Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Do you think that over time, we will get more watchfaces? One thing I like about Pebble watches is that we can design our own by adding our own images, etc. That's one thing I'll miss by buying an :apple: Watch.

2macORnot2mac

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
I think you might be able to use any picture you want as a background for one of the watch faces.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
No :) Considering dynamic wall papers aren't open to the public and apple has not added more of them. If they opened up for them, it would only be using the app store to prevent "copyrighted" looks. They may not want to police that.

Edit: if there would be any new ones, it will be a few in iOS 9 or launch of the version 2.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apple's reasoning will be to provide a quality experience on their quality watch. They would likely point to Android Wear as being an example of bad design in this regard.

In some respects that would be true - there are a ton of crappy watch face since anyone can create one.

However - it is the ultimate in personalization. There are some amazing watch faces. Then there are some great apps that let you build your own. I love the flexibility.

While Apple may not or shouldn't allow just "any" watch face to be in the app store. I do think they should allow a user to design their own to use.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I think Apple will allow you to buy "Apple Approved" watch faces for your watch, so they can make money from them.

I don't feel they will offer, what I would call a "watch face designer kit" unless, due to the number of other smartwatches out there that will allow this taking the majority of market share, they feel forced to open this up in a bid to temp people to switch to their watch.
Much in the same way they had to eventually back down and make larger phones after digging their heels in for so many years.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I would like to see a watchface that shows 24 hour time.. Like Railroad and Military watches.

It can be switched to 24 hour mode. Not sure if this only for the digital type displays.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-16%20at%2010.17.59%20AM_zpslwcppep4.jpg

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I am talking about a classic analog type display.

I guess you missed the part where I said "Not sure if this only for the digital type displays". :eek:

Have you seen all the 'analog' faces with the 24 HourTime enabled to BE sure none have a 24 hour moment? Also even if not that could be added at any time. So if not you could make a suggestion to Apple.;)

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Android Wear originally didn't allow for custom watchfaces, they eventually allowed it. I'd bet Apple will follow suit (remember they are going to be allowing native apps running on the device, if Apple doesn't offer custom watchfaces, developers will just make their own battery-eating watch face apps.

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for all the replies. I agree with this poster:

Apple's reasoning will be to provide a quality experience on their quality watch. They would likely point to Android Wear as being an example of bad design in this regard.

In some respects that would be true - there are a ton of crappy watch face since anyone can create one.

However - it is the ultimate in personalization. There are some amazing watch faces. Then there are some great apps that let you build your own. I love the flexibility.

While Apple may not or shouldn't allow just "any" watch face to be in the app store. I do think they should allow a user to design their own to use.

Cook was going on about personalisation, so to me we should be able to create our own watchfaces.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks for all the replies. I agree with this poster:

Cook was going on about personalisation, so to me we should be able to create our own watchfaces.

Agree 100%

But I don't think they will allow this.
Not unless, in some way they feel their hand is being forced. For example, when Android wear numbers are exceeding Apple watch number which they may very well do in time, unless Apple opens up the watch.

Vasty, and i mean VASTLY more people don't have iPhones around the world than do, and every one of those hundreds of millions? is currently not even a possible customer for Apple unless something changes.

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
I think they could replace that Mickey with any character and make a killing at 99¢/each – even after any required royalties.

Do you know how many people would buy a animated watchface of Stewie Griffin, Homer Simpson, Elsa/Anna/Olaf, Buzz/Woody, Spongebob, etc?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Do you think that over time, we will get more watchfaces? One thing I like about Pebble watches is that we can design our own by adding our own images, etc. That's one thing I'll miss by buying an :apple: Watch.

The watch faces are an important aspect of the Apple Watch. I hope Apple keeps the Quality control of this aspect. I too have a Pebble and there are lots of mediocre watch faces that clutter the pebble app store.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
The watch faces are an important aspect of the Apple Watch. I hope Apple keeps the Quality control of this aspect. I too have a Pebble and there are lots of mediocre watch faces that clutter the pebble app store.

Mediocre is high praise for most of them. Thankfully you can sort the pebble store by most popular and recommended.

I'm surprised a little that we cannot chose the background picture for that option that shows landscapes. Are we all SURE that picture is not changeable?

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003

I think watch brands will start designing digital versions of their faces and sell them on the App Store

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

Don't you trust yourself, and feel that anything you personally would select would be tacky, and you hope Apple does not allow you to do so?

Tacky is totally in the eye of the beholder.
To me, people who plaster tattoo's up their arm look horrid and tacky, however, I accept other people seem to think it looks cool.

Does that mean, I think tattoo's should be banned due to my taste?
Nope. To each his/her own.

Perhaps I want a photo of Pink Panther on my Apple watch as I could be a massive Pink Panther fan, But Apple may never let me have it. That would be sad.

Hence, why I hope in time Apple give in to pressure and release a "watch face designer kit" app for everyone to use, simply to personalise their own device.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I could see them selling watch faces like they sell ringtones and possibly letting developers design their own and sell them in the app store. That would be the ideal situation but who knows.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I could see them selling watch faces like they sell ringtones and possibly letting developers design their own and sell them in the app store. That would be the ideal situation but who knows.

Yes, I expect that would happen, but I'm curious as to why you feel this is "ideal"

For example, say your iMac came with 10 wallpapers, you could not select your own, but buy new ones from iTunes.
Would you consider that "ideal"

Ideal, surely would be you can buy professionally made ones if you wanted, or also create your own personal ones if you wanted.

No?

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Yes, I expect that would happen, but I'm curious as to why you feel this is "ideal"

For example, say your iMac came with 10 wallpapers, you could not select your own, but buy new ones from iTunes.
Would you consider that "ideal"

Ideal, surely would be you can buy professionally made ones if you wanted, or also create your own personal ones if you wanted.

No?

Well I'm not a developer but I'm sure there is more to designing a watch face than making your own wallpaper.

There has to be code behind the faces to make the arms/numbers move and to display things like calendar events, weather, etc. Its not like you can go into photoshop and draw a picture of a watch and suddenly it would function like a normal watch on the Apple Watch.

I say it would be ideal for developers to create them and sell them in the App store because for one Apple would be able to review which ones make it into the store and ensure they work properly (just like they do with apps) and also if developers are making new watch faces instead of just Apple, we are bound to get a larger selection.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
Nobody's saying you can't get your ugly, tacky tattoo, Piggie.

But if the tattoo artist refuses to give you your ****** tattoo because it would harm his reputation as an artist, that's his right to refuse service to you. It's also your right to find a tattoo artist whose artistic integrity doesn't get in the way of a sound business transaction. (In other words, if you want to get a watch that lets you put any face you want on it, get something that's not the Apple Watch.)

As for why designing a watch face that can be sold is ideal ... well, gee. Do you have to program a wallpaper? No. It's a static image. But you have to program a watch face. (And yes, there are people out there who, get this, sell PICTURES of stuff for MONEY. And you can probably pay them money to get a digital copy of that picture to use as your wallpaper.)

You get to "create your own personal watch face" by customizing the type, color, and complications. That's actually a lot of customization for Apple right out of the gate.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Well I'm not a developer but I'm sure there is more to designing a watch face than making your own wallpaper.

There has to be code behind the faces to make the arms/numbers move and to display things like calendar events, weather, etc. Its not like you can go into photoshop and draw a picture of a watch and suddenly it would function like a normal watch on the Apple Watch.

I say it would be ideal for developers to create them and sell them in the App store because for one Apple would be able to review which ones make it into the store and ensure they work properly (just like they do with apps) and also if developers are making new watch faces instead of just Apple, we are bound to get a larger selection.

For an analogue watch face it's only 4 images.
A background image of the face and numerals or whatever static graphic you like. Then 3 other individual images, one for each hand.
The app will then just overlay the 3 watch hand images over the background static image and there is your face.
That's very simple for a basic watch face. Of course their are no real limitations as to some really way out and different ones as can be seen by some if the android wear custom faces.
I hope apple does not clamp down too hard and be too much of a nanny over this.
They can see all the great android wear faces, so one would think they would like their watch to have an even larger custom face library than android wear.

Does any dev here know if you can make custom faces yet with the tools apple has so far given to Devs, or rather the bits apple have allowed access to so far?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

I think you can safely assume that this will be the case pretty soon. For the first couple of months when the early adopters are showing the watch to people for the first time, Apple will control the face as part of the event.

But over time when individualization becomes more important, there will be a watch face section of the App store.

I'm looking forward to Edition level watch faces that are sold in the App store for $500 and are programmed to only work on the Edition style watches. We need more ways to convince the rich to part with their money and Apple is gearing itself to do its part for society in this process of social redistribution of wealth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.