Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
I guess the size is nice if you have hands the size of Shaq. Honestly, don't want a phone with 3 hour battery life that need a wagon to tote it around. I find browsing on the iphone blazing. Instant most places. Keep trying to convince yourself EVO was the right buy.

Seriously do you even believe the crap you type? It's hyperbole like this that can make this place annoying. I went iPhone 4. Found it's what I wanted. However the EVO is fantastic as well. Your comments are what one could expect from a fanboy that has the my way or the highway attitude. It's no different then the droid people that claim the iPhone is dumb. They are both great devices. So chill.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

-aggie- said:
I had preordered the iphone 4 switching from Sprint. The alleged problems with the antennae made me cancel my order. Went to the Sprint store and messed with HTC EVO and loved it. Now I just watched the iPhone 4 keynote and I'm wanting the iPhone 4 now. Tough decesion

OP, don’t buy the HTC Evo, unless you’ve already seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac

OMG that was so funny! I needed to laugh. Thanks!

Sixtyin3

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
Seriously do you even believe the crap you type? It's hyperbole like this that can make this place annoying. I went iPhone 4. Found it's what I wanted. However the EVO is fantastic as well. Your comments are what one could expect from a fanboy that has the my way or the highway attitude. It's no different then the droid people that claim the iPhone is dumb. They are both great devices. So chill.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. This guy is a total fanboy.

Both are great phones, I justified my reasoning for my purchase in my post. I don't need to convince myself of anything, I love my phone, so far more then any other device or OS I've ever used (iOS, Blackberry, webOS, WM, etc etc).

Enjoy your iP4, its a great device, *I* don't believe its superior to my Evo however.

K.Thx.Bye.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Did you watch the parts of the keynote that you don't see in the Apple edited one at Apple.com? Maybe you should watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxQOPFg2mo

3 sets of iPhone 3GS units, 3 sets of iPhone 4 units in use during the "demo" - the iPhone 3GS never fails, in the same interference overload situation in that conference hall. The iPhone 4 fails each and every time, in the same exact situation, held by the same guy.

Obsolete tech, eh?

Amnesia87

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I've owned a few iPhones in my time and got an Evo a little over a week ago. To me, personally the Evo is the better device hands down. The iP4 screen looks great, but it's small and I have to do a lot of pinch and zooming to use it that the Evo doesn't require.

Android is better at a lot of stuff then iOS as well. To name a few, notifications, faster browser (it's been tested), Flash Lite and apps aren't locked into what Apple says I can or can't have without jailbreaking. Let's not even get started on WIDGETS. Use an Android phone running HTC's Sense with their widgets and you'll never want to not have a widget again.

Like I said, its all preference. To those who want a smaller device with a simplistic OS sporting more apps then anyone else and an amazing screen the iP4 wins. If you don't mind the larger device, great customization, want widgets and an almost equally amazing screen the Evo is your phone. I've owned both iPhones (only used an iP4, haven't owned one) and own the Evo currently. I love my Evo and really have taken an extreme liking to Android.

Where I live, Sprint's 3G is blazing fast compared to AT&T and 4G will be here by years end so that was a factor for me as well.

You must have some awful eyesight.

Despite the smaller screen...

iP4's still RESOLVES MORE INFORMATION than the Evo's

Anything you need to pinch and zoom in on the iPhone you would also need to pinch and zoom on the Evo. Unless you have truly atrocious eyesight.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I had preordered the iphone 4 switching from Sprint. The alleged problems with the antennae made me cancel my order. Went to the Sprint store and messed with HTC EVO and loved it. Now I just watched the iPhone 4 keynote and I'm wanting the iPhone 4 now. Tough decesion

Come on, you like the HTC and you changed your mind after watching the Keynote?!

You cannot believe all the hype!

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA
kcjohn said:

You should just go get an EVO then shoot yourself... :apple:

maryannee

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Despite all the negative things you could say about Steve Jobs, he is a fantastic public speaker and marketer. You have to at least give him that lol.

Just a snip....."Steve Jobs is a visionary. Where as practical business sense tells us that good business is to find a market and exploit it, Steve Jobs did the opposite. He created a market."....

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Make sure you get into an Apple store to see the device in person. Between the display and the fit and finish it will probably blow you away.

Remember this on the signal issue:

1) "Death grip" results in about 20dB signal loss. This is comparable to (but yes, a bit more than) what happens on other phones.
Its much more, not comparable to other phones. According to anandtech (the only real tests anyone has done), when held normally without a case, the iPhone 4 loses 19.8 db. Thats huge. The iPhone 3GS only loses 1.9 db. The difference means the iPhone 4 registers a signal 62 times lower power than the iPhone 3GS. That is not 'comparable' to other phones.

2) The "bars" display is currently miscalibrated: you can have 5 bars and actually have a rather poor signal, in which case the 20dB attenuation kills you. Or you can have a strong signal showing 5 bars and that 20dB has no effect.
And this helps how? Just means it will display fewer bars in more places. Doesn't do anything regarding reception.
This is why the iPhone 4 sometimes looks bad and sometimes doesn't when held.

3) The iPhone can eke out a strong connection at weaker signal strengths than other phones due to improvements in overall RF design.
True. When its not held touching the antenna.

4) It's still probably best to try to remember to keep your fingers away from the seam on the lower left if you're not in a skin or a case.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

So don't sweat the reception issue. Now it's down to hardware design (and the unbelievable display), your philosophy about Apple's curated app store, your OS preference. IMHO Apple wins on those issues.
Too much work to worry about where to touch it. So much for good user experience using your phone.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Don't blame you. Evo pretty girl from a distance but get close and realize has no teeth.
Who's the pretty girl with no teeth?
You're saying the EVO is prettier than the iPhone 4?
You're saying the iPhone 4 is better at making calls than the EVO?

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
OP, don’t buy the HTC Evo, unless you’ve already seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac

That video makes up many things which aren't true. Quickly resorts to nothing but namecalling.
  • Android is very stable.
  • EVO does not have a 1hr battery life even worse case.
  • Make fun of 4G coverage, when most of the country only has 2G coverage with AT&T. There's a map for that. (EDGE)
  • Sprints 3G network is MUCH more extensive than AT&Ts.
  • Error prone reference. Not true. Very stable as said before.
  • Update every 3 days. Not true. Updates should be more frequent. But there are rarely updates, unlike iOS4 which fixed 60 security problems.
  • 4 calls to get it activated from Walmart. Walmart also sells the iPhone. I've never heard of any activation problem unique to the EVO. How well did activations go with the iPhone 4 on launch day with servers crashing? Not sure what point they're trying to make.
  • Video chat does not require 4G. Any data connection, Wifi, 3G, 4G, unlike the iPhone 4 which will only do it on WiFi

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Did you watch the parts of the keynote that you don't see in the Apple edited one at Apple.com? Maybe you should watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxQOPFg2mo

3 sets of iPhone 3GS units, 3 sets of iPhone 4 units in use during the "demo" - the iPhone 3GS never fails, in the same interference overload situation in that conference hall. The iPhone 4 fails each and every time, in the same exact situation, held by the same guy.

Obsolete tech, eh?
Love that video. The reception issues do explain a lot with this video. As you said, the 3GS works great.

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA
dmelgar said:
That video makes up many things which aren't true. Quickly resorts to nothing but namecalling.
  • Android is very stable.
  • EVO does not have a 1hr battery life even worse case.
  • Make fun of 4G coverage, when most of the country only has 2G coverage with AT&T. There's a map for that. (EDGE)
  • Sprints 3G network is MUCH more extensive than AT&Ts.
  • Error prone reference. Not true. Very stable as said before.
  • Update every 3 days. Not true. Updates should be more frequent. But there are rarely updates, unlike iOS4 which fixed 60 security problems.
  • 4 calls to get it activated from Walmart. Walmart also sells the iPhone. I've never heard of any activation problem unique to the EVO. How well did activations go with the iPhone 4 on launch day with servers crashing? Not sure what point they're trying to make.
  • Video chat does not require 4G. Any data connection, Wifi, 3G, 4G, unlike the iPhone 4 which will only do it on WiFi
    [/]

So what... Same as the other movie. Iphone 4 is still a better phone.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009

I dont understand how people like the Evo, I mean its just so big! Anyway sleep on it, because Steve Jobs could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I never let battery life of any device influence my buying decisions.
First I evaluate the device to see if it offers the features I need & want. If we set aside the OS & battery life, you'll notice a trend in the smartphone sector. That trend is larger displays. Why? Because we are spending more time on the web, therefore a larger display is an asset. The fact is, a display is the the single component in a smartphone that draws the most power. Thus the larger the display the shorter the battery life. So when I read peoples critical comments about an EVO's battery life (or other model of large screen smartphone) it just proves to me they don't understand technology.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Evo kind of like a high tech caveman. All brute but no elegance.

iphone pure elegance. I have owned 2g, 3g and the now 4.

Don't blame you. Evo pretty girl from a distance but get close and realize has no teeth.
Using _your logic_

The EVO will beat the crap outta your iPhone... ha..ha..ha :)

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
What a terrible thing to say about Walt Disney.

Walt was not a selfish egotistical dolt.

Nor did he posess a self serving elitist superiority complex.
Don't know much about Walt Disney, do you? He was all that and more. A genius, but with feet of clay.

Anyway, OP, I agree with the others; both are good phones. Try them both out in person, and make your decision. The EVO is too big for me and I don't like Android as much as iOS 4, but I have friends who love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.