Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
Guys,

I don't think that the Sport Edition is meant to be worn every day. If you open Apple Watch (SS) site there is this sentence: "Apple Watch is designed to be worn during all your daily activities, from morning workouts to nights out." But If you open the Sport Edition there is nothing about daily working routine or something like that. And on every photo I have found with Apple Watch Sport edition there is noone with them in work, school, eating a dish or whatever.

That is why they gave to Christy Turlington Apple Watch with few bands and not the Sport one.

That is why Tim Cook wears Apple Watch with white sport band.

It's just a guess but to me it looks like that they've made them only for workouts and some minor daily routine. But If you want them for daily routine and charge them every night you'll end up with scratched back and front.

The difference between Apple Watch and Sport Watch is that the Sport version glass is tougher and more impact resistant - for sport only. But for daily routine when your watch will be encountered with clothes and let's say "ordinary scraping" the Apple Watch with Stainless Steel and Saphire Glass wil be MUCH more resistant.

Your thoughts, please.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Guys,

I don't think that the Sport Edition is meant to be worn every day. If you open Apple Watch (SS) site there is this sentence: "Apple Watch is designed to be worn during all your daily activities, from morning workouts to nights out." But If you open the Sport Edition there is nothing about daily working routine or something like that. And on every photo I have found with Apple Watch Sport edition there is noone with them in work, school, eating a dish or whatever.

That is why they gave to Christy Turlington Apple Watch with few bands and not the Sport one.

It's just a guess but to me it looks like that they've made them only for workouts and some minor daily routine. But If you want them for daily routine and charge them every night you'll end up with scratched back and front.

The difference between Apple Watch and Sport Watch is that the Sport version glass is tougher and more impact resistant - for sport only. But for daily routine when your watch will be encountered with clothes and let's say "ordinary scraping" the Apple Watch with Stainless Steel and Saphire Glass wil be MUCH more resistant.

Your thoughts, please.

As long as it lasts a year till the next model, then no worry :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you're reading too much into that. Of course the sport can and will be used all day.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I didn't meant that but let's say for daily use.

This is one of the most ridiculous assumptions I've ever seen on this site..

If that was the case, this watch would only have the fitness tracking abilities. It would not have the ability to add apps such as Uber, or to send messages, answer calls, get emails, etc.

What a crock.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
It is ion X glass, it is going to get scratched. Also it sucks for workouts other than running and biking for which you are better off with the phone and bluetooth HR anyway.

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
I don't see any resason why it can't be used all day on a daily basis.

Aluminium case. Yes it is 60% stronger. BUT that doesn't mean it is scratch resistant it only means that on the impact it won't deform like ordinary aluminium alloys because it is what? It is 60% stronger:)

I can't find it anymore but on the SS site was written something like: "It is 40% more resistant to nicks and scratches than standart alloys." Why did they mentioned this on SS and not the Sport Edition. And we all know how aluminium is scratch resistant, don't we?

refslady

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Thawing North
Guys,

Your thoughts, please.

They did not show each version with a Mickey Mouse face either but I expect to be able to use that face on any version. Same thing for the astronomy face....

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Aluminium case. Yes it is 60% stronger. BUT that doesn't mean it is scratch resistant it only means that on the impact it won't deform like ordinary aluminium alloys because it is what? It is 60% stronger:)

Oh no, the horror! My watch could get scratched! Whatever shall I do?!? :rolleyes:

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
This is one of the most ridiculous assumptions I've ever seen on this site..

If that was the case, this watch would only have the fitness tracking abilities. It would not have the ability to add apps such as Uber, or to send messages, answer calls, get emails, etc.

What a crock.

Why not? You'll be somewhere in the wild running. You'll stop at the grocery store. You'll buy some food. You'll pay with Apple Pay and than you'll order a cab via some app on your Apple Watch Sport. Simple as that. If they didn't include the other abillities on Sport version than many people won't buy it.

----------

So we shouldn't use our aluminum iPhones on a daily basis?

original.jpg

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Why not? You'll be somewhere in the wild running. You'll stop at the grocery store. You'll buy some food. You'll pay with Apple Pay and than you'll order a cab via some app on your Apple Watch Sport. Simple as that. If they didn't include the other abillities on Sport version than many people won't buy it.

My point is, there is nothing at all that would suggest it's not for every day use.

It has the exact same functions, functions useful all day, every day, at work, at the gym, at home.

The only difference is that it is made of slightly less premium materials. That's it.

There is absolutely no reason you can't wear it all day long, every day. You can even buy one of the other, nicer watch bands and use that with your Watch Sport when not exercising.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

What are you rambling about? The Sport, Watch and Edition run the same wOS and are 100% functionally identical.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

----------

They're using a stronger Aluminum for Apple Watch Sport than they used for the iPhones. They even called out how this is a new, stronger Aluminum that will set the standard for their future aluminum use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.