Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
I would kill for a setting to disable changing the iOS background by long pressing on the lock screen. I never want to change my lock screen this way. I pickup my phone and in that stupid select screen way too often.

Also, I wish there was an option to disable swiping to the camera. There is an icon for that - just let me only use that. 90% of the time I turn on my flashlight on the phone, it turns off after I swiped and activated the camera.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
So the great thing about this is that my watch faces can once again be like pages of a Home Screen.

Now… I fully agree with those who want the favorites dock back AND using swipe for control center — I just cannot get used to control center via the pull-shaped button.

I don’t even use the widget thing

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Halleluja. My Ultra is excellent again.

Next step, make the action button ‘smart’. For example, when I read an email, pressing the button deletes the email. Context awareness.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
In iOS 16 Apple initially removed the page curl animation in Books (which has been part of the app since it was first introduced by Steve Jobs in 2010), only to bring it back in iOS 16.4 because users made their voices heard through the betas and official release.

Reactions: the future

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
WOW they actually fixed something.
Now bring back Control Center with swipe up please for the love of god

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Unpopular option but the push side button for control center is stupid!!! What happened in the watch team? Like a new team came in and made unnecessary changes? I’d understand it if it wasn’t a swipe for all the rest of the devices but it’s always been a swipe. At least make it a customizable option.
100% not unpopular

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Earlier this week I got and shipped my younger brother a Apple Watch 7 and he asked me about how to change the watch face and I had to think and word the answer in three sentences to be understood. By swiping left or right across the face could be one short sentence. I liked that feature and it is annoying the way they did it with the long press and then swipe so much work for a little thing. I have accidentally changed the watch face in the old os and it was nothing to swipe across to the watch face to get back my desired watch face. I mean a second or two and I am back to the face I wanted. Thank you apple to listen to your customers.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Gosh, I don't know about that.

When there is too much customization, it breaks my brain trying to think of what is the most logical way and then half the time I forget how I had set it up. That is a problem of choices, or some would argue is a paradox of choices. We think by default the more choices there are the better. The paradox is that actually the more choices there are, the more difficult it can be to decide because there's a lot of thought that needs to go behind making a choice.

I'm not saying how Apple has it is perfect though.

Having too many options reminds me of some apps that are way too customizable (e.g., some workout apps) and I end up just not using it because to set it up properly (choices!) takes way too much work and having to think through all the various scenarios.
This is why I use Apple’s products. Too much choice in overwhelming and I don’t care about customising every little thing - I just want to use the device.

I don’t even use widgets on my iPhone because there’s too much customisation in the process and I think they’re sort of pointless. If I want to interact with an app, I’m going to tap on the icon anyway.

whiteashsaturday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2020
How about they let give us our side button back. Why they moved control center (something I don’t even use) to the side button and removing the ability to have a favorites dock is beyond me. Feels like this years OS’s updates have been worse.
I was looking forward to purchasing a new series 9 to have the new double tap feature, but all I got was loss of features, changes I never asked for, and Double Tap is actually worse. You are unable to "double-tap" dismiss a Good Morning message. You need to enable the old Accessibly option to do that.. which my series 7 had.

The only thing I appreciate about the Series 9, was 1nit dimming. Crash protection.

Glad they are bring an "option" to the settings app. They need to make options instead of taking features away.

Reactions: chickenpiccata

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
How about they let give us our side button back. Why they moved control center (something I don’t even use) to the side button and removing the ability to have a favorites dock is beyond me. Feels like this years OS’s updates have been worse.

Yes …. I keep swiping up to go to the control center out of habit and now I am just getting this useless widget panel I’ll never use. Feels almost unnatural to press the side button for something you just used to swipe

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

andyorkney

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Really don't know why they changed it, it was perfect for many years. The layout is now stupid, you scroll the crown up for the smart stack, swipe up for the smart stack and tap your fingers for the smart stack on the newer watches, so three ways to get to the same damn thing 🤦‍♂️

And then they moved the control center swipe up to the side button which I still hate, ridiculous change.

I would have had it like this, swipe up for the control center as it used to be, crown up for the smart stack and finger tap for the smart stack.

And as as the side button on a single press now does nothing, maybe we could customise it to make it a second shortcut button. Or we could press the side button once to bring up the apps instead of double pressing the crown which is annoying.
As someone who uses the torch, find my iPhone, silence, theatre mode etc daily I like the changed side button. Took me a couple of weeks to retrain my brain but now I would hate to go back to screen swipes.

Very glad the option to swipe between faces is back. Sport/work/fun complications are now so much easier to switch between

Reactions: tazinlwfl

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Just like Apple lets you permanently adjust the power level of the iPhone flashlight, they should give a permanent minimum brightness level on the AWU2. In the dark I can barely even read the screen.

Reactions: Awboxster

Tevosn

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2020
Unpopular option but the push side button for control center is stupid!!! What happened in the watch team? Like a new team came in and made unnecessary changes? I’d understand it if it wasn’t a swipe for all the rest of the devices but it’s always been a swipe. At least make it a customizable option.
I don’t think it’s unpopular, I can’t get used to it and still try to access it by swiping up from the buttom. Not a fan at all.
If they could even just make it an option, and it’s silly because swipe up does the same as turning the crown now.
Don’t really use the widgets much, not sure if that’s just me?

But it’s nice we get the watch face swap back.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I like(d) everything about OS10, except for taking away the face-swipe. Soooo glad it's back, and even better that it's an option so that folks who complained about accidental face-swipes can have it their way, too. Awesome, Apple!

Reactions: Starfia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.