMHzq5E5I

20. rufhausen macrumors regular

My 27" iMac has been at the local Apple Store since Saturday evening to get the HD replaced and I just called to find out that it's still not ready. I'm not sure if this is indicative of how long it usually takes the Apple Store to do repairs or if this recall is already overwhelming them.

21. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Does anyone know what they are replacing the drives with? My iMac doesn't qualify (which is good I guess), but I'm wondering if the replacement drives will be SATA III......?

22. Rickawd macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if they will let then owner keep the 'bad' drive. I'd prefer it for my data's safety sake, might also help to use as a clone drive.

I might even wiped the drive before bringing it in.

23. gnagy macrumors regular

Yes, definitely wipe the drive before taking it in. I always do that as a general rule.

Open "Disk Utility" and under the erase tab, there's a button labeled "Security Options". Set that to the "Most Secure" setting. Erasing the drive will take slightly longer than forever, but that way nobody can recover your data.

24. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I bought my 27" in the affected time period, but I have a Western Digital HD. Looks like % of people with non-Seagate drives is fairly small.

25. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Recalled and replaced with WDC Black

Mine was recalled. The timing was interesting because I just replaced one of the drives in my NAS that is also a 1TB Seagate.

The Apple store quoted me 3-5 days which I wasn't too happy about, but they ended up getting it fixed the same day. I drove to pick it up the next day.

I've only had my iMac a couple months and I've really enjoyed how quiet the thing is (was). Unfortunately, the new WDC drive is much noisier. I can't hear it spinning, but the seeks are very pronounced.

I just upgraded to Lion as well and am experiencing the freezing issue. I'm hoping that gets resolved quickly so I can get back to enjoying my first Mac.