Watchmen (HBO) Discussion Thread

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
There are really two post Game of Thrones shows that keep me in the HBO game (this and His Dark Materials). I really liked the film Watchmen and I'm super interested in the story. Looking forward to this.

Suture

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
Also looking forward to this. Was always hoping there would be a follow-up from the movie.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Also looking forward to this. Was always hoping there would be a follow-up from the movie.
I was more interested in the lore of the movie as opposed to the execution.

I don't care much for Zach Snyder. That being said, this looks pretty interesting.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Episode 1 was really good and once again Rotten Tomatoes' audience score isn't reflective of merit, it's actually reflective of political bias.

Reactions: D.T.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have mixed feelings about it. I read the visual novel and while it had the most depth of any visual novel, I've seen, the story was tedious and I did not like the movie. Maybe I should watch it again. 🤔

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Episode 1 was really good and once again Rotten Tomatoes' audience score isn't reflective of merit, it's actually reflective of political bias.
Yep. Quite a few of the negative reviews feature language like "Virtue Signaling" or "SJW", i.e., reviewer is an idiot ...

In the context of The Watchmen, Alan Moore, comic deconstriction, etc., it's pretty a pretty brilliant follow-up to the original graphic novel.

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
I have mixed feelings about it. I read the visual novel and while it had the most depth of any visual novel, I've seen, the story was tedious and I did not like the movie. Maybe I should watch it again.
I hated the movie. The writing was jumbled and confused. The acting was atrociously bad. The direction was a mess. Waste of time. I’m hoping the HBO version will be better.

Reactions: Huntn

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
Yep. Quite a few of the negative reviews feature language like "Virtue Signaling" or "SJW", i.e., reviewer is an idiot ...

In the context of The Watchmen, Alan Moore, comic deconstriction, etc., it's pretty a pretty brilliant follow-up to the original graphic novel.
Okay, I’ll ask. What is “virtue signaling?”

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Wow, it's fantastic, just finished EP3. As if all eh other actors aren't fantastic enough, Jean Smart shows up and elevates things even more.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I think one of my favorite things about this series is the crazy mix of technology. In some ways they're way ahead of us, and in some ways they're far behind.
Yeah, I love all the old beater vehicles ... powered by electricity! A nice bit of "car casting" with Sister Knight's Buick Grand National (it's a super iconic muscle car from the early-to-mid 80s).
- - Post merged: - -

Reactions: AlliFlowers

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Episodes 6-8 of the show are probably the best three consecutive episodes of a show I have ever seen.

They literally do everything right here. The twist is amazingly well executed, the characters are believable. It's just unbelievable.

Reactions: D.T.

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
I made it through ep 3. I gave up. It was dark and gloomy and depressing. If you like it or love it, I’m happy for you.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I made it through ep 3. I gave up. It was dark and gloomy and depressing. If you like it or love it, I’m happy for you.
It kind of changes after the first few, might be worth checking out the rest given that there are only a handful that remain.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Doing a "blind post" since we haven't watched Sunday night's EP yet, and I'm not sure if there are spoilers in here, but just looked at the grade portion of a couple of review sites I hit up (didn't want to search for others, as some review titles actually contain spoilers), but wow:

1575903732608.png

(and AVC doesn't hand out an A easily, maybe an occasional A- )

1575903759415.png

Wow! Can't wait, shutting down the office early, making some drinks, watching this afternoon :D

Reactions: Jayderek

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Holy smokes, that couldn't have been any better. Just brilliant, and while I have faith in DL to stick the landing, he's got a __lot__ of things to sort out in the final episode.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Holy smokes, that couldn't have been any better. Just brilliant, and while I have faith in DL to stick the landing, he's got a __lot__ of things to sort out in the final episode.
I really hope they don't kill off Dr. Manhattan. He is such a stark contrast to the nitty gritty of the Watchmen with no powers. His portrayal in Sunday's episode was spot on. Best episode of television since "Battle of the Bastards"

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don't think they would, or that it would be absolute (given who/what he is) as the credits roll.

Ha! Yes, BotB, so good, definitely in my top 3 EPs for GOT :)

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Season (series?) finale tonight! Will be watching in "real time" (well, streaming, but HBO releases content right at the air time).