WatchOS 5 - Not a single new watch face??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by xDKP, Jun 4, 2018.

1. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

During the WWDC keynote the constant talk about the additions to the Siri watchface did give me some concern. And yeah - we didn’t even get a single watch face - That was honestly one of my biggest wishes now after several years of the old ones

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Think it goes to show that Apple really wants a lot of control over the watch faces that they currently have. I know last year they introduced some toy story watch faces and the Siri watch face, this year it seems they implemented the walkie-talkie feature and some workout implementation. I Think this year it’s not just about new features, it seems that they are really trying to improve and build upon the overall functionality (Fluidity) of iOS, watchOS and Mac OS.

3. xDKP thread starter macrumors 65816

xDKP

While I agree on all the points - it’s still ******** ... They have amazing designs on the Nike and Hermes versions. I don’t want a copy of those but similar styles for the rest of us. It’s not just lazy, but IMO arrogant even.

4. parseckadet macrumors 65816

parseckadet

Well there's the pride face, but that looks to just be a glorified version of the photos face. I think Apple is blowing it by ignoring something that could add a lot of fun into the Apple Watch.

5. xDKP thread starter macrumors 65816

xDKP

My point exactly! Pride is almost just a Live Photo watch face

6. meeebee macrumors member

meeebee

Yeah, I'm really bummed that no new watch faces were introduced. I've complained about that the last few releases. I'm thinking that Apple knows that if they make the "static" faces too good, not many people will be using the Siri face, and that's apparently where the focus of development is happening. Disappointed (again).

7. newtestleper macrumors 6502

Isn’t the Pride face available now in the gallery via the back end? Shows they can be made available on a whim.

8. hexagenia macrumors regular

hexagenia

Also would have liked new watch faces, but also thinking that just because we didn't see them here, doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't coming in September. To follow, if there are looming changes to AW screen real estate, I could definitely see that as part of a September announcement where it would be one of the signal features used to market the new device. Now whether we would see it available on older generation watches, I don't know, but Apple always uses new OS capabilities to highlight likely marketing advantages.

9. Nanotyrns macrumors 65816

Nanotyrns

I agree they should open that up to developers. I'm sure there would be some love shown to the watch. It does make me wonder if they are locking it down simply to maintain that ridiculous luxury experiment with Hermes.

I'm not seeing the new Pride face in the gallery, btw. Not sure if I need to do something different but I assumed it would just appear.

10. friednoodles Suspended

A possible theory is that they may release a new watch face or two, but in point releases to encourage people to update (as they've just done with the Pride face). Or, they're saving them for the upcoming September event when a new Apple Watch is released, as they did with the Explorer face.

11. Jayne Doe macrumors member

The new face is in the Watch app. Check the Face Gallery. It’s hanging out there.

12. Riley-Freeman macrumors newbie

very disappointing. They need to open it up to devs

13. testcard, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Not seeing it in the U.K. yet. Is it in the ‘New in watchOS’ section?

14. ballookey macrumors newbie

ballookey

It's in the Face Gallery on my phone and I've added it to "My Faces" but it won't show up on my watch. Without itemizing all the things I tried, based on this one experience, I'm not sure they can be made available on a whim.

15. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

Yet another digital face with no seconds. This makes absolutely no sense - I want to see the time, not an approximation to the time!

16. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

THIS, x1000000!!!! It's a shame none of the Apple Watch development team lives in a place where precise timekeeping is useful - here in Japan, where the trains run like clockwork, knowing the EXACT time can mean the difference between running to catch a train or walking - I think it's absolutely ASININE that I have to switch to an analogue watch face every time I'm cutting it close on catching a train ... :mad:

17. DaveOZ macrumors regular

Wear a proper watch then. ;)

Seriously though I don't understand why Apple do not allow custom face designs like Facer on Android and Tizen.

18. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

I'm just quoting these for some reason, i do not know why.

19. newtestleper macrumors 6502

Worked for me, even before I upgraded any software.

20. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

I’m at the point that it is disappointing that there are not new watch faces. Maybe by the official release of O/S 5? I also don’t believe it is a concern over copyright either.

If you took some chronograph Watch faces and allow you to change the inner circles to battery, steps, weather, etc. even the explorer face with inner circles to do the same would be so nice. There are many ideas that Apple and developers could come up with that would sell from .99 to $9.99 maybe? Maybe average $2.99? Apple could make an easy $100M of our profit.

I would honestly buy 2-4 Watch faces if I could get a chronograph with inner circles that I can set to certain complications. Maybe one with analog face and digital seconds.

Still hoping.

21. xDKP thread starter macrumors 65816

xDKP

This!

Hate that there isn’t more “classy” looking faces. I wear mine with a suit to the office and while my kids like the Toy Story watch face, it just doesn’t fit the bill in the office IMO

22. friednoodles Suspended

At least a few existing faces received some feature updates, e.g. you can now add complications to Solar.

23. bluespark macrumors 68000

Exactly this. Watch face updates would be a big selling point for new watches. It therefore makes business sense to release those at the same time Apple has new watches to sell.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    Agreed. Some emphasis on fitness/kids makes sense, but there are plenty of business/style-oriented Apple Watch users. We need some classy/sophisticated watch faces that also allow for plenty of complication functionality.

24. Relentless Power, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Surprised no one has mentioned that the Pride watch face is available from the Watch Face Gallery, which is Over the Air. It could be an indication of how third Party watch faces are implemented in the future.

25. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Not seeing it in Face Gallery but possibly because I'm on 11.4.1 beta.