Watch caused allergic reaction, but lackadaisical help from Apple

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Cnethomas, May 4, 2015.

1. Cnethomas macrumors newbie

I had a breakout on my wrist after 4 days of wearing leather classic band (hundreds of tiny blisters). I wasn't sweating in it or wearing it too tight. Just chalk it up to materials of construction? Not a huge deal. Except Apple has very little concern in getting me a new band. Maybe they're not available? Poor planning if so. Sad to be early out of the gate to have the watch sit on dresser WAITING for a new band, with no estimate of when they'll even get a new band out to me. Oh, Apple wanted to charge me the difference if I didn't accept their offer to send the exact same band that caused the original irritation. Why do we pay premium prices again for these products??? Apple employees reading this, get your crap together as your burning bridges with otherwise loyal customers.

2. ryantbfh macrumors member

Karma for wearing dead animal. That cow or dog is probably laughing so hard at you :0)

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Are they sending you same band or something else?

4. Skepta macrumors member

That's pretty poor of them because they're normally very good with customers

5. H3rman macrumors 6502

I've always heard on here that they wont swap out just the band, you need to send back the whole watch when others have had issues with bands???

1st post on the forum as well.....

6. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

You're upset because Apple won't upgrade your band to one that you aren't allergic, a band that costs more, for free?

Of course they're going to make you pay the difference. That's ridiculous to assume otherwise.

7. lucco78 macrumors member

8. Azzin macrumors 68040

Did Apple actually say "We have very little concern in getting you a new band"?

Your post seems full of assumptions and lacking in any real detail of what actually took place IMO.

This watch, seemingly more so than any other Apple product, seems to be turning people inexplicably into raging psychopaths or regressing them into foot stomping cry babies.

9. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yeah. I'd expect to pay more for a more expensive band.

OP could swap to Milanese for free. Same price as Classic. Or, there's always Sport for less.

Anything that costs more isn't shipping anyway, so why OP would expect Apple to be able to send it quickly is a mystery. Nobody is getting the leather loop, modern buckle, or link band right now.

Unless they're a celebrity with a one-off watch.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The cow is dead. Hard to laugh when dead. The dog is minding the sheep and doesn't really care, unless the watch was made of cat. Then it might be laughing.

Reaction is probably due to chemicals used to treat the band or the nickel in the SS. Apple has advised that a few will have an adverse skin reaction to one or more bands. Guess you won't the "lottery." (I got the nickel rash from the Fitbit so can empathize with you).

Agree Apple planning here has been poor. I can kind of understand if a complex part issue blows up in their face last minute, but mass producing bands, geez, this is 20th century technology.

Did you call Apple or speak to a Genius in-store. In my experience, going in-store where you are face to face is more productive. I haven't had a good phone tech/CSR Apple experience in years.

11. thegus macrumors member

Is this a troll thread? Why in the world would they give you a more expensive band free when there's others that are equal/lesser in cost you could easily pick

12. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

No, they helped him.. It's just not what he wanted. So in his eyes, they didn't do anything.

Next we will hear about how the aluminum and stainless cases causes issue to someone, and they demand a Edition.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

People can be allergic to leather as well, but the OP can easily return the Watch as the he/she is within the 14 day return period. Or simply do what Apple suggested. Sounds like the OP wants to eat his cake and have it too.

14. Aussiebob2322 macrumors newbie

i would guess that if one went into the forum archives, one would find other psychopaths and crybabies when other new devices came out. LOL:cool:

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Correct. This is true of all Apple products. The Watch is most certainly not inducing those behaviors more than usual and people simply have short memory.

16. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

First and only post by this user. How much do you want to bet these are all grumpy Pebble or Android Wear owners who are just trolling the forum because they got their butts handed to them after seeing the staggering numbers since Launch Day?

17. angle macrumors regular

Seriously? Please do not bitch about having to pay the difference for a more expensive band. That just makes you look really bad.

18. Cnethomas thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I'm a real person, not a troll, or crybaby, or foot stomper, or android user. Die hard apple. I figured Apple would stand by its product and if there was a problem with it that caused a health issue, they'd make things RIGHT. Hence my expectation of new band, which was not price neutral of course. Wow this forum sure has a bunch of big talkers and chest thumpers. Calling my problem trivial or whiney. Last time to post here.

19. noobinator macrumors 601

They will make it right. They will give you your money back to return the watch or give you a more expensive band if you pay the difference. How is this not making it right?

Do you really think they should give something to everyone who is allergic to a specific watch band? This is your allergy, not theirs.

20. Azzin macrumors 68040

You're absolutely right, but it seems to have gone up a notch with the release of the Watch.

21. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Well sorry to hear about your allergic reaction. I have had a lot of leather bands over the years, but they have all been standard construction, with a lighter less processed looking leather lining or even a fabric liner, and the more heavily dyed leather facing out and not in direct contact with my skin. And everything was held together with stitching and a small bit of glue. Even so, I think I did have an allergic reaction once or twice to one of my leather bands.

Apple leather bands appear very homogenous, with parts that touch the skin looking the same as the parts expected to be on display. So your skin is coming into direct contact with all the dye and chemicals used to give the pretty band its looks. Also I don't recall seeing any stitching on the Apple leather bands, but I do remember somoene posting a photo of excess glue marring the look of their Classic Buckle band. So you're also possibly reacting to the glue being used.

Hmm..I didn't stop to worry about leather allergies before, in conjunction with this particular product, anyway. But your experience with it and the over processed look of Apple Leather certainly give me pause for consideration.

Good luck with any alternatives you decide to try.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not really. People just have short memory. It may appear worse only because the Watch has significantly more options for the crybabies to complain about.

23. deppisch macrumors member

Don't worry, the cows used to make leather for the Apple Watch all died of natural causes; they forced them to read your forum posts.

24. KPOM macrumors G5

I have the classic band. It looks like the pattern on ECCO shoes, which is not surprising since it's from ECCO. It looks a little plain, but is fine for what it does. I had a Movado watch band that cost as much, and fell apart in a year. I think this one will last a bit longer. I haven't had the glue issues that one poster did last week, and haven't had any issues with irritation.

25. Skepta macrumors member

Yes you're right. I didn't read the post properly and thought that they rejected sending him a new band. Happy Processing folks!! Haha