Washing machine trouble (help please!)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tyler23, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hey all,

So tonight I wanted to get some laundry done while my wife was out. We have two blankets we use on the couch that haven't been washed in a while, so I through those in the machine to wash. I'll preface this by saying they're not very heavy, and even with both in there the machine was only about half full.

About halfway through during the wash cycle, it starts making an ungodly banging noise. I ran over to it to stop it. I reached in, and lo and behind the blankets weigh about a million pounds now that they're wet. I take both out to make sure the weight is the issue. The machine starts up again just fine and is back to normal. I try putting in each blanket separately but once it starts spinning it starts clanking like crazy and rocking violently.

At this point, one blanket is in the sink and the other sitting in the machine. I've stopped trying to wash them as a wet blanket will get me in less trouble than a broken machine.

What can I do? It seems I can't wash either blanket now because it sounds like they will break the machine. Any advice on how to either get them to not kill the machine, or just how to get those suckers clean? Theres way too much water in them to through them in the dryer. Not sure what to do!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is this a top or side load washer? It sounds like the blanket isn't being properly balanced within the tub drum.

3. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's a top load. I made sure it was properly balanced and distributed..it's just so damn heavy with all of the water that it's soaked up. When it starts spinning I think the weight just causes it to spin so hard that the drum is slamming against the inside walls of the machine. I literally spent 15 minutes wringing one of them out and it was still pouring out water. Never in all of my years have I run into this when washing anything.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What are they made out of? Do you know if they've ever been washed before in that washer? Maybe visit a laundromat and use their washer/dryer to wash it.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How old is the machine? There is definitely a balance issue. Check the legs to make sure the machine is level.

6. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Second this. Some have auto level legs and a machine I used to have would collapse them when an unbalanced load made the machine jump. The fix was just to raise each corner of the machine and let the legs fall.

Also, one blanket at a time was probably not a good idea. Either wash a larger load with more stuff to even it out or put the two blankets opposite each other in the drum. You might also try a slow spin speed. Once some of the water comes out they will be less of a balance issue.

7. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Have you checked if the machine is draining properly? If the filter for the pump or the tubing is blocked, the water may be pumped out so slowly that the laundry is still too soaked for tumbling.

Another possibility is a damaged spring or a worn damper for the drum. It may still speed up if the content is more or less balanced, but with only 2 pieces inside, the weight is often only on side of the drum.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I don't think anything is wrong with your washing machine. Most consumer machines just can't handle blankets because they won't balance during the spin cycle. Take the blankets to a laundromat and use one of their very large machines to finish the job.

9. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I agree. If the blanket is carefully laid out around the tub, a sucessful spin cycle should be achieved.

10. carlgo macrumors 68000

That is just too much for your machine! Balancing does not work as the load is just too much. That is why there are big-load machines for such uses at coin operated laundries. Go there! They also have dryers capable of drying these heavy items.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603