Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
Of course a bunch of old nerds are gonna complain. And to be honest, I'd probably be amongst them if she wasn't any good. I love music and I always try to give an artist a listen even though my initial cynical self shrugs. But to my great surprise, she is NOT what you think. She is NOT the conventional cookie cutter mainstream pop artist in any sense. If you love music regardless of genre or decade give her a chance. Don't listen to her 'Bad Guy' song which is only a small fraction of what her and her brother are as artists. We should be championing them as artists that write and produce their own music, at home in a small room with rarely any big studio equipment. They put your favourite singer/songwriters to shame, and to top it off they're still very young.

Give her a shot and most of you will be humming her melodies in the middle of the day.
I gave her a listen and wasn’t impressed. Not my genre of music at all. I’m pretty much Dead and Phish 90% of the time. Rest is misc rock from the 70s. But enjoy if it’s your thing.

MikeyUnix

Suspended
Oct 10, 2019
UK
All that's wrong with Apple. Why Tim is not of a true Apple mindset.

The originators of Apple were dedicated to performance, dedicated to functionality and a computer that allowed anyone to go straight in and work and produce innovative and creative materials. Sadly Apple has degenerated into what glitz can be added to something, rather than how can we make this work better, how can we increase workmate or increase creativity and this was the main criterion as to why Apple fans preferred Apple over the Winter platform. iPhone yes, great innovation, iMac yes, great innovation, but now Tim you seem more interested in what extra glitz you can add or what extra emoticons, and that's not enough for some of your customers including me who have been here since Apple Lisa!

Apple is kicking off its first ever Apple Music Awards show with a live stream that's set to start at 6:30 p.m. Pacific Time or 9:30 p.m. Eastern Time.

The live stream can be watched through the Apple Music service on the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Mac. Apple's event is being held at the Steve Jobs Theater on the Apple Park campus, and will see Billie Eilish performing live. Earlier this week, Eilish invited fans to sign up to attend the show on Apple's campus.

billieeilishapplemusic-800x450.jpg

Eilish's performance will celebrate Apple's music awards, with Apple having announced winners on Monday. Eilish was named Apple's Global Artist of the Year, as well as Songwriter of the Year with her brother Finneas.

Apple named Lizzo the Breakthrough Artist of the Year, and the Song of the Year was "Old Town Road" by Lil Nas X. Each winner is receiving an Apple-designed award featuring a custom silicon wafer suspended between a polished sheet of glass and an aluminum body.

applemusicaward-800x691.jpg

Aside from Eilish's performance, there's no word on what to expect from the Apple Music Awards, so those interested should catch the show live.

Article Link: Watch Now: Apple Live Streaming First Ever Apple Music Awards With Billie Eilish Performance

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
When I was a teenager, music was the most important thing in my life. My ex's daughter is 15 and don't like popular music at all - except for Billie Eilish. She actually even bought a CD just to have a physical item, even though she has access to every bit of content on Spotify, Youtube etc.

That's what made me look this artist up and realize how incredibly popular she is with the younger audience. I'm 40, so I'm lost in terms of finding new music. There aren't record stores anymore and MTV stopped being relevant 15 years ago. My "Discover weekly" spotify playlist only play stuff I already know, plus the occasional Finnish (!) pop song, and the "New releases" playlist is filled with re-releases of stuff that got automatically removed from my playlists because Spotify's license for it got changed or whatever reason.

I think that most people in this thread - including me - overestimate our opinions' relevancy to Billie Eilish and her fans. They don't give a sh*t about Van halen (nor should they), Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Pink Floyd or whichever band we got hooked on and still consider the world's greatest. We are busy trying to get to see all of our idols once more before they die, while the kids are discovering their own music and it doesn't work like it used to. Just like when my generation sat in front of MTV for hours at a time, much to our parents' dismay.

I think that Billy Eilish will very well fill the largest stadiums in my part of the world whenever she decides to go on a world tour, and that there will be a lot of confused parents in the audience. In fact I checked the tour dates on her site and all of the UK concert next year are already sold out: https://www.billieeilish.com/

Oh and - I totally agree on Eminem even though he's seen his best days. I was always amused with how popular he is with middle-aged ladies.

There have always been awards for popularity. As for the quality argument - The main problem is who gets to decide what quality is. Clearly most teenagers and the average Macrumors reader disagrees on that particular point.

All about phases. My daughter at 8 loved Taylor swift. Now at 13 she can’t stand her. But even in the love phase she’s not flocking to an app to see an awards ceremony or live concert online or whatever Apple is doing. Or subbing to a service. Now tickets to a local concert sure.

I’ll also just add her current playlists are like garbage to my 49 year old ears. It’s horrible. I’m pretty open minded although I prefer classic rock, 70s and 80s and some 90s. I mean heck I don’t get it. I could tolerate my parents music as a kid. This I just can’t. I gift her airpods and tell her to use them. Lol

Maybe Apple does it as brand advertising. Gotta stay relevant. They should put a different voice to it. Cook just isn’t genuine. Jobs I can’t imagine is hawking something he doesn’t personally enjoy.

Reactions: brgjoe

ThiGeever

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
Are we ever going to find out what happened in that event? Normally they upload those videos to YouTube...

HappyMBAowner

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2015
Quebec
When I was a teenager, music was the most important thing in my life. My ex's daughter is 15 and don't like popular music at all - except for Billie Eilish. She actually even bought a CD just to have a physical item, even though she has access to every bit of content on Spotify, Youtube etc.

That's what made me look this artist up and realize how incredibly popular she is with the younger audience. I'm 40, so I'm lost in terms of finding new music. There aren't record stores anymore and MTV stopped being relevant 15 years ago. My "Discover weekly" spotify playlist only play stuff I already know, plus the occasional Finnish (!) pop song, and the "New releases" playlist is filled with re-releases of stuff that got automatically removed from my playlists because Spotify's license for it got changed or whatever reason.

I think that most people in this thread - including me - overestimate our opinions' relevancy to Billie Eilish and her fans. They don't give a sh*t about Van halen (nor should they), Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Pink Floyd or whichever band we got hooked on and still consider the world's greatest. We are busy trying to get to see all of our idols once more before they die, while the kids are discovering their own music and it doesn't work like it used to. Just like when my generation sat in front of MTV for hours at a time, much to our parents' dismay.

I think that Billy Eilish will very well fill the largest stadiums in my part of the world whenever she decides to go on a world tour, and that there will be a lot of confused parents in the audience. In fact I checked the tour dates on her site and all of the UK concert next year are already sold out: https://www.billieeilish.com/

Oh and - I totally agree on Eminem even though he's seen his best days. I was always amused with how popular he is with middle-aged ladies.

There have always been awards for popularity. As for the quality argument - The main problem is who gets to decide what quality is. Clearly most teenagers and the average Macrumors reader disagrees on that particular point.
Popularity is based on how many people like the music. You don't seem to know that quality is based on many other factors like the quality of instrument playing, which can only be achieved after many years of dedicated hard work to perfect mastering your instrument (guitar, violin, flute, voice, etc...), the quality of the lyrics based on grammar, usage of vocabulary, etc... ("**** the bitches" is not really considered good quality writing - I hope you'll agree on this one), the innovation of the musical writing (are you bringing a different approach to the melody you're proposing or just copying what's been done in the past), the quality of the recording (are you hearing all sorts of noices, are the various instruments well positioned in the mix,...) etc. etc. etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.