Watch OS3 Battery Life

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dormammu, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    How is the battery on your Apple Watches holding up after the update?
    My battery doesn't seem to be fairing too well. I only have things running in the dock, and none of them outside of messages is using my location.

2. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

pretty much experiencing same battery life from watchOS 2. end the day with around 40-50% battery life left.

3. Dormammu thread starter macrumors 65816

Dormammu

Do you use the workout app? Minimal notifications, or tons?
    I'm at 60% and its only lunch time.

4. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

Too soon to tell but i think it is about the same for me.. which by the end of the day i'm about at 30%

5. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

Mine has been about the same, but, I am probably using it a lot more learning the new features.

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Well... it is less than a day since most of us updated our watches. And, we are probably all messing with them more than usual to figure out the features. So, probably, few people will have any meaningful insights today. Give it another week, and check in.

7. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

i get a ton of notifications throughout the day. i only use the workout app once i get home from work which my battery is around 60% at 5pm. if i do a workout i end the day around 30% otherwise its closer to 50-60%.

8. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

Been on it a week and I'm already at 57% for the day (8.5 hours). Previously, I'd be at around 70-75% at this point. Love the update, just not the battery life!

9. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

battery definitely draining faster. For the first time ever my watch was draining at the same rate as my iPhone 6s+

I think the culprit is Pedometer++ which i have in my dock and as a complication. It now counts my steps in real time whereas in watch os2 it on updated when you went into the app

10. ericg301 macrumors 65816

i think a lot of us are using the watch more with OS3, taking it for a test drive.

are you updating your apps on your phone too? if they have a Watch companion, it will use a lot of battery to update on on your watch over bluetooth. i probably updated 25 apps in the past 24 hours, half with Watch versions.

11. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

Couple of things to consider. Turn off background refresh for all apps you don't need updated immediately or aren't running OS3 yet. Does your dock have only OS3 updates apps.

12. JamerG macrumors member

Yeah, battery definitely an issue. Usually go to bed with around 50% but battery completely drained before the end of the day today. Sure I'm playing with it more as it's new, but not that much more...

13. Julien, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Mine just hit 10%. It does appear to be taking a hit. However lets keep in mind that we are all 'playing' and looking more today. So it is hard to tell just how much different it is until a few days has passed.

EDIT: I guess I should have added 129 minutes of total exercise (most with Workout App). Also I'm an early riser and started at 4:30AM ET. Looks like I will just make it if I leave it alone since I'm still at 8%.

14. ericg301 macrumors 65816

im at 56% -- been off the charger since 7AM. didn't get in my normal 40 minute workout though.

15. Daki macrumors member

Daki

I updated overnight. Mine was down to 60% about an hour after I put it on this morning (6am), but not sure if it was at 100% when I put it on - just assumed it was. 12 hours later I'm at 10%. Usually I'm still at about 50-60%. I suspect the update itself might not have allowed it to charge all the way. Will see how it goes.
    Love the updates other than that.

16. Andrew.s macrumors 6502

Andrew.s

My stats for today thus far including 21 work out minutes with the Watch at 68% battery still.

Usage: 1 hour, 34 minutes.
    Standby: 6 hours, 35 minutes.

17. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Well, I just got the 10% low battery warning. First day with wOS3. I have not seen that warming in months. Usually, I am at NLT 40% at bedtime, and I still have hours of daylight left.

18. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Just hit 50%. Watch app reports 28 hours of standy by, 3 hours of usage.

19. Daki macrumors member

Daki

My battery consumption seems normal now. I am convinced that the earlier comments about the drain being caused by all of the apps updating at once after the OS3 update is the culprit. I'm still playing around with it, but the battery is not draining anymore like it was this morning :)

20. mguzzi macrumors regular

It feels like a new product. I love Watch OS 3 but the battery is definitely draining faster. I charge my watch every night so it really doesn't matter very much to me.

21. Dormammu, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

Dormammu thread starter macrumors 65816

Dormammu

I actually don't have any third party apps so no need to worry there. I also turned off background app refresh on 75% of the items on the list (things I don't access often). We'll see how it goes

22. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

I'be been on the Betas since day one and it has been better and better with each update. I will say that I don't see a difference. In battery life. I don't pay attention honestly. I never have a problem making it all the way until the end of the day. I have everything pushed from my iPhone to my watch and I use the work out app about once a day for about 30 minutes during my walk. That is about it though.

23. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

We are all playing with the new features and faces, so it's a bad time to judge battery life. I'm down to 19% as I type this. That's unusually low for me after 13 or 14 hours. Even after 18 hours I'm usually still at 25-35%. Have I been played with it a lot today? Yes. Yes I have! :D

Sean

24. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Mine wasn't bad. Wore it from 730am to 10pm and was 64%. Normally with a workout would be closer to 30-40 but I hadn't worked out.

25. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

Mine took a noticeable hit in battery life, but it's only been one day. After my morning run my watch is usually down to about 85%, but yesterday it hit 75%. At least the running interface is much better. I'm going to give it a few days and see how the new features effect battery life before drawing any conclusions.