Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch SE unboxing videos and first impressions have hit the web.

Apple Watch Series 6 is the new high-end model with blood oxygen tracking, a faster S6 chip, a brighter always-on display, a next-generation always-on altimeter, and new casing options like blue aluminum and graphite stainless steel. Pricing starts at $399.

apple-watch-series-6-unboxing-image.jpg
Image Credit: The Verge

Starting at $279, the lower-cost Apple Watch SE features the same design as the Series 6, but with some features missing, including an always-on display, blood oxygen tracking, and the ECG app for detecting atrial fibrillation. Apple Watch SE is also powered by the previous-generation S5 chip from the Apple Watch Series 5.

Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch SE share a handful of features, including fall detection, a compass, an always-on altimeter, Emergency SOS with international emergency calling, high and low heart rate notifications, irregular heart rhythm notifications, water resistance up to 50 meters, the Noise app, and compatibility with watchOS 7.

Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch SE are available to pre-order now and will begin arriving to customers and select stores on Friday.

For a more detailed look at the Apple Watch Series 6, read our reviews roundup.

Article Link: Watch: Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch SE Unboxing Videos

Last edited:

Born2Run

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
Hove
I went for the regular space grey / black strap aluminium Series 6 (basically... the cheap one! ;))
Just got the confirmation email that it will be delivered tomorrow!

Reactions: Moi Ici

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is MacRumors getting a kickback from promoting these "internet influencer" videos?

Why would it matter? They are demoing products the viewer wants to see, especially since these are some of the earliest videos showing the release of the product that no one else has. That’s really the point here behind these ‘first hands on videos‘. It’s really intended to demo what the Watch looks like v.s. Captured photos.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Why would it matter? They are demoing products the viewer wants to see, especially since these are some of the earliest videos showing the release of the product that no one else has. That’s really the point here behind these ‘first hands on videos‘. It’s really intended to demo what the Watch looks like v.s. Captured photos.

You should upload yours Relentless ;D

Reactions: Agile55

Jbusick7944

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Interested to hear some side-by-side feedback between the SE and the 6. Mostly referring to the screen brightness. It looks like the digital crown looks a tiny bit different between the two as well.

scottinlexky

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
after much dismissal of the apple watch, starting to consider it for use with my Dexcom G6. The added health features are rather enticing.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I plan to get the Apple Watch 6 (AW6) to replace my AW4. However, I agree the update seems a little lackluster. I understand Apple being conservative with innovation but damn! There's a point where you can fall so far behind that the cost value benefit doesn't make sense. *Edited: behind who? themselves~

AnyWho, I have a significant medical condition that benefits from such a device. Yes, even the blood 02 level thing'. I'm tempted to try the aluminum version this time around, but every time I try to save money, I end up shooting myself in the foot.

Last edited:

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
It's nice that the crown ring is now color coordinated to the aluminum body for the Series 6, but I wish they'd do the same for the stainless steel models.

That (product)red looks nice though.

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
AW6 series are great, especially with addition of VO2 Max and spO2 max measurement, but gosh...animoji sitting in middle of watch face is triggering my OCD...not very fond of that CG nightmare, the rest are good.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It would matter if people are making purchasing decisions off of them. I’d want to know if they were being paid by Apple because it probably would influence what they say.
It’s great to see that everyone loves the braided solo loop. Hope I got the right size...
Since bands come in a separate box now I hope it’s easy to exchange for a different size if necessary.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Before buying, I want to know something about the Blood Oxygen Sensor :
I understand that the technology requires us to be "at rest" for the reading to be accurate.
Thus, Apple set it so to take automatic readings during the night, and I can take manual readings to rest.

But other than that, are there other readings taken automatically sometimes?
Let's say I'm just watching a 2 hours movie on my sofa for instance. Will the sensor "try" to take readings and discard them afterwards if I decide to stand up and go do something right in the middle of the reading?

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I think I’d rather a discounted 5 than an SE if they come in at a similar price. I guess they haven’t kept the 5 around as it’s too close to the 6 in features?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.