Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In watchOS 10.2, you can enable a swipe gesture to switch between Apple Watch faces more easily, just like you used to be able to in watchOS 9. Keep reading to learn how it's done.

apple-watch-ultra-1-image.jpg

If you are a long-time Apple Watch user, you probably remember a time when it was possible to switch watch faces with a simple swipe gesture across the display. That was the default interaction in watchOS 9, but then Apple removed the gesture with the upgrade to watchOS 10.

Apple changed the interaction because of user complaints that it was too easy to accidentally change watch faces. But for anyone who never had this problem, Apple just made things harder – by requiring a long press before swiping to change the active watch face.

Fortunately, prior to the release of watchOS 10.2, Apple seemed to realize what it had done, and it has introduced a setting that re-instates the earlier method of swiping to change watch faces. If you preferred the older interaction, the following steps show you how to enable it.
  1. Open the Settings app on your watch.
  2. Tap Clock.
  3. Toggle on the switch next to Swipe to Switch Watch Face.
swipe-to-change-watch-face.jpg

That's all there is to it. If you have more than one watch face assigned to your Apple Watch, you will now be able to swipe quickly and easily between them.

Article Link: watchOS 10.2: How to Change Watch Faces With a Swipe

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Apple could have taken the opportunity to use those gestures to access some meaningful features, maybe a cycle of larger widgets a la Samsung or allow apps to run in the foreground as a face so your shopping list or map is only a swipe away.

But no, hey went back two steps instead. They'll never regain their lead in software innovation if they keep capitulating instead of innovating.

Reactions: raziel101

jorikc

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
I also changed it back as soon as 10.2 was available, but I do not understand why some settings (like this one) are only available from the watch itself and not from the Watch App on my iPhone. I had searched there before giving up and going through all Settings on the watch.

Some other settings are only available from the Watch App on iPhone, so I find it unintuitive when to use which Settings.

claude31

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
Toulouse, France
As far as I remember, it did not work exactly the same way before.
In WatchOS 9, when you swiped, you got the new face showing the time. Seems so logic
In WatchOS 10.2, when you swipe, you first get the standard (10:09) time displayed for 1 second and then the actual time. Pretty ugly glitch effect.

How is it they were not able to reestablish what existed before when setting is set to "Swipe" ? Is it because they went a quick and dirty way, just reusing the long press code and simply segueing automatically to the new face. But the result is not nice looking.

blodyholy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
Iowa
I just spent far too long using the Watch app on my iPhone looking for this setting as my watch is charging.

Unclear why it’s excluded, but don’t bother looking in case you use your phone for most AW settings as I do.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands

In watchOS 10.2, you can enable a swipe gesture to switch between Apple Watch faces more easily, just like you used to be able to in watchOS 9. Keep reading to learn how it's done.

If you are a long-time Apple Watch user, you probably remember a time when it was possible to switch watch faces with a simple swipe gesture across the display. That was the default interaction in watchOS 9, but then Apple removed the gesture with the upgrade to watchOS 10.

Apple changed the interaction because of user complaints that it was too easy to accidentally change watch faces. But for anyone who never had this problem, Apple just made things harder – by requiring a long press before swiping to change the active watch face.

Fortunately, prior to the release of watchOS 10.2, Apple seemed to realize what it had done, and it has introduced a setting that re-instates the earlier method of swiping to change watch faces. If you preferred the older interaction, the following steps show you how to enable it.
  2. Tap Clock.

That's all there is to it. If you have more than one watch face assigned to your Apple Watch, you will now be able to swipe quickly and easily between them.

Thanks so much for this, it was so irritating! Glad they added the option.

Reactions: SantaFeNM and z4co

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Then don't activate the swipe function. Easy-peasy.
It's accidental. It happens when you're working out pretty easy. All you had to do before was hold down for a split second, easy peasy.

EDIT: Actually it's a non-issue. I realized it's still long press the swipe has to be turned on.

Tevosn

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2020
Nice! But when you have selected the watch face “Solar graph”, you still can’t use Digital Crown to scroll in time, it just brings up the silly widget menu. Is there a fix for that?

Reactions: z4co

bloozmonk

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2023

2. Tap Clock.

Because 2 seconds is a looooooong time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.