Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The third watchOS 10.2 beta that Apple released this week reintroduces an Apple Watch feature for swapping watch faces that was initially removed with the upgrade to watchOS 10.

apple-watch-ultra-blue.jpg

Users can now choose to use a swipe gesture to switch the active Apple Watch face by enabling the option in the Apple Watch Settings app. With the feature turned on, swiping left or right on the watch face scrolls through the available watch faces that have been set up.

Switching watch faces with a swipe gesture was the default in watchOS 9, but Apple updated the interaction because of complaints that it was too easy to accidentally change watch faces. The current gesture requires long pressing before swiping to change the active watch face.

With watchOS 10.2, Apple Watch owners who preferred the prior method of changing their watch faces can choose to enable the setting if desired. The option is under Settings > Clock in the third beta.

watchOS 10.2 is available to both developers and public beta testers at this time, and it is expected to see a public launch in December.

Article Link: watchOS 10.2 Beta Reintroduces Option to Change Apple Watch Faces With a Swipe

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Unpopular option but the push side button for control center is stupid!!! What happened in the watch team? Like a new team came in and made unnecessary changes? I’d understand it if it wasn’t a swipe for all the rest of the devices but it’s always been a swipe. At least make it a customizable option.
Totally agree. As if they find that the side button is used too rarely and purposefully force us to use it.

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Unpopular option but the push side button for control center is stupid!!! What happened in the watch team? Like a new team came in and made unnecessary changes? I’d understand it if it wasn’t a swipe for all the rest of the devices but it’s always been a swipe. At least make it a customizable option.

Really don't know why they changed it, it was perfect for many years. The layout is now stupid, you scroll the crown up for the smart stack, swipe up for the smart stack and tap your fingers for the smart stack on the newer watches, so three ways to get to the same damn thing 🤦‍♂️

And then they moved the control center swipe up to the side button which I still hate, ridiculous change.

I would have had it like this, swipe up for the control center as it used to be, crown up for the smart stack and finger tap for the smart stack.

And as as the side button on a single press now does nothing, maybe we could customise it to make it a second shortcut button. Or we could press the side button once to bring up the apps instead of double pressing the crown which is annoying.

Last edited:

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
Really don't know why they changed it, it was perfect for many years. The layout is now stupid, you scroll the crown up for the smart stack, swipe up for the smart stack and tap your fingers for the smart stack on the newer watches, so three ways to get to the same damn thing 🤦‍♂️

And then they moved the control center swipe up to the side button which I still hate, ridiculous change.

I would have had it like this, swipe up for the control center as it used to be, crown up for the smart stack and finger tap for the smart stack.

And as as the side button on a single press now does nothing, maybe we could customise it to make it a second shortcut button. Or we could press the side button once to bring up the apps instead of double pressing the crown which is annoying.
Best option of all: Let the user customize what button does what function.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
So, a setting to enable that, I like that!
Are there still 2 (3 with double tap) ways to enable widgets?

Doebldodl

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2004
Germany
I rarely switch watch faces manually anymore. I use seven different focuses (home, work, personal, fitness...). Each focus comes with its watch face, so I am mostly switching watch faces by switching focus - which I do by invoking the control center with the side button! But I understand this is a rather elaborate setting, and I'll be very happy to also have the option back of switching watch faces with a swipe.

flybass

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
How about they let give us our side button back. Why they moved control center (something I don’t even use) to the side button and removing the ability to have a favorites dock is beyond me. Feels like this years OS’s updates have been worse.
At first I thought I could get used to double tapping the crown for recent apps. It is actually hard to get the double tap on crown right. One needs to pretty much hold the whole watch in hand while trying the double crown tap. In fact, there should be no assigned double crown tap since it is such an inaccurate motion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.