WatchOS 2 Impressions/Discussions

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I'm bummed he didn't mention any notification haptic customizations, but yeah, they're adding a lot of things that should have been there to begin with. It's a bit frustrating to have to wait until the fall for all this stuff. I hope we get a bug fix and stability update before then.

Reactions: Knightcastle

bh85

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Midwest
I liked the updates. Reading and replying to email is big for me. Great feature that they added. I'm excited about the store cards in apple pay. Native apps are going to be awesome. Being able to add watch face to the background is nice. Hopefully we will see some nice backgrounds made for apple watch. I'm hoping for a nice brushed aluminum background. I think it would look nice. If someone can Photoshop it, that would be awesome :)

tomaustin44

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
Definitely how it should have been on launch. I think its going to make a huge difference to performance and the user experience in general. I reckon the apps we've got now will instantly seem ancient when the first native apps launch in autumn. Particularly happy third party apps are going to be able to contribute to the rings... still hoping they will also have quietly solved the HR sensor issues.

Time Travel is quite an interesting idea too... not sure how much I'll use it but with the third party complications it could come in pretty useful.

Really hoping developers get cracking on the native apps so we've got some good ones ready for autumn.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
I am really looking forward to it. Health on the watch, Timetravel, native apps, awesome!

But the presentation was.. Blergh..

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
I'm bummed he didn't mention any notification haptic customizations, but yeah, they're adding a lot of things that should have been there to begin with. It's a bit frustrating to have to wait until the fall for all this stuff. I hope we get a bug fix and stability update before then.
I feel like Apple kind of put the Apple Watch on the back burner in favor of their new music service... :(

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
Yea I am excited for everything but was a little let down with the you will be able to add all these new complications to faces that support complications. Was really hoping the motion faces would get complication support. Either way excited about all the new stuff coming.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
I like the improvements but I was disappointed by the limited additions to watch faces. His comment about Apple Watch being the most customizable watch still doesn't have much basis.

Reactions: samiznaetekto

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
It's the little things! I love to see watchOS 2. It's like with the original iPhone. They first get out the device with with their own Apps and then open it up to the developer Community. This will be an awesome week for those attending.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I was also hoping for notification haptic optimizations and different sounds other than the lame little ding. Could not feel the taps if I was up and moving around and the ding I can not hear in more noisy environments. AT the same time the watch causes my iPhone to go silent.

These are the number one reasons i returned my SB AW.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I like that FaceTime audio is being addressed as a major feature ... this gives the developers the ability to work with FaceTime on the watch before they add and announce the video camera for the Gen 2 release for full FaceTime video compatibility from the watch.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA
I feel like Apple kind of put the Apple Watch on the back burner in favor of their new music service... :(
They did. But it has the potential to be a huge revenue stream for them, so I guess I get it. I wonder if the watchOS 2 update will lure in any potential buyers that have been on the fence.

ifarlow

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Georgia
People are acting as if what was introduced today during WWDC 15 was it, as if there will be no more to reveal with watchOS 2. The reality is that there will be more surprises in store, both good and bad, and we will start seeing more fine-grained details when people start loading the watchOS 2 beta on their devices.

Give it a few days.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Now that fitness apps can work on the phone then hopefully someone who uses a chest strapped HRM can pair it with the watch and then the apps can get it directly from the strap or the watch. This way you don't have to worry about closing apps or what is currently connected.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
This update looks great, and really gets the watch closer to what I want in a smart watch. Only things left are camera support for facetime video calls, longer battery life, and circular display. Can't wait til mine comes in.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Any thoughts on what was presented on the new WatchOS 2?

For some reason, I feel like this is exactly how the Apple Watch should have been launched. But either way, I am loving the update and can't wait to give it a whirl!
I know it's not because of me but I submitted feedback to Apple to allow 3rd party complications to watch faces and they actually revealed this feature today :)

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
How is anyone complaining about the timeline for this stuff? Gives us all something to look forward to and they're really just getting started.

Can't wait!
That's how I feel too. The alternative wouldn't be having a better watch now, it'd be having no watch now. I find the idea of having loads of little incremental changes really exciting!