Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi All:

I have an iPhone 15 Pro operating under iOS 17.4 and an Apple Watch 8 operating under Watch OS 10.4. In the past, the Watch when I arose, the watch used to ask if I was awake once I arose. This is no longer occurring. In order to get the bed icon to turn off and get the watch out of sleep focus I have to manually turn off sleep focus. In fact, anytime I turn on sleep focus in iOS, the watch immediately goes into sleep focus mode even though I have sleep schedule set from 9:30 PM - 05:30 AM.

This is an issue, because if I forget to turn on sleep focus before retiring, the Watch will take my resting heart rate when I am sleeping which I do not want it to do.

Can anyone tell me how to keep sleep focus in the on state but only be active when I am actually sleeping?

Thank you in advance.

Don

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Try to make substantial movements, not just waking up, to let your watch believe you are awake and pop up the notification asking if you are awake.
As for manually turning on focus, that's how all focuses work. If you turn on and said mode has a schedule, it will keep on until when it is scheduled to be off.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi Shiraski,

That't the point. I am moving around substantially and it is not sleep focus is not turning off. I have to turn it off manually.

Don

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Are you sure you're awake and not "awake" in the matrix?
Hello:

It is 8:44 AM. I manually. turned on sleep focus. I am outside the sleep area of 9:30 PM to 5:30 AM. Watch is stuck in sleep mode even though I am moving aggressively moving around. This is what I am attempting to resolve. If I want it out of sleep mode I must manually turn off sleep focus.

Don

Last edited:

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I have only used the fustian once and I do remember my watch had a message on it asking me if I was done sleeping!

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
When my sleep focus is on and I happen to move around, for like 30-60 sec or so I always get a notification.
I’d reboot watch

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi JZ:

I performed a hard reset on the watch and then re-paired. Same behavior. I used to get a notification asking if I am awake. But not any more. The watch remains in sleep mode. I have to manually turn-off sleep focus to get the watch out of sleep mode. The odd thing is that the watch recognizes other movements and records exercise, steps etc.

Don

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi JZ:

I performed a hard reset on the watch and then re-paired. Same behavior. I used to get a notification asking if I am awake. But not any more. The watch remains in sleep mode. I have to manually turn-off sleep focus to get the watch out of sleep mode. The odd thing is that the watch recognizes other movements and records exercise, steps etc.

Don
I manage my sleep focus manually both at beginning and end so don't know what to suggest other than contacting Apple support

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi JZ,

In your previous message to me you stated: "When my sleep focus is on and I happen to move around, for like 30-60 sec or so I always get a notification."

So, is Sleep Focus no longer giving you a notification to turn it off when you start moving around?

Don

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hi Shiraski,

That't the point. I am moving around substantially and it is not sleep focus is not turning off. I have to turn it off manually.

Don
I also use sleep mode and every time it works on me. Sometimes watch detects me rolling on the bed and asks if I am awake. I didn't even need to walk around.

I used to use Apple Watch Series 4. Now with ultra 2, everything works just fine.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi S:

Thank you for your information. I have been in contact with Apple support. Apple has confirmed that my set-up is correct--it should be as it used to work. They have received from me diagnostic information from me. Now I am just waiting for them to tell me what is wrong.

Don

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi JZ,

In your previous message to me you stated: "When my sleep focus is on and I happen to move around, for like 30-60 sec or so I always get a notification."

So, is Sleep Focus no longer giving you a notification to turn it off when you start moving around?

Don
haven't done it in some time, meaning, move around while sleep focus is still on. I usually get up 30-45 min prior to the end of my sleep focus and turn it off manually (press the crown til watch face shows and then hit the side button and turn sleep focus off). I could check tomorrow if I remember ;)

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
haven't done it in some time, meaning, move around while sleep focus is still on. I usually get up 30-45 min prior to the end of my sleep focus and turn it off manually (press the crown til watch face shows and then hit the side button and turn sleep focus off). I could check tomorrow if I remember ;)
Thanks JZ.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I have been having problems with sleep focus for months ... many many months. Somehwere along the way Apple seems to have broken something. Just yesterday my wife told me I was asleep while sitting beside her having a conversation ... her iPad and iPhone showed my emoji with the sleep focus notification on.

if you ever figure this out, please let me know.

• Love
Reactions: arc of the universe

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi JZ,

Thank you for checking and confirming. I tried this morning as well. Unfortunately, I let the watch wake me so I did not get a good test. Will try again tomorrow as see what is going on.

Don

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi JZ et. al.

I set the wake-up time way past when I normally arise to 6 AM. I got out of bed and the watch continued in sleep mode. After several minutes, the watch notified me and asked if I was now awake? So it did come out of wake mode by my movement. Just took longer than I remembered. So perhaps the reset/repair solved the issue after all.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Don

Reactions: arc of the universe

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi JZ et. al.

I set the wake-up time way past when I normally arise to 6 AM. I got out of bed and the watch continued in sleep mode. After several minutes, the watch notified me and asked if I was now awake? So it did come out of wake mode by my movement. Just took longer than I remembered. So perhaps the reset/repair solved the issue after all.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Don
well, I was wearing my Ultra2 this past night (I wear it for like a day and a half and then put it on the charger overnight at which time I were my S7 for sleep tracking) and when I got out of bed I moved around like yesterday with the S7 and nothing, no notification. it happened just a few min before 6 and I got stand credits for the hour before and after 6.

Difference between the 2 watches, U2 is on 10.4 and S7 on 10.3.1, at least yesterday morning it was, upgraded to 10.4 yesterday evening.
So now onto anther test tomorrow morning with the S7 on 10.4

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi JZ,

Thank you for reporting back. I am going to continue to test mine. I am beginning to wonder if Apple has a bug that prevents watches from coming out of sleep mode.

Don

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi JZ,

Thank you for reporting back. I am going to continue to test mine. I am beginning to wonder if Apple has a bug that prevents watches from coming out of sleep mode.

Don
I’ll wear my S7 tonight while charging my U2, so tomorrow morning we shall see. Difference will be that my S7 is now on 10.4

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I’ll wear my S7 tonight while charging my U2, so tomorrow morning we shall see. Difference will be that my S7 is now on 10.4
my S7 this morning prompted me "are you awake ...", so same behavior with 10.4. So bug in 10.4 seems unlikely.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi All:

Update. This morning I had my wake up time set to 6 AM. I got out of bed at 4:30 AM. Made breakfast which took about 10 minutes. No notification that asking if I am awake. Sat down to watch television for a few miniutes before my morning exercise routine. Still no notifications asking if I am awake. Then I began to make preparation for my workout routine. Finally, after being out of bed for 45 minutes did I get a notification from the watch asking if I was awake. The timing of this notification seems to be highly variable with my Apple Watch 8 operating under Watch OS 10.4.

I have a call with Apple at 11 AM tomorrow and will report back.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.