Watches. Can't decide maybe you guys can help!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BrettFarve04, Dec 10, 2008.

1. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

2. descartes macrumors 6502

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

"So my girlfriend is going to buy me a watch...She said 'don't worry about price...i want you to wear it all the time'"

Yikes, maybe it's just me, but that sounds like a dangerous situation.

Both watches have way too much going on for my taste.

4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I'd go with whichever one has a thinner profile, if you can figure that out. But that's just my personal preference, I like my watches to be thin-ish if possible.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think both are fugly. Too busy. I have this watch

[​IMG]

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can't even see the 2nd one, so I'll have to go with the Citizen. ;)

But yeah, it's too busy. If it means anything, I really like my Tissot PRS 200. I've had it for 8 years. Bought it in Venice when I was travelling. Someone stole my watch earlier, and I had been saving and saving to buy a decent watch (and to travel).

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The first one of the two. But neither are my taste and yes, I wear men's watches.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Since you didn't mention a Tag, I'll go with the first one. Not really my taste, but hey.

Or go for the the timeless look with this style.

9. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I had the same situation, picking between a multi-function black watch, and an identical one that was silver/titanium/steel/shiny.

They both have their "look", but a silver colored watch, assuming you are not a teen and don't have to dress up for work with a tie, is a little more versatile. So in your exact same situation, I opted for a multi-function watch that actually passes for a more formal, less rugged looking watch even though it was still "rugged".

I tested it's ruggedness and I stupidly killed that watch. It wasn't until later when I went to the local Rolex dealer did I find out that even tough outdoor watches need to have their rubber gaskets replaced yearly. :)

As for these great Citizen aviator watches, I looked at a similar Blue Angels model, and was told even though it says 100 meters, don't even get that thing anywhere near water. I had a dive watch and while it was good for a year around all types of water, even the extra gaskets on that thing wore out and my watch got waterlogged. Any 50-100 meter watch, regardless of price is much more vulnerable to water damage than the 200-300 meter watches. So if you get this model, baby it when around water.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Anyway, here's a cool, similar choice to your informal black watch look, which almost can make it with a suit and tie, just in case. But still not as formal as titanium/steel.

Very unlikely to get stolen because it can be mistook for a $70 watch from same maker.

This G-Shock is very informal, takes the design largely from it's famous low cost black plastic models. While rugged, this one is laced with 18KT gold, and only 3,220 Euros ($4,157 US dollars) :)

It's the type of watch people will not notice, unless they are G-Shock fans like me, but nobody will suspect that there is real 18kt gold on this model or that there are only a few pieces out there made making this a highly collectible watch.

Attached Files:

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Both watches are too big for my tastes, but I'd recommend the Citizen Eco-Drive. I have an Eco-Drive (although my watch has a much much thinner profile and is very minimalistic compared to the one you posted), and it is fantastic. There is no battery changing required.

13. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I've got a PRC 200. Love it... I highly recommend Tissot.

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

For those prices, wouldn't you be better off with an iPhone? It tells time and a whole lot more. If not an iPhone, Touch or the like, maybe a netbook, speakers or something else you might use all the time. I guess I'm just not a big fan of watches.

15. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Those prices are actually pretty cheap compared to many MR member's watches (mine included). If you're looking to get a nice watch, $400 is not very expensive.

16. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

17. descartes macrumors 6502

tissot generally makes great watches for the price.

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

To me, that's pricey. The Citizen Blue Angels watch for $499 list is $249 at the local store where I live, and the Skyhawk is $239 on eBay from a major dealer or two.

My $150 dollar G-Shock watch I got was had for $104 from Macy's and that was as far as I was going to go on this simple dive watch. The dive center has cheaper watches but they are all plastic, so I prefer the metal, stainless steel bezel type watches as they are very versatile and generic for all purposes.

There are some Tag Heuers for $299 on discount and they actually seem quite nice and almost in my price range. They are digital, and not automatic, but they are loaded with features. Seiko also makes some great three hundred dollar watches that do almost everything as well as the Swiss Army Knife company watches.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

To be honest, I didn't really care for either watch.

Personally, my taste tends toward the more clean designs of Movado. If you are looking at the $300-$400 range anyways, why not get a truly classic watch you won't get tired of?

I mean there just isn't beating this kind of simplicity. ;)

20. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

"Movado: So You Never Know What Time It Is..."

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of Movado's, but I demand a little more precision out of the time notation on my watches.

Citizen makes a nice watch, but I think you should take a look at Tissot's as mentioned previously. They are excellent for the price.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The way I look at it, a Movado gives you a very rough indication of the time (down to about the 5 minute level I'd say). Most of us don't need precision timing on a daily basis (even if you catch a train, you have a fairly good idea of when the train is going to come and you're not checking the time incessantly).

For those times you need the time to be very precise, you can always use your phone.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Or a Tissot. :p

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah, but if you're going to put up with that blight, might as well go for an atomic clock. :p

24. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

See for me it comes down to test taking, sometimes I need to be down to the minute; 5 minutes makes a big difference on those Accounting finals. Unfortunately this is one of those things that a phone is a no go. I'd get one, but it would probably be my formal occasion, simple, doesn't clash with my cufflinks type of watch. You can't wear a gold jewel encrusted Rolex all the time.