Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128KMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I saw a thread about the back of the watch separating from the body, but couldn't find one on search having to do with the FACE/Front of the watch separating from the body. Has now happened TWICE to me. I have a stainless steel with link bracelet. I do lots of road bicycle riding (2-3 hrs at a time, 3-5 times per week). Wondering if the vibration transmitting through handle bars up to hands and wrist might be having an effect?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Maybe not the vibration, but -- maybe -- lots of sun exposure to sunlight heats up the glue enough to soften it.

How warm is the weather when you ride? How long -- are we talking 4-5 hours?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
In one of the AW ads ("Goals"), they show a couple of judoka doing throws and one taking a fall slapping with the AW arm. That'd exert way more force than anything you'd get from road cycling, although this is short term and actually laughable because no sensei would allow their students to wear the AW during practice for safety reasons.

How long -- are we talking 4-5 hours?

From OP, (2-3 hrs at a time, 3-5 times per week).

128KMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Maybe not the vibration, but -- maybe -- lots of sun exposure to sunlight heats up the glue enough to soften it.

How warm is the weather when you ride? How long -- are we talking 4-5 hours?
I live in Hawaii - so lows are in the low 60s and highs never get above about 93 or so. Rides can be up to 4-5 hours, but most are 1.5-3.0 hours. I wear on inside of my wrist, so gets generic body heat and ambient heat but not direct sun.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Hmm. See how far up Apple's chain you can take this. Your details might not pass through more than a couple techs and get to the hardware engineers.

I was about to wonder if the bracelet might be collecting heat and sending it to the watch body, but it would be a stretch of a theory.

Does the watch get hot to the touch? iFixit's teardown starts with heating up their "iOpener" in the microwave and laying it on the watch face.

128KMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Never noticed it getting hot to the touch, but then I am pretty hot and sweaty while riding. One reason I think not the heat so much is that we have been in our "cool" season, so the hottest temps have only been in the 80s. Of note, the most recent episode occurred after flying for 6 hours - so maybe multiple stressors - heat, vibration, pressure change, corrosive effect of sweaty sunscreen? I did mention to the last tech that this was the second episode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.