Watch constantly locking

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by appledrone, Nov 24, 2015.

1. appledrone macrumors regular

Hi All, yesterday, after 5 days of ownership, My GF's 38mm sport has started constantly locking. It's on nice and tight and has all the latest updates. Wrist detection in turned on. She puts in her passcode (on the watch, not iphone) and as soon as she turns her wrist away and back it's locked again, tried resets etc. Anyone had this issue and knows what the problem is?

Thanks

2. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Sounds like its defective... sensor isn't picking up her having it on.

3. akosnitzky macrumors member

akosnitzky

Any tattoos around the wrist?

Also try to reenable wrist detection.

You may also need to unpair and setup watch again.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also power cycle the iPhone and the :apple:Watch and see if that corrects the problem.

5. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for you replies People! She has no tattoos, I turned wrist detection on and off a few times, also tried unpairing etc. Julien - do you mean run the batteries flat and recharge? I've booked a genius bar slot for next monday (first available at our store) which will still be within 14 days of purchase so hoping they will just swap out? I am the UK but did buy in the USA however...

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, just power both of them off/on. This fixes most problems.

7. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

ahh, sorry - yeah tried that

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Yeah it sounds like a watch sensor problem. Have her swipe up and then left or right as required to get heart rate. If heart rate is not updating you know it's a hardware problem and you can turn that genius bar appointment into a repair (possibly involving shipping) or exchange (if they have any in stock for this purpose).

9. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Yes, sounds like a sensor issue. If you've tried everything else, have you tried the watch on your own wrist?

10. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I know some people like to wear watch very very lose, and when it slide up and down the wrist, sometime even rotating around, sensor will lost track of wrist connection long enough to lock it. With lock function activated, sensor must touch wrist almost all the time, not just close to skin but not touching.
    If she is not wearing it tight, try tighten up for a day or so, specially with sports band, it is fairly comfortable tighter fit with SB.
    You should be seeing wrist depressed on both sides of wrist just slightly by watch band.

11. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Is your girlfriend living? Sorry... couldn't resist. :D

12. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

As in - does she have a pulse? :eek:

13. bunger macrumors 6502

So something that I just discovered is that if I wear loose, long sleeve shirts, the cuff will just barely work its way under the watch and disrupt wrist detection.

The watch had been consistently locking all morning, so I pulled up my sleeve for a while... it never locked. As soon as I pulled it down, it started locking again.

it doesn't do this with all of my long sleeve shirts, just some of them...

14. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me. After dealing with it for a few days, I brought it to the Apple Store. They mailed it off, and sent me a replacement. No issues after that.

15. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

That's strange, I wear long sleeve dress shirts all day and I've never had that issue. Very weird.

16. bunger macrumors 6502

Me too - long sleeve dress shirts don't interfere with mine either. But today I wore a sort of loose knit long sleeve shirt casual shirt and the watch constantly locked. If I pulled the sleeve up or mades sure that it was always covering my watch ( something I don't have to do with my dress shirts ), it wouldn't lock...

17. CobraPA macrumors 6502

I have not found this to be the case. The watch does not need to be tight for wrist detect to work here.

18. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Agreed. I've worn it very loose on occasions and seen zero impact on it staying connected.

19. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

So if your watch has signifcant gap between sensor and your wrist, and it slide up and down the wrist, maybe turn around your wrist all the time, it will NEVER EVER locked by itself while sliding up and down the wrist and turning around the wrist?

I see a lot of women like to wear traditional watch very very loose with significant gap between back of watch and wrist, like bracelet, and they like the look of it slide up and down the wrist. It does not work very well with AW. Either sensor won't be accurate or it will accidentally lock itself.

I tested it myself on my own AW, when it is very very loose, it lock accidentially.

20. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

Damn! That's where I'm going wrong! Haha, nah, she's got it on tight, it literally locks as soon as the screen goes off, sometimes even while actually using it! I'm going to push for an instant replacement, it's only 5 days old

21. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Make band loose to the point it will slide up and down on the wrist, and turn around by itself on your wrist, wear it for couple days, & let me know will it accidental lock or not.

22. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Who on earth would wear a watch that loose for two days?
    You may as well ask me to leave it on my dresser for a week and see if it's still connected.

23. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

So did it connected?

24. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Yes. Yes it did connected. It did connected very much good.

25. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Well, if it is that powerful, as you claimed "Yes, Yes", be careful, it might explode on your wrist.