Watching Apple Keynote changed my mind again

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kcjohn, Jul 2, 2010.

1. kcjohn macrumors member

kcjohn

I had preordered the iphone 4 switching from Sprint. The alleged problems with the antennae made me cancel my order. Went to the Sprint store and messed with HTC EVO and loved it. Now I just watched the iPhone 4 keynote and I'm wanting the iPhone 4 now. Tough decesion

2. faith4more macrumors regular

Evo kind of like a high tech caveman. All brute but no elegance.

iphone pure elegance. I have owned 2g, 3g and the now 4.

Don't blame you. Evo pretty girl from a distance but get close and realize has no teeth.

3. Steve Ballmer macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer

I'd rather have a functional phone than a work of art that doesn't work at all.

4. SuperDuper-C macrumors member

Despite all the negative things you could say about Steve Jobs, he is a fantastic public speaker and marketer. You have to at least give him that lol.

5. kcjohn thread starter macrumors member

kcjohn

Jobs is the Walt Disney of our generation.

6. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Make sure you get into an Apple store to see the device in person. Between the display and the fit and finish it will probably blow you away.

Remember this on the signal issue:

1) "Death grip" results in about 20dB signal loss. This is comparable to (but yes, a bit more than) what happens on other phones.

2) The "bars" display is currently miscalibrated: you can have 5 bars and actually have a rather poor signal, in which case the 20dB attenuation kills you. Or you can have a strong signal showing 5 bars and that 20dB has no effect.

3) The iPhone can eke out a strong connection at weaker signal strengths than other phones due to improvements in overall RF design.

4) It's still probably best to try to remember to keep your fingers away from the seam on the lower left if you're not in a skin or a case.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

So don't sweat the reception issue. Now it's down to hardware design (and the unbelievable display), your philosophy about Apple's curated app store, your OS preference. IMHO Apple wins on those issues.

7. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

I have an iPhone 4 and it "functions" better as a phone than my 3GS did.

8. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Priceless! lol

9. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

do you even own one? There are hundreds of thousands of ip4 owners like myself that are not having any issues at all.

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

IIRC, you now have 30 days to return the iP4 without restocking penalty...
    Try it out and return it if you have problems...:)

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I don't think you are going to be able to make an informed and unbieased decision by posting it on a Mac Forum. Try the product out, see if you like it, if not return it within the 30 day period. Easy as that.

12. Macficionado macrumors newbie

+1. I don't regret my purchase at all. Take the time to go to an Apple store and actually look at the device and the reception. I am left handed, and although I can reproduce the problem when trying hard, it really is no issue for me in real use.

Given that choosing a phone is a decision that will stay with you for at least a year or so, I recommend that if you're still dubious you wait a couple of weeks to see what this comes out to. Make sure that you are buying a cell phone that is truly better for you, and not just the one less bashed by a bunch of trolls with zero EE or CompSci knowledge.

13. Sixtyin3 macrumors member

I've owned a few iPhones in my time and got an Evo a little over a week ago. To me, personally the Evo is the better device hands down. The iP4 screen looks great, but it's small and I have to do a lot of pinch and zooming to use it that the Evo doesn't require.

Android is better at a lot of stuff then iOS as well. To name a few, notifications, faster browser (it's been tested), Flash Lite and apps aren't locked into what Apple says I can or can't have without jailbreaking. Let's not even get started on WIDGETS. Use an Android phone running HTC's Sense with their widgets and you'll never want to not have a widget again.

Like I said, its all preference. To those who want a smaller device with a simplistic OS sporting more apps then anyone else and an amazing screen the iP4 wins. If you don't mind the larger device, great customization, want widgets and an almost equally amazing screen the Evo is your phone. I've owned both iPhones (only used an iP4, haven't owned one) and own the Evo currently. I love my Evo and really have taken an extreme liking to Android.

Where I live, Sprint's 3G is blazing fast compared to AT&T and 4G will be here by years end so that was a factor for me as well.

14. kcjohn thread starter macrumors member

kcjohn

Good advice, thanks.

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

What a terrible thing to say about Walt Disney.

Walt was not a selfish egotistical dolt.

Nor did he posess a self serving elitist superiority complex.

16. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

i personally wouldn't get an evo, even if I didn't get an iphone.. they make you pay extra for 4g service that they don't offer and the evo has all sorts of issues, a major one being the adhesive that holds the screen on is cheap and weak and people's screens have been literally falling off of their phones

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

18. faith4more macrumors regular

I guess the size is nice if you have hands the size of Shaq. Honestly, don't want a phone with 3 hour battery life that need a wagon to tote it around. I find browsing on the iphone blazing. Instant most places. Keep trying to convince yourself EVO was the right buy.

19. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I am not advocating for HTC, however I am offering clarification. "Cheap and weak" is an incorrect assumption. Display panels were _not_ falling off, they were separating on one corner only. There was one production run that was assembled with a defective batch of adhesive, from HTC's vendor. Once identified, all owners that registered their phones were given free replacements. The latest units that have been shipped since are quite excellent. OS updates have resolved those issues, therefore this new EVO performs very well.

20. faith4more macrumors regular

Mine works quite well with excellent reception. Only 1 dropped call in a week whereas I dropped them everyday on 3g. iphone making AT&T network actually look good.

21. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Not quite. Disney was much better. There really is no equivalent. He permeated all aspects of media and society. Jobs and Apple do not. They are still 'only' a tech company.

22. kcjohn thread starter macrumors member

kcjohn

I was comparing Jobs to Disney in the aspect of being a showman and an innovator.

23. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Also being the largest shareholder of the Disney Corp... that's something in common.

So Pixar, iTunes/iPod, iPhone... those are all pretty huge on the socially relevant tip.

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

OP, don’t buy the HTC Evo, unless you’ve already seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac

25. lawrence32 macrumors member

don't knock gummers until you try it.