Watch Out For Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kolax, Jun 22, 2012.

1. kolax macrumors G3

This is putting me off using Amazon.

I was opted in to a free Amazon Prime trial during a recent purchase a month or so ago, which I decided to go ahead and use (Amazon Prime is free and quickish shipping). After my order arrived, I cancelled Amazon Prime (I got an email confirming) and I took my debit card details off Amazon.

I bought a few things on Amazon last week and at no point was Amazon Prime mentioned during any of the transactions (I paid delivery on the items). My card annoyingly was stored on Amazon again, and a few days later, Amazon sneakily went ahead and charged me for a year's worth of Amazon Prime, which is $80.

Luckily, I was able to get a full refund because I hadn't used Amazon Prime for anything since getting charged for it (and it was actually just a 3 click process, so no complaints on cancelling it).

I'm just furious I was signed up for this service (cancelling the trial clearly did nothing, despite a confirmation email), especially when they debited my account without notice or me confirming I even wanted it.

Just beware in case you end up caught up in this and unknowingly use Amazon Prime.

2. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

They have another annoying habit too....I have a BOACC card and it's registered with Amazon as well as my normal Debit cards.

If you don't change the card at checkout, Amazon automatically charges your CC....Just a heads up.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Had you read the terms of service, and not removed your info (Amazon does this automatically) you would not have experienced a problem. It's clearly stated in TOS how the Prime service works.

By removing it yourself it triggered their automated fraud alert which extended the time while they manually had your account inspected.

I've used Amazon frequently for years & have had the same exemplary shipping & billing experience I enjoy with Apple.

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

All I did was remove my debit card, I didn't remove any other info (e.g. name, address). I usually remove my debit card a lot because I dislike them by default automatically keeping my details.

If I cancel the Prime trial, it shouldn't matter if I remove my debit card or not. And if my debit card gets re-added after a purchase 3 weeks later, then it shouldn't automatically sign me up to Prime again without even notifying me.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I like Amazon Prime just for the expedited shipping. Don't really use their streaming service all that much since i have Hulu.

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I love Amazon Prime. Wish their instant movie selection and interface was better, but the service I love.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Love amazon prime. I was skeptical about paying the money for prime but I fel it's worth it.
    I went as far as getting the amazon visa. I leave that card on the account.
    Between amazon prime and reward bucks I have saved over $300.
    Personally I would never put a debit card on any on line retailer.
    I would rather not risk my cash funds when I can have the security of a credit card. It's more difficult getting your cash back into your account on a holiday weekend than making a phone call and disputing a charge.
    However, I know a number of people that use their debit card for online transactions.

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i us amazon a lot and Prime has paid itself many times over with saved shipping costs.

however, if they did sign the OP without consent, that's not cool.

and I have to check out what pother services (other then shipping) i get with prime. is it some sort of movie rental service, (a la netflix)?

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I go with Amazon free shipping. Usually I can afford to wait. :)

11. Surely Guest

Surely

Same here. I do it strictly for the free two day shipping and the extra discounts on my Subscribe & Save items.

I don't think it was them trying something sneaky. My guess is an error occurred in the computer system. It's not like there's some guy sitting there going through accounts and trying to make sneaky charges.

I've had great experiences with their customer service reps, so I'm not surprised that you were able to easily get a full refund for the mistaken charge.

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Amazon customer service is second to Apple. It's been great for me too

13. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

They have a digital movie rental service that is similar to Netflix. They also have some free e-books for Amazon Prime members.

Edit: I just make sure I have $25 of stuff in my cart before checking out to get free shipping...

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I find that Apple's customer service is second to Amazon's!:p I never have to hold longer than 15 seconds (the hold time with Apple can be long), and they're very quick to resolve any issue I've had. If I've ever been dissatisfied with the way a transaction took place, they're quick to credit my account or they extend my Prime by a month.

15. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I love amazon prime. everytime I order something with Prime shipping I always get it one or two days alter, no more.

I am also paying only $39 for four years (student). With all the shopping I do on amazon and their instant videos this is an amazing deal.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I was not being critical of your action, simply explaining how it works.

Apparently they have quite a few customers who attempt to cheat the system, sign up for prime, get free shipping, then remove their card.

So their automated system is setup to trigger an alert if the customer accesses the account and makes changes (like removing your card). While it appears (to you) that they added it back, it stays on their system (no matter what you do) until an Amazon employee reviews the alert and that's where the delay is. Once reviewed the customer is charged for the appropriate shipping amount, prime is closed out, and the customer is refunded.

It's not too much unlike the regular refund system they use when a product it returned. If the customer follows the return procedure properly, everything is automated, and the credit is issued immediately, it's really amazing how fast their system issues credits or refunds.

17. swamyg1 macrumors regular

Amazon Prime is a FANTASTIC service. I don't know what I would do without it. It's such a good value it's not even funny. You'll find yourself ordering everything from Amazon and saving tons of money because it's so convenient.

Those Amazonians, pure genius!

18. rogelio1017 macrumors member

sorry OP but Amazon Prime is awesome and you just dont read terms and conditions well.

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No problems with Amazon Prime for years. Plus, it sounds like they gave you no hassle when you brought up the dispute with them. Not sure what you're complaining about.

20. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I was just annoyed that they charged me after I had opted out for it. $80 when bills need paid is a lot of money.

The advantages to Amazon Prime do look great, and the no-fuss refund from them was fine.

Point in this post was just to warn folk who sign up for the free-trial and opt out - that they might still get charged/resigned up to it without authorising it.

21. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I love prime. It pays for itself in saved gas going to the store. It's cheaper to buy there and I don't spend the gas going to the store. With free two day shipping it's not like it takes forever to get to you. I've had it for several years now.

22. anutharoundu macrumors member

I was always worried about this with them repeatedly offering the free trial every time I log in. Thanks for the tip.
    [​IMG]

23. iasky macrumors member

iasky

Amazon Prime is Terrific

I have been using Amazon Prime for years and it has always been great. If you like to get your stuff fast and cheap at a competitive price then you can not go wrong, even at $80/year. You can share the service with up to 5 relatives. They allow you to use different shipping addresses using the recipients credit card. I have gotten may items over 50 lbs delivered the next day for $3.99. In all these years using the service Amazon never tried to secretly do anything, just the opposite. Hopefully, this was just a mistake or misunderstanding, because I would hate to have to leave my amazon prime behind.

24. tekno macrumors 6502a

Slightly unrelated, but I can't help advise that you should consider never using a debit card online. Credit cards offer a lot more comeback if things go wrong (after all, its not your money you're spending) whereas someone getting hold of your debit card details could drain your bank account.

25. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

True, but some places charge you for using a credit card.