Watch is killing my iPhone battery so fast!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gusping, Apr 27, 2015.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

I've got the iPhone 6 and the watch is absolutely eating up my battery. It sometimes goes down in 2-3% chunks at a time. Anyone else seeing their phone battery decreased hugely?

2. whatos macrumors 6502a

That's normal. Same experience I'm having. Apple will probably address it later.

3. CChrisG macrumors member

CChrisG

I can't confirm that, all fine with my iPhone 6 battery. Watch was connected all the time and I don't feel any difference in battery life.

4. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

My phone doesn't last a day now.....

5. daymouse macrumors regular

I've not got a watch yet but i did open the watch app yesterday to have a nosey and i think since then my battery was dropping stupidly fast! I've not installed anything new recently so its the only app i can think would be doing it.

6. fresh4u macrumors member

Somebody told that when you force the companion app on your phone to quit, it stops draining

7. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried that, still drains way faster than before I had my watch.

8. pophardpunk macrumors newbie

I'm using a pebble and still on the fence with the Apple watch and I'm wondering if it's the same battery drain.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Try restarting the iPhone. It seems to be hit-or-miss. I'm guessing this is a software issue that will be resolved in fairly short order.

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

My phones never lasted a full day ever anyways. It gets charged overnight, charged at work, charged in the car, ect.

The watch I don't want leaving my wrist, so I'd rather that have all day battery if I had to pick.

11. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

This prob wont help but I noticed that a few of my apps requested Always on location access when they installed on the watch. I never allow this except for nav apps. I would check the apps that have access to location services and make sure they are set to only when using app.

12. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

I can't really say I noticed much of a difference. It's now 9:45pm and my iPhone 6 is still at 61%. I'm only using one 3rd party watch app, though. The watch itself is at 62%.

13. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

I could probably eek out 3 days from my 6 Plus now as I check all of my notifications on the watch.

14. l3it3r macrumors regular

l3it3r

This is what I'm really looking forward to. :cool:

15. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Its great, my iPhone sat in my pocket or on the couch most of the weekend and the battery life on the watch is perfect. This is going to be a sad week though as Apple are picking up my watch to replace it as there was a mark on the SS casing. I could probably have buffed it out but I didn't want to risk it. :(

16. WJKramer macrumors 6502

I have noticed no difference with my iPhone 6+....absolutely phenomenal battery life on the watch and iPhone. So happy.

17. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

I've had the opposite happen to me. I haven't charged my phone (6+) in 2 days since getting the Apple Watch and it is currently at 62%.

Apple Watch goes 12-16 hours based on my weekend use and each night was down to 51% on Saturday and 59% on Sunday.

18. spampy22 macrumors member

Check a specific App as I found Runtastic Pro was running in the background the whole time on Saturday and was draining it at a fast clip. Deleted the App and yesterday I had it off the charger AT 8:00AM and i had 60% phone battery and 50% watch battery at midnight, woot woot!

19. kitkat2 macrumors member

Was happening to me too with my iPhone 5. Force quitting the Watch app seems to have fixed the issue.

On top of the Watch app, one of my 3rd party apps kept running in the background on my phone, even when I was done using it. That really really drained the battery, so some of those could also be a factor.

20. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I'd check the battery usage and see which apps are using the most amount of battery. You can see the list by going to Settings --> General --> Usage --> Battery Usage, then wait for the list of apps to populate.

21. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

No decrease for me, I have the 6 Plus. My phone shows my watch uses about 2% of my battery.

22. Quahog macrumors member

I seem to be getting better battery life out of my phone.

Before, at bedtime, I would be around 10% battery left on my IP6+. For the past two nights, I've had around 40%. Today, being the first full work day, we'll see how it goes...

23. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Lol. It's going to scratch more down the road. It's the same scenario as the iPod touches and classic were.

Head to 9to5, guy there had the same issues and did a video of before, during, and after to polish his case of scratches he got just after 2 days of ownership.

Watch it, you might want to cancel that replacement request. You'll be doing a lot of this polishing if you're that picky.

Good luck sir.

24. rdavis41 macrumors member

rdavis41

Check your location settings. After I installed all my apps on the watch I noticed that many of them changed my location settings for GPS use on the phone. I switched them and noticed better performance. I'd also suggest turning off vibration on the phone if your using the watch as the Haptic feedback should provide that for you. It's not a huge battery drain on the phone unless you receive a lot of emails and notifications, but every little bit helps.

In regards to the Pebble, I had one previously and the battery drain from the Pebble was far worse than watch the Apple Watch does, at least in my experience. However, the trade off I've found is the Apple Watch, even at V1.0 is more seamless than the Pebble ever was. The Pebble would crash at a minimum of 3-4 times per day (and this is even with replacement Pebbles as a result of the crashing).

I think we will see improvements once V1.1 comes, I'd give it a few weeks as Support gets an idea what bugs us early adopters are discovering.

25. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

That's the first thing I did and there's no obvious culprit- on my phone. I have an iPhone 6 and have noticed a significantly faster battery drain.