watch space black SS is really, really nice

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by va.cambridge, Apr 11, 2015.

1. va.cambridge macrumors newbie

Went for my try-on appointment today. I've been flip-flopping between the space-black and stainless steel w/ Milanese loop. I had always planned on getting the space-black but the milanese was my strong backup.

Full-disclosure: I ordered the space-black and got a mid-May delivery date, then panicked and ordered the milanese loop one as well (which is arriving earlier, possibly on launch day). :D

After reading through the various posts on this forum -- especially the ones that ooh'd and ahh'd over the milanese band -- I convinced myself that I would keep the stainless steel w/ milanese loop. My wife told me I was probably rationalizing it because it's what's arriving first (she's very smart and knows me well).

The space-black -- when viewed in the display case -- actually looks lighter ... More like a gunmetal color. I realized that it's because the display has a fluorescent light shining on the sides (similar to what jewelry stores do).

When my try-on appointment began, the apple store employee that was helping me out pulled out the space-black watch first. All I can say is that when I saw it in-person, it was *exactly* what I was hoping it would look like. It's a very deep black, not like the grayer color in the display. I'd say it looks a lot closer to the black pictures on the Apple website.

Honestly, after seeing the space-black in person I've decided to go with my initial instinct (insert "once you go black" joke here). I know it will limit my band choices but that's okay because the black link band looks and feels great (and some of the leather loops and sport bands still match it).

Some thoughts (which coincide with what a lot of other folks have said here):

- the milanese loop is also really nice! As a lot of folks have said, the band is super comfortable and the magnetic clasp seems very strong but very easy to open, adjust, etc.

- the 42mm was definitely the right size for me. I've got a wrist size of about 165mm. The 38mm seems a lot daintier than the 42mm. I think this is due to the fact that the bands themselves are also less wide. That said, in-person the watches don't seem obnoxiously large at all. A lot of it has to do with the angle of the pictures while someone is wearing it.

- the stainless steel w/ link band is the heaviest watch (google "apple watch weight chart") BUT it doesn't feel uncomfortable or too heavy.

- I can confirm what everyone has been saying: the flouroelastemer sport bands FEEL great! Definitely not rubbery and does not feel cheap at all.

Anyway, just my 2-cents. Pictures below!

Attached Files:

2. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

I was actually extremely unimpressed by the Space Black version once I saw it in person. It looks like plastic to me in some lighting conditions.

3. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

I agonized over whether to go with the SS link or the black SS link and going with the SS link. I was kicking myself thinking I may like the black SS link better but, after seeing it in person, I am really happy I chose the SS link bracelet.

The black SS bracelet is nice but my opinion says it looks much nicer in pics/video than it does in real life. On the other hand, the SS bracelet looks even better in person than it does in pics and video.

4. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

I just came back from my Apple Watch try on appointment and I came away with virtually the exact opposite of your thoughts.

I looked at the Space Black Stainless Steel and did not like it at all. I thought it looked a little cheap and was definitely my least preferred watch. I would rather get the aluminium sport watch than the Space Black Stainless Steel. The Silver Stainless Steel with Link Bracelet looked great though. It was stylish and classical. My thoughts were that the Space Black was just an option as it is the 'now colour', just like when cameras and other electrical equipment went from silver to black (and then back to silver) as colour options.

I also tried on a few different bands as well.

I tried the Milanese Loop and it was terrible! It looked and felt cheap. The Apple assistant and my wife both thought it was not a good band (although the Apple assistant did say it was quite popular). The Milanese Loop band definitely looked feminine (in our opinion).

The Leather Loop was quite nice. Whilst it did not feel like leather, it was quite comfortable and easy to use.

The Sport Band (like others have said) was quite comfortable and was pretty nice.

The pick of the bunch in terms of bands was definitely the Stainless Steel Link Bracelet. It was comfortable and stylish, but it did not have the luxury feel I was expecting. The stainless steel link band on my current watch felt nicer, but it was still the best band available.

My band preference would be:

1. Stainless Steel Link Bracelet
    2. Leather Loop
    3. Classic Buckle
    4. Sport Band
    5. Milanese Loop

(I did not try the modern buckle as I only tried the 42mm watch)

The end result was I got the 42mm Stainless Steel with Sport Band as well as an Stainless Steel Link Bracelet.

Just goes to show that everyone's opinion's differ.

5. va.cambridge thread starter macrumors newbie

Totally agree ... We all have our own opinion/style and that's what's great about Apple's offering. Beyond the technology they've put together a package that lets us -- as consumers -- choose the one that fits each of our individual tastes best.

For me, that is and continues to be the space-black watch! :cool:

6. Branskins macrumors 65816

Do you have anymore pictures of the space black?

It looks wonderful!

Thanks

7. d.steve macrumors regular

Agreed on these points. I was surprised by how light the ss link is.

My personal preference is that I dislike the space black ss with black band. The watch loses a bit of definition. I like the visual of seeing more separation/contrast between the screen, bezel, and band.

8. va.cambridge thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, here are a couple more. The side-by-side picture is similar to the one above but looks lighter (more dark gunmetal than carbon black) when light reflects on it. I think it's kinda dapper.

Attached Files:

9. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It's also 1100 dollars. That's insane. It's also going to be super hard to find bands for it because it's black. It won't look right if you use a normal band.

10. Sammy12939 macrumors newbie

11. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

12. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

tried on the 42mm SS tonight. beautiful beautiful piece of tech. wish i could had gotten the black but was a bit to pricey.

13. saschke macrumors 6502

I'm glad you're happy with your 42mm choice. At least from the picture, it looks way to large IMHO though.

14. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

It's really not. It's the perfect size. It's smaller than it seems in the pics

15. va.cambridge thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed ... The angle of a lot of the pictures posted (including mine above) makes the watch seem larger. In-person they really aren't obnoxiously large. That's one of the things a lot of people have noticed when seeing them in the store.

The 42mm doesn't feel bigger than say my pebble (should've brought that along to compare). Also compared to my Burberry 42mm Chronograph the Apple watch was definitely lighter.

16. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

Okay you may have single handedly swung me back to the space black, thanks for the awesome pictures! I was all set on space black and then I saw it in the case I was really disappointed in how it looked. It still looked great it just looked a few shades darker than the normal link so I wasn't going to reduce my band options significantly for that but if it looks like this I'm sticking with it. I also really loved the leather loop way more than I thought I would in store so I really feel like I'm not limiting my band options too much since I can still get the ones I like best. I'll probably go with space black, a leather loop and a sport with space grey pin and that should keep me covered for different situations and all should still look good with the black. I'm going to have to try and find a store that has it so I can take a look at it though. I'm around Chicago so I'm hoping the Michigan Avenue store will have it available for try on.

17. va.cambridge thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad to help!

Thel lighting really does affect how all the bands look. The Milanese loop looked great under the display case with the fluorescent light. Still looked nice outside of it during my try-on but I'd say it was a little less shimmer-y.

The space black looks just like the one in Phil Shiller's picture (posted in another thread here). It's a deep dark black.

Current plan is to get a sport band. Possibly the black one. Or maybe the white ... For yknow, that storm trooper look! :)

18. shenfrey macrumors 68000

watch space black SS is really, really nice

I can't help but think it looks plastic, even worst a SS in a horrible plastic protective case. That's what it reminds me, of but this is personal preference.

19. uwdude macrumors 6502a

If he normally wears button down shirts in dark colors like that, I can see why he would like the space black, because it would go well with that kind of wardrobe. The Milanese wouldn't match with the way he dresses as well.

In fact, living here in Florida, and having a casual office, I never wear anything but jeans and t-shirt to work, and nothing but shorts and t-shirt at home, so my worry was looking too dressy. The Milanese might look a bit odd with my wardrobe, so I ordered a SS with sport band, and going for a try-on appointment today to think about a leather loop band. Although true with my casual wear the space black might have also been a good choice!

20. bacATapple macrumors regular

IMO, one of the things that can make the 42mm look too big in some pictures is WHERE it is worn. I tend to like watches worn under my wrist bone, not on top of it. Once again, just personal preference :)

21. jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

My friends said "oh that plastic one?" Of the SS SB When I showed them favorites before preorder.
    I was shocked the photo evoked that reaction since I knew price and materials, which weren't showing on grid when showed friends my options.
    I make still order, enjoy my milanese 42mm while waiting for SS SB.

22. Branskins macrumors 65816

I really don't understand the "plastic" thing.

I don't know much about watches, so does anyone have a picture showing a similar looking plastic watch??

23. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

That Space Black looks quite sharp on you. I like it. :cool:

24. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Space Black SS. Looks great. It looks black when taken out of the showcase. As mentioned the lighting in the showcase give it a grayish reflection. However the pictures on Apples website are an accurate black
    After seeing this watch in person I was impressed. Yes it's pricey but every luxury watch is

25. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Ya, these plastic comments are bewildering to me as well. Where in the world is anybody getting "plastic". Seeing these in photos and in person, the last thing I would ever think is that it looked like plastic.