Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justdave

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
I'm an international broadcast rights consultant and agent.

It's going to go.

Why would I be happy a site is stealing people's work without permission and selling their own advertising around it?

Phazer

I'm sorry to be blunt but you sir a a jobsworth cock. This is second to nothing that has been released on the iPhone so far come on think about it television with a 20 second delay to being live in your hands, not long ago think how amazed people would be about this. I showed my grandad this and he's cconvinced I've tricked him.

Well done to anyone who still impress people nowadays kepp it up.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
It would be a sad state of affairs if this service did get pulled. It is innocent until proven guilty in this country, and license payers should not suffer because some people may use it illegally. How about the BBC reduce the crazy wages they pay presenters etc. and pump some of the money into new methods of detecting people who are stealing and leave the law abiding public alone?

Or better yet, provide ways for people abroad (either expats or who genuinely enjoy British programming) to pay to watch. And yes, this goes for US services like Hulu too.

We can't even get the BBC World News app (see French store) in the US, Canada or Japan.

I only hope The Phazer works to expand rights generally rather than limit them...

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Maybe I'm watching something different to everyone else but theres no ads on the iphone version. Well no more ads than you usually get on the commercial channels.

This is THE best thing on the iPhone for the UK. Frankly its what I'm dreamed of having for about 30 years - a proper pocket telly! Really simple, fabulous picture - no ridiculous aerial - it just works.

If I didn't already have an iPhone and someone showed me this - I'd go and buy one right now just for it!

Oh and I have a tv license already.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
And before people chime in with claims the BBC doesn't have adverts - it doesn't have commercial adverts, but there are so many BBC trailers and adverts for other BBC services, they may as well have ads.

Hmm. When was the last time the BBC stopped a program half way through to show you 5 minutes of trailers? err I don't think do.

Commercial TV is trash, BBC is great. I gladly pay the licence fee.

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
I believe its part of the beebs charter to produce shows like 'The One Show' just to show doubters that is the quality of the telly we will get all the time if we don't pay the license fee.

Much like a 'hello world' its just the beeb proving they can produce utter, utter ***** if they want to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.