Watch OS 4 refuses to download

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AlliFlowers, Sep 19, 2017.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Anyone else seeing this? I initially started downloading about 3:00 this afternoon. It started out saying two hours. Then it said four hours. I thought maybe it was because I was at school and the network can be slow. So I started again when I got home. Then it said 24 hours. It has bounced all over from 34 minutes to for days. It also says it's paused. At one point it told me I needed to connect to WiFi. But I was already connected to WiFi. I reset the phone. I reset the watch. Same thing.

Anyone have any clue? I'd like to remove anything that might have downloaded and start again, but can't find the partial download.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

3. lwilliams macrumors 6502

lwilliams

Same problem here.

Started saying 6 hours, then 4, then 17 hours, then 3 hours, back to 6 hours now.

Updated two iPhones and AppleTV without any problem. What is going on with WatchOS?

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

If getting a wOS 4 download then obviously iOS 11 since iOS 10 can't see it.

5. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Definitely iOS 11. I found the partial download and deleted it, thinking I could start again. 11 hours! Now it's back to showing 2 hours. And one minute.

6. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I had to restart both of mine. My be worth a try.

7. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Did that already.

8. lwilliams macrumors 6502

lwilliams

9. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Here’s what worked for me: Go to settings both on the settings app and the watch app, delete any beta profiles, restart both devices, and then the update should be there.

10. lwilliams macrumors 6502

lwilliams

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Finally done on my S1, took almost 3 hours from start to finish.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I thought my AW updates was bad at 90 minutes! I remember it being slow last time, but this was worst.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, mine was slow, I finally took my watch off and phone and placed them on a table as I continued to work and not even focus on it. I'm not even sure how long it took, but it did finish.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I updated two iPhones, two iPad Pro 10.5s and my watch was still saying one hour remaining. They must be using completely different servers for the watch.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I did mine around 2:00pm, right after I updated my phone. I'm not sure when it finished downloading, because the updating process is incredibly slow (at least on my S0)

16. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Finally finished the download. Must've been close to six hours. I started the install before going to bed and just needed to finish the restart when I got up this morning.

Whew!

17. MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

It's not even coming up for me. Shows 3.2.3 as current. Trying phone reboot at the moment.

Guess the servers are overtaxed, or there is something wrong with the update and Apple pulled it?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    Wait. Watch OS4 requires iOS11 to load? What?

No way I'm upgrading the phone at this point due to a handful of incompatible apps that I need. Devs won't update them because they have moved on to a subscription model that is grossly overpriced for what it is.

18. jimfastcar1 macrumors member

jimfastcar1

I am waiting for MobileIron which hosts my corporate email to issue update to IOS 11 before I can do anything !

19. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Ummm....yea. No updating watch without first updating phone.

20. MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

This is YOUR fault!!! Do something about it!!!!

I should have picked up on this knowing Apple. The obsolesces forces owners to update, then they brag about the uptake rates at their next presentation.

I have three 32bit apps that are proving to be very difficult to replace. It would help if the App Store mentioned if apps were iOS11 compatible.

Could you at least fix that?

21. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Why are you picking on her??? She's not Apple.

This is the norm for these updates. There are aspects of WatchOS that require changes to iOS. It's been that way from the beginning. That you expected otherwise, well, that's your own lack of experience with these releases. Certainly not the fault of anyone on here.

22. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Would that I had the power!

As for the apps not being updated, devs weren't even allowed to update for iOS 11 until the GM was released. And some apps broke and repaired repeatedly through the beta process, so you never know if your app will really work until that GM is out. Give the devs some time. It's a process.

In the meanwhile, you're not missing much in Watch OS 4.

23. MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

Good grief, I was obviously kidding. Is the internet that obtuse, and primed to be offended? Been using Macs since 1985, I know the score, Apple has been doing this all along, worse now with iOS devices.

My little problem is due primarily to one greedy (internet loves calling people greedy, so you'll like that) developer, that essentially decided that a handful of users stupid enough to pay $130 per year for an app that essentially replaces a paper log, brings in more revenue than a host of one time buyers. He and his team, are using iOS11 to force people to upgrade or lose functionality. Most bailed a couple years ago, but the old app worked without support, until now. It is an opportunity for them to force upgrades for an app that we all paid for at least thrice for previous upgrades.

If the App Store plainly listed iOS compatibility, then this would be a far easier task. Few reviews on a niche, vertical market app.

I'd appreciate it if you too, would fix all of the above.

24. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'll get right on it.

25. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Heh...sarcasm is often difficult to distinguish on here (many will do a /S at the end of their post, just so it's clear) :)