Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi All:

Update. This morning I had my wake up time set to 6 AM. I got out of bed at 4:30 AM. Made breakfast which took about 10 minutes. No notification that asking if I am awake. Sat down to watch television for a few miniutes before my morning exercise routine. Still no notifications asking if I am awake. Then I began to make preparation for my workout routine. Finally, after being out of bed for 45 minutes did I get a notification from the watch asking if I was awake. The timing of this notification seems to be highly variable with my Apple Watch 8 operating under Watch OS 10.4.

I have a call with Apple at 11 AM tomorrow and will report back.

Don
Did you learn anything from your call with Apple?
While both my watches recognize that I’m up, the duration/level of activity seems certainly inconsistent, eg this morning my U2 notified me after maybe 30 sec only…

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I also have this issue, which has been happening for a while. Before, for example, I would get up, start moving about and within 20 minutes or so, I would get a notification: "Looks like you are awake". Now I can get up at 5 am, walk 8km to work and then be in the office from 7.30 am, walking about and then at about 9.30 am I will then get the "Are you awake" message. Yeah, no ****, I am awake.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi JZ et al:

I too and experiencing inconsistent notifications. Just received a call from Apple. They report that they are moving this to a higher level. Resolution may come in a future firmware update. We appear to be all in the same boat on this issue.

Thanks to you and all that responded.

Don

Reactions: jz0309

tolili alert

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
Hi All:

Update. This morning I had my wake up time set to 6 AM. I got out of bed at 4:30 AM. Made breakfast which took about 10 minutes. No notification that asking if I am awake. Sat down to watch television for a few miniutes before my morning exercise routine. Still no notifications asking if I am awake. Then I began to make preparation for my workout routine. Finally, after being out of bed for 45 minutes did I get a notification from the watch asking if I was awake. The timing of this notification seems to be highly variable with my Apple Watch 8 operating under Watch OS 10.4.

I have a call with Apple at 11 AM tomorrow and will report back.

Don
Wake up time: 6:00 AM

Then, you won’t receive notification until 5:30 AM.

30 minutes before wake up time. That’s simple.

But that doesn’t matter for any metrics. Anyway, change your wake up time or just let it go because there is no impact in health metrics.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hi TA:

I set my equipment to wake up for 6 AM. I wake up, when I wake up. Sometimes before 4 AM. I expect the watch to ask me if I am now awake when I start moving around--even it is 4 AM. It used to. But not any more. Apple changed something.

Turning sleep focus off does cause a health metrics issue with resting heart rate. The watch is not supposed to track resting heart rate when you are sleeping. But it will if sleep focus is off.

Again, Apple had this correct in the past. They changed something and now it no longer works.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.