Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I had a breakout on my wrist after 4 days of wearing leather classic band (hundreds of tiny blisters). I wasn't sweating in it or wearing it too tight. Just chalk it up to materials of construction? Not a huge deal. Except Apple has very little concern in getting me a new band. Maybe they're not available? Poor planning if so. Sad to be early out of the gate to have the watch sit on dresser WAITING for a new band, with no estimate of when they'll even get a new band out to me. Oh, Apple wanted to charge me the difference if I didn't accept their offer to send the exact same band that caused the original irritation. Why do we pay premium prices again for these products??? Apple employees reading this, get your crap together as your burning bridges with otherwise loyal customers.

You're upset won't upgrade your band to a more expensive band for free?

Wow

Ani100

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2018
It’s asanine that the company is not responding to the issue, by the simply designing a plastic casing one could purchase instead of the metal MacBook Air casing. It’s impossible to find a computer now that does not include some metal casing somewhere on the laptop. Not a single after market cover, covers the entire area where one’s wrists touch either. Is utterly disabling, if one can’t use a laptop or iPad. Luckily my iPhone does not bother me in it’s current case.

If you’ve had allergy testing done and are diagnosed with a metal allergy, and your get contact dermitis, life pretty much sucks. None of us were having this issue when Mac’s came in plastic casing options. Mine started with the first metal option. I thought, it’s just the sharp edge that is bothering me. It has gotten worse with each proceeding metal case. But this new one is horrible. Whatever is in it seem to be the issue.

My wrist stung a bit more with the second two MacBooks we purchased. The 4th caused areas of slightly sore redness, but no itching. The itching was nearly immediate on contact with this new MacBook Air in the Space Gray casing. So I seem to be having an even greater allergic reaction, so think it is something in the Space Gray. When I use our older models, there is no itching, just sore areas on my wrist and palms. The Space Gray coating has even caused some skin pealing on my right palm.

I spent over $2200 for this brand new MacBook Air pro with greater data storage and a three year warranty from B&H. Yes, I can return it, but will have to pay a $400 re stocking fee as they gave to sell it as a used piece of equipment. Also out the cost of the after market coverings I just purchased to try to cover the metal parts and keyboard. Am I supposed to throw it out and never use lap top or iPad again?Even desk top versions include the metal coating now as do the HP and other laptop brands. Have a little compassion here people!

With a rise in computer use metal allergies are rising. Some of us, just seem to be the predictive “canaries in the mine”. It might be you some day, as well. I lived an entire lifetime touching metal surfaces, wearing jewelry etc., before I developed a allergy to two metals. Whatever is in this newer coating seem to be really tweaking my skin. Every time my wrists touch the uncovered areas, they burn and I am itching. Even after I put the laptop down they sting.

Apple should be examining offering custom options where one could order plastic casing or an aftermarket product that could snap onto MacBooks, so that one Wad not I. contact with the metal casing other than the charger plug in. The after market rubber coating for the keyboard works great, but the keys are not bothering me, it’s the exterior edges that are above the cover.

Instead Apple appears to be spin doctoring the existence of the issue, and saying the reaction is rare. It’s great that I now drop my laptop and it no longer cracks, but I would prefer to be able to use a computer. So please Apple, come out with a custom plastic casing, or cover one could snap on that covered all the interior parts and edges.

We QUOTE="whatos, post: 21215066, member: 955221"]An avid Apple customer, shareholder and historian, I know Apple well. I've used their computers every year since 1991.

I'm the first to acknowledge their many accomplishments with joy. Conversely I'm not afraid to look at their less than stellar decisions and behavior.

They cost many of their customers thousands of dollars year after year as Apple stayed silent refusing help to those whose MBP's suffered severe video issues impacting their ability to work.

Some had to buy replacements in order to keep working. Apple lived in silence and when pressed... Denial until the legal ramifications could not be denied.

I was there, I witnessed this first hand at work where we use over one hundred MBP's.

Proof?
Here's but one sanitized "Pro-Apple" version that only touches on a small fraction of its impact. After all, other businesses most definitely don't want to upset the 800lb Gorilla that is Apple... :)

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/19/2011-macbook-pro-repair-program-apple/[/QUOTE]

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
It’s asanine that the company is not responding to the issue, by the simply designing a plastic casing one could purchase instead of the metal MacBook Air casing. It’s impossible to find a computer now that does not include some metal casing somewhere on the laptop. Not a single after market cover, covers the entire area where one’s wrists touch either. Is utterly disabling, if one can’t use a laptop or iPad. Luckily my iPhone does not bother me in it’s current case.

If you’ve had allergy testing done and are diagnosed with a metal allergy, and your get contact dermitis, life pretty much sucks. None of us were having this issue when Mac’s came in plastic casing options. Mine started with the first metal option. I thought, it’s just the sharp edge that is bothering me. It has gotten worse with each proceeding metal case. But this new one is horrible. Whatever is in it seem to be the issue.

My wrist stung a bit more with the second two MacBooks we purchased. The 4th caused areas of slightly sore redness, but no itching. The itching was nearly immediate on contact with this new MacBook Air in the Space Gray casing. So I seem to be having an even greater allergic reaction, so think it is something in the Space Gray. When I use our older models, there is no itching, just sore areas on my wrist and palms. The Space Gray coating has even caused some skin pealing on my right palm.

I spent over $2200 for this brand new MacBook Air pro with greater data storage and a three year warranty from B&H. Yes, I can return it, but will have to pay a $400 re stocking fee as they gave to sell it as a used piece of equipment. Also out the cost of the after market coverings I just purchased to try to cover the metal parts and keyboard. Am I supposed to throw it out and never use lap top or iPad again?Even desk top versions include the metal coating now as do the HP and other laptop brands. Have a little compassion here people!

With a rise in computer use metal allergies are rising. Some of us, just seem to be the predictive “canaries in the mine”. It might be you some day, as well. I lived an entire lifetime touching metal surfaces, wearing jewelry etc., before I developed a allergy to two metals. Whatever is in this newer coating seem to be really tweaking my skin. Every time my wrists touch the uncovered areas, they burn and I am itching. Even after I put the laptop down they sting.

Apple should be examining offering custom options where one could order plastic casing or an aftermarket product that could snap onto MacBooks, so that one Wad not I. contact with the metal casing other than the charger plug in. The after market rubber coating for the keyboard works great, but the keys are not bothering me, it’s the exterior edges that are above the cover.

Instead Apple appears to be spin doctoring the existence of the issue, and saying the reaction is rare. It’s great that I now drop my laptop and it no longer cracks, but I would prefer to be able to use a computer. So please Apple, come out with a custom plastic casing, or cover one could snap on that covered all the interior parts and edges.

We QUOTE="whatos, post: 21215066, member: 955221"]An avid Apple customer, shareholder and historian, I know Apple well. I've used their computers every year since 1991.

I'm the first to acknowledge their many accomplishments with joy. Conversely I'm not afraid to look at their less than stellar decisions and behavior.

They cost many of their customers thousands of dollars year after year as Apple stayed silent refusing help to those whose MBP's suffered severe video issues impacting their ability to work.

Some had to buy replacements in order to keep working. Apple lived in silence and when pressed... Denial until the legal ramifications could not be denied.

I was there, I witnessed this first hand at work where we use over one hundred MBP's.

Proof?
Here's but one sanitized "Pro-Apple" version that only touches on a small fraction of its impact. After all, other businesses most definitely don't want to upset the 800lb Gorilla that is Apple... :)

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/19/2011-macbook-pro-repair-program-apple/

And that massive long rambling reply talking about MacBooks, to a nigh on three year old thread talking about Apple leather watch bands, is relevant just how?

Reactions: bbednarz

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
There are some people who are super sensitive to things like this and no matter what Apple does, it will not fix that sensitivity. They can not be responsible for everyone’s problems.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
They can not be responsible for everyone’s problems.
This is a dumb necro thread from 3 years ago, but even so, the principle is that if you set out to be a premium provider of premium stuff sold at decidedly premium prices (50 bucks for a nylon watchband for example - that's at least a 47 bucks profit margin) then you better follow through in every way to support your paying customers as well.

Sadly, Apple rarely does that. Many times, lawsuits have been required to make the company take responsibility for its own screwups and manufacturing flaws.

There's this very common trend these days, making apologies for very big corporations saying they can't be responsible for this or that - yes they can. They're the ones making and selling this stuff. They're making billions and billions of dollars. Our dollars. They can be responsible, and they should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.