Was your Try On very touchy feely/don't touch my stuff?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by NovemberWhiskey, Apr 11, 2015.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Just went for my try on experience yesterday, and found it to be really touchy feely. It's almost as-if the Apple employees were trained not to let the customer touch/handle the phone at all unless it was strapped on the wrist.

I wanted to slip on the watch myself, but they insisted on putting it on my wrist for me, which just made things a little awkward. In the process, they ended up touching my arm/hands a lot more than was comfortable for a complete stranger.

At the same time, they seemed really guarded and protective of the watches when they were laying on the table. Every time I tried to handle one, he would pick it up and polish it, and lay it back down as if to imply "do not touch."

How was your fitting?

2. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Well, mine was like any other jewelry try on I've been to. They do put the pieces on you and handle with much care.

Though, what you experienced sounds a little obsessive compulsive of the employee. I was allowed to touch a prod the devices all I want and the gentleman who helped me was happy to simply wipe them off and put them away when I was done.

If you didn't get to see or examine how you wanted, I suggest you go back and try with someone else and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help out.

3. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

My guy was very helpful. He put them on for me but also allowed me to put them on take them off myself to gauge the strength of the magnet.

He also allowed me to remove the straps to see how the process worked. I also handled them while they weren't strapped to my wrist. I'd suggest you make another appointment!

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

ok, so I have already gone twice. Both times it was a great experience. They let me mix and match all bands and watches. I didn't feel pressure to hurry, and the person helping me also seemed interested.

The funniest part of the whole thing is the way they are trained to say, "that looks good, that looks nice, etc."

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Secondhandly, but at my local store I hung around the try-on table for a minute or two, and they seemed to be reasonably non-neurotic. I did see a guy struggling for a while to one-handedly put on a watch with a Sport band. After a while I realized that me staring at him wasn't helping and moved on. But in all that time, his Apple handler didn't try to intervene.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

They have been trained to put the watches on for you. That's what jewelers do, too. I noticed they were polishing them, as well. It's to put it in the best light since lots of people will be handling them throughout the day.

I did a "second try" of some of the bands and was able to put it on myself. I also was able to slide the band on and off to see how the mechanism worked. It probably varies somewhat based on each associate and how busy they are.

----------

I think the Sport Band feels nice, but yes, it is a little difficult to put on. That might wind up being the biggest complaint about the Watch.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

first time they put them on me, but when I went back I put them on myself. Much easier, and less awkward, to just do it yourself. The sport band takes a little practice to do.

8. spiritedcharm macrumors member

That was my experience as well. The Apple dude seemed very uncomfortable with me handling the watch. I wanted to put them on myself so I could gage how I liked the process for each. It felt very controlled. I didn't like it. My husband had a different person and she wasn't like that with him.

9. JCT1212 macrumors regular

I've been twice and they stared at me and pressured me, saying I could only try on 2 models. The second time, the lady let me try on 3 watches "because I seemed nice". I couldn't even try on the watches I wanted, because the lady insisted I choose which watch I want before she opened the drawer, even though the drawer's watches are limited, and I had asked for a watch that she didn't have, previously. All in all, at least I got to see what it felt like on my wrist, and I'm still very excited to receive mine on the 24th (hopefully). I hope this was just an isolated incident, because it did not really help me.

10. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

Yes, the guy I dealt with was very nervous about me handling the watches. He had me try them on over a padded mat and wanted to clasp and unclasp everything. My gut feeling was that it was a combination of unfamiliarity with the whole process, and nervousness over the watches being damaged or dropped in front of all the other customers.

11. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Why? What's the point of that?

12. JCT1212 macrumors regular

I don't really know. I just wanted to look at what was available, and try one on, since they don't have every combination available, but she got mad lol

13. blah35 macrumors regular

My experience was pretty decent. The guy put the leather loop on me, but I was able to adjust it myself. (Felt nice by the way.)

The strange part was it was off —*or had a dead battery. He told me if I wanted to play around with the watch, I could use the ones attached to the table "over there."

14. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

Yes, he put the band on for me both times, but I liked that. It's like buying a real watch.
    And he let me try on as many as I wanted even without asking before hand. Even let me mix the bands.

15. KingCoffee macrumors member

KingCoffee

The guy helping me got chewed-out by another employee for taking the box of watches over to an empty table where we had some space to conduct my "fitting". He tried to underplay it but the other guy wouldn't let it go and acted like he had really made a huge mistake.
    Totally agree about getting the feeling they don't want people to touch them.

Also, if you want to fire up the demo and feel the taptic feedback notification you need to press the home button (below the crown) twice.
    They didn't offer that info, but it gives you something to do besides stare at the black screen/face.

16. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

Mine was like that. He insisted on putting it on for me and everytime I try to feel the watch, he would quickly pick it up to 'clean it'. Lol. I thought maybe I had grubby hands for a minute.

The kid was trying his best but I suppose the script they have to follow and the lack of retail experience just made it feel like I was talking to a FAQ website. Oh well got to try it on so I'm happy.

17. Wallabe, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

A watch is a more personal device as well as a jewelry. When it comes to sanitation, cleaning and wiping off the watch is standard practice. They don't want to just put it back in the drawer, forgetting to clean it and the next person who tries it on get itchy.

And yes, they are being protective of it. You can understand why.

There are security guards too. The last thing they need is someone to smash and grab the Apple Watch Edition in the display table.

And yes, it does seem forced. They are new at this.

18. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

I'm guessing there are a few Apple Store employees as or more anal retentive than some members here. What with all the covers, cleaners, cloths, polishes, protectors, etc.

Would there also be a post if the demo watch was dirty and smudged? I think so.

19. troymdaniels macrumors newbie

my appt was touchy feely, but the guy was very friendly and said "you have me for 15 min, so feel free to try on as many as you want". I tried 3 and that seemed plenty to me. I preordered the SS sport band and after the appt I've decided I will likely just sell mine. It's just not for me and that stinks because i've been wanting the damn thing for so long. It just felt cheap and was much smaller than I thought. The live versions they have were also buggy and after just a few min the one i was playing with crashed to an apple logo. I'm positive they'll fix the bugs, but I don't see $634 in what I tried out today.

20. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

Mine was weird too. He put it on my wrist and asked for permission to get on my left side so he can put it on my left arm. What I found strange was when I placed my iPhone down on the mat, he asked me to please remove it. I think your seeing inexperienced sales people in the jewelry space with very little training other then the last 2 weeks. It seems forced. Luckily, I do my own research and know more about these gadgets then they do.

21. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I just got back from my appointment, and the guy was very nice but yeah they didn't seem to want to let you put it on yourself and he wiped it down everytime I touched it lol, I thought about this thread whe he was doing that and had to smile

22. mantan macrumors 68000

It seems kind of amusing. Employees trying to figure out how to give a 'fine jewelry fitting' to CE customers who aren't used to buying fine jewelry. While I'm sure Angela Ahrendts has a self satisfied smile on her face, it all feels a bit forced on both sides.

23. matt550 macrumors 6502

The guy that helped me didn’t touch me or help me put on a watch at all. I could have used a hand with the sport band.

24. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

Agreed but I also think the average person who doesn't visit these forums won't catch on to this as much since they aren't seeing patterns like we are. The whole 15 minute thing is ridiculous though as you feel rushed. Normally in a retail store, you aren't pressured with the clock ticking. This is the real issue to me but I also understand Apple's perspective on not frustrating waiting customers.

25. playaproved macrumors 6502

I had an appointment earlier. My associate was very accommodating, even went as far to say "you can try on all of them if you'd like, I'm not just going to cut you off", after I mentioned reading about a two watch limit.

She opened the watches for me and then let me put them on, take them off and examine the watch and the bands. She also talked about the construction of each band as I handled them.

I was debating going to see the watch in person, as I wanted a total surprise on April 24th, but I was in the area so I checked for an appt and was able to get one.

I'm glad I went in, as I canceled my order for a Milanese Loop band after realizing the polished portion where it meets the watch will clash with the Space Grey black I ordered and annoy me. I did place an order for a bright blue Leather Loop band after trying it on. Now if Apple can just make me a black Milanese Loop and a Red Leather Loop band my world will be perfect.