Wasn't a believer but i'm bent

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by decksnap, Mar 10, 2015.

1. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Well it happened to me, even though:

a) I really did not buy into the bend hype
    b) I've had this thing all of a month and a half and have babied it more than should ever be necessary. Case, cover, dedicated front pocket, yadda yadda.

The bend is tiny, but it is probably only going to get worse.

I am still within the window where I could sign up for Applecare, which sounds dumb/greasy, but my fear is if I go in and ask for a replacement, they're going to say it was my fault and not replace it, and disallow me from adding applecare on top of it.

Super frustrated on this one.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If bending is a defect, Apple will replace it, AC+ or no.

That said, I guess I have yet another reason (again) to stick with my iPhone 5. It's never bent, despite some bent iPhone 5 reports being made here.

So far the iPhone 6 and 6+ seem to have suffered pretty bad for QC issues, at least if the reports here are to be believed.

I'll take the iPhone 5's Scuffgate any day over bending.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Take it in to apple. The worst they can say is "no" to a replacement. From what I've read they're kften rather forgiving with issues like this. Sorry to hear about your phone :(

4. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

6 or 6+?

Sorry to hear. And as for the AppleCare - tough one. Trust your gut, you'll sleep better.

5. leoes macrumors member

You can call in to order AppleCare and if it's working fine there shouldn't be an issue. Also, as other people have mentioned, I think Apple would be fairly lenient in replacing bent phones.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Also rumor has it, a twist of the wrist is all it takes to bend it back. ;)

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's not hype--the problem is real and is greatly downplayed by Apple's corporate propaganda machine. My friends iPhone 6 bent in his front pocket as well and he wears loose clothing. Did you use a rigid case or a flexible one? If you get it replaced I'd try the former if you haven't already.

Of course, there are some that may angrily respond that this is your fault for carrying your iPhone in your pocket.

8. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

How does that happen in a loose fitting front pocket?

9. ricktat macrumors 65816

With the 6 plus in your front pocket... Even in a case... you just need to bend over to tie your shoe and you can get a bend/warp.

I had my 6 for 4 months with no issues. My 6 plus less than a month and it is warped.

Everytime I wear jeans I have to twist it back into place. No I don't wear skinny jeans.

Nothing crazy on mine. One of the corners will be about 2-3mm off the table while the others lay flat. In a case... any case... not the camera lens.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I bend down to tie my shoes every day with my 6+ in my pocket and it hasn't bent. I'm not sure what you're doing to bend yours.

11. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

I'd bet this has more to do with your individual pants pocket placement and body build type.

A front pocket relatively high (nearer your leg/pelvis crease) and a not-too-soft body type probably explains 95% of bent phones IMHO.

But total reliable numbers are truly hard to guess as reports on the Internet are self-selecting after all. I've had a 6 since launch day that isn't bent, but I have been careful with pocket carry since the first reports of vending with the iPhone 5 back in 2012.

12. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Get the Apple care.
    then you wont have to think about it.

it's not greasy at all if they let you buy it. - they inspect the phone before they let you buy it.

13. decksnap thread starter macrumors 68040

decksnap

I use an Apple leather case, not exactly rigid.

Regular 6.

True. Thanks all for the feedback.

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I really hope that Apple will take care of you.

If not, take comfort that you may have a piece of the future - the Apple Flex?

15. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

I've had my 6+ since November and in a rigid case (ultimate armor gear). I'm reasonably careful, but I keep in my back pocket and have sat on it numerous times, and occasionally in my front pocket. I just popped it out to check, no bends (probably more likely to bend it by prying it out of the case!) Get a rigid case, it makes a difference.

16. nox5 macrumors 6502

Sounds like OP finally came out of the closet

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

or just pre-tie your shoes ;)

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

When will people learn that the fact that they do something with their phone that doesn't cause it to bend is not evidence that the same activity won't cause it to bend fro someone else and vice versa?

I see tying of shoes as an example. How many different variables dog ou think there are between person to person? I'm pretty sure itnwouldnbe hard for me to exactly duplicate how I bend over and tie my own shoes multiple times. How on earth are we supposed to expect that a phone is under the same exact stresses when someone else ties their shoes?

This dead horse has been throughly beaten though. Seriously just contact Apple.

19. ricktat macrumors 65816

ohh and back to AppleCare.

Just call in.. They will send you and email or text to login and they will do a diagnostic on your phone. Soon after that, they are ready to take your credit card number or they can send you another email to input the info.

Simple process... need your serial number and some hold time.

20. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

i have a 6+ from launch day with a otterbox commuter and i sit on the phone in my back pocket no bending at all

21. Derived macrumors regular

Derived

I think many people seem to forget that there are many, many phones that bend and break under less pressure than it takes to bend/break a regular 6. The 6+ is a little more delicate, but apparently the HTC M8 requires less force to bend compared to the 6+. So, let's not all pretend that the iPhone 6 is this extra delicate and defective product.

22. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

23. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My 6+ is over three months old and it isn't bent (yet).
    However, even before the 'bendgate' thing it seemed pretty obvious to me that a thin slab of oversized and hollow aluminium would be rather fragile. I consider it prudent to baby my phone, but then I always have done over the years anyway. You just can't expect this to hold up as well as a stainless steel iPhone 4. It's bigger, thinner, and made of aluminium.

Those who say "mine hasn't bent so therefore yours shouldn't either" are missing the point somewhat. Nobody can tell me that the 6+ isn't the most fragile iPhone yet. Look after it and you'll be fine but I firmly believe that it needs more babying than most if not all other phones out there.

----------

That isn't even bent at the weak point where the volume buttons are. Crikey. I'm assuming that the owner didn't take very good care!

24. mmartinezs macrumors regular

25. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Have to say that made me laugh. You can't call sitting on your phone reasonably careful.