Watch is great, but where's the Facebook app?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by valleian, Apr 25, 2015.

1. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

Been loving the watch so far, definitely worth the wait, but I do have one question. Where's the Facebook app? I know this probably isn't Apple's fault, unless they said no to what Facebook was trying to include. Did Facebook really not have an app ready? The biggest social network in the world, and they couldn't get an app ready? Hell, they released an app for Instagram, and I'm 100% sure Apple gave them early access to WatchKit. Any idea on the delay?

2. GLS macrumors 6502

3. joshcls macrumors 6502

joshcls

Facebook didn't have an app for the iPad for the longest time either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. irentamac macrumors regular

irentamac

I doubt Facebook can even beat the June ship dates

5. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I would guess that they're trying to figure out how to make a lean enough version of Facebook that makes sense on the watch. Honestly, I'd be happy with a version that did nothing more than view the particular post that a notification was about.

6. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Honestly, I don't know how exactly a Facebook app would function or what use for it I would have. To check my recent news feed maybe, but that's it? I'm much more interested in a Facebook Messenger app.

7. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I think an app that lets you see the posts tied to a notification would be really good. I don't think you want to look at your whole news feed on the watch.

8. Somnospeed macrumors member

It will come and most likely be worth using, at the minimum. Facebook rules the world and there's no reason to think it will avoid the most popular watch in the world.

9. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

If I were facebook, I wouldn't build an application right now. Too much is unknown and variable about the smartwatch industry: in two years the medium could be completely different.

I'd work to really flesh out smarter notifications. That's the best use case for smartwatches right now, I think.

10. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

The Instagram app is surprisingly well designed other than the blue logo. I'd rather then take their time

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

You still get the notification on the watch, don't think you can do anything with it though.

12. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I know. I had Facebook notifications on for 2 hours yesterday. I turned them off when I realized that they didn't actually give me any useful information.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

They're probably waiting until the Dev conference in June when Apple annouces iOS 9 and most likely Watch OS 1.1. That's in roughly 6 weeks. Watches should be in stores by then.

14. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Facebook were one of the first to start making the app for the watch. They previewed it on the keynote. I'm sure it will be out soon. I am just hoping it is better than the current Twitter app which is shocking. Can pretty much do bugger all on it. Facebook and Facebook messenger are the ones I really can't wait to get my hands on

15. CarloVonSexron macrumors member

Twitterrific's watch app is pretty good.

16. Leeabe macrumors member

I am sure it is coming, they just have to figure out how to monetize your heart rate and the correct ad to friend notification ratio.

17. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

You can't even read more than a line of an email and you want a FB app? What do you expect it to do? Will be useless.

18. Leeabe macrumors member

Messaging. To see when you received a new message from a friend. It won't replace your phone/web, but it will let you know that your friend sent you a message. Kind of the way the phone works. We went over that in the thread you started. :p

19. beldenben macrumors member

I understand your point about Facebook, but it's not like it is the only notable missing app.

Snapchat has a HUGE user base as well and basic functionality seems obvious: letting you see snaps you receive on the watch.

WhatsApp / Kik are two of the most popular messaging apps in the world and neither of them have apps available.

Yahoo Mail / Mailbox / Outlook: these are three very popular email apps from large companies (Yahoo, Dropbox, Microsoft) and none of them have an app. Microsoft even has a OneNote app which make Outlook stand out even more.

Google to my knowledge hasn't released any apps, but considering they have a competing watch of their own, it isn't surprising. At the same time, they have a full suite of apps available for the iPhone, so I would expect the functionality to arrive eventually.

I could go on and on, these were just some of the most obvious ones to me. My guess would be that all of these apps will be coming eventually if they aren't already being worked on. Maybe the companies just wanted to get their hands on actual hardware before they released anything. Or maybe they just weren't ready for launch day. Who knows?

20. Leeabe macrumors member

Some of the developers I follow on Twitter have already commented that now that they have a watch, they want to redesign their watch app. Between this and hearing about the many failed apps, maybe the ones who didn't rush a day one app out are the smart ones?

21. beldenben macrumors member

ESPN was the worst. Maybe it was just me, but half the time I just got a screen of text that said "LABEL LABEL LABEL" and the other half I got one news story from like 18 hours ago. I wound up deleting it. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to get right either, you have a list of scores on page one and a list of links on page two, but then again, I'm not a developer so who's to say what's easy?

22. shandyman Suspended

I thought that all that was shown at the Keynote for FB was a standard Apple Watch notificatio, not an app.

As for Twitter, what you on about? I can see my feed, favourite, retweet, reply and tweet. What else can you need to do?

Snapchat is pretty limited on what they can do for the watch, they might not bother and just leave it to standard notifications.

Whatsapp is one I want, but they take AGES to do stuff. The voice calling that they just rolled out, was meant to be out a year ago!

23. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

I think Facebook is definitely an iPhone app. You get notifications on your Watch now, which you can then decide whether to open up the app to deal with. Other than that I don't see much use for it on the watch.

Messenger I agree with, would be good to be able to reply.

24. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

I'm still waiting on Facebook to implement a dark mode, font management, and much better timeline syncing. I don't expect much from a company that size, but still...