WatchOS 5 on Applewatch Series 2??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by saxman211, Sep 17, 2018.

1. saxman211 macrumors regular

saxman211

Has anyone update their series 2 Applewatch to the latest watch OS 5? If so, what’s your reaction to it? Is it slower? Faster? I’d like to wait for feedback before updating....

2. jeblis macrumors regular

3. dgdosen macrumors 68000

dgdosen

I've been using it since WWDC - and it works fine for me. I notice delays (wait times) after a reboot and I'm staring an app for the first time. And for me, the battery runs down to about 50% after a day of usage.

4. rbart macrumors 6502

rbart

It's OK on my S2.
    Maybe a little faster than WatchOS 4?

5. yegon macrumors 68030

It’s not slower in my experience using it from Friday, and for me it’s TOTALLY worth it entirely for the ability to control volume in the Overcast app. It’s the single feature I’ve wanted for ages above all else, heh.

That said, not much of a risk updating for me, I’ve a Series 4 on the way.

6. nikusak macrumors regular

7. nph macrumors 6502a

To me it is faster and feels more responsive, definitely worth it!

8. Bbafett macrumors 6502

I don't notice any difference on mine. It does seem more responsive at times. Definitely not worse though. I have been pleased with ios 12 and watchos5 so far considering they have had no sluggish feel that some releases do have.

9. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

As others have said, mine feels a good bit faster than watchOS 4.3.2, however battery life seems to be a tad less. But my watch is also 2 years old at this point, and have already noticed pretty serious degradation in battery life compared to when it was brand new. I'm hoping it lasts 1 more years until they release the Series 5.

10. saxman211 thread starter macrumors regular

saxman211

I think battery life is my biggest fear.... How significant is the change of battery life?

11. TheBearman macrumors 6502

I didn't see a drop in battery life post update based on my same usage patterns. But... as with anything like this, YMMV.

12. za9ra22 macrumors 6502a

I haven't really seen any change in speed of my S2, except that apps from the home screen open marginally faster. There has been a change in battery metering, I think, in that prior to the update, the watch would show 100% for a fairly long period, then drop to 90% quite quickly. After the update, the drop to 99% occurs much faster, and the decline in percentage is much more gradual. At the end of the day battery percentage looks about the same as it was previously.

The new watch faces look rather good however.

13. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

Since it has settled down, battery life seems more or less the same, it took a hit yesterday when setting the Watch up on an XS but today it has been good.

For some reason, GPS arrow shows constantly on the watch, but not on the phone, and very very limited apps have location access. I think it’s a bug to be honest.

Also for some reason, syncing music to the Watch is SO SLOW now, for whatever reason. I think it is bugged too, it was taking 5+ minutes for each individual SONG to sync over, so I just cancelled it out (was trying to push ~200 songs). Never had that issue on iOS 11 or watchOS 4, or 3 for that matter.

14. nph macrumors 6502a

On Series 2 I find battery life pretty much the same. A day and a half with medium use.

15. mk313 macrumors 6502a

I have found S2 my battery life took a noticeable hit. I used to end the day with around 25% battery left. Since upgrading, I’ve hit the 10% low lower warning every day. I just hit it now at 8:38 pm. So my battery life has definitely been impacted.
    Still worth the upgrade to me though. The increased functionality is fantastic.

16. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Activity app hangs sometimes, battery goes a little quicker. Not sure if it keeps more accurate track of activity or if something’s wrong, but my move ring is going way higher than it used to.

17. bmac4 macrumors 601

bmac4

I don’t know how you guys are getting the same battery life. My series 2 has seen a decline since downloading watchOS 5. I have tried a lot of tricks, and nothing seems to work. I am not loving watchOS 5.

18. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

I feel the choice of watch face and complications really have a huge impact on battery. The Siri face absolutely burns my battery down. I can get 32-40 hours from a charge including a 60 minute workout. When I’ve tried the Siri face I barely get 24.

19. imagineadam macrumors 65816

My S2 feels the same but get ready for a serious uptick in how many calories burned are being reported per day compared to os 4! And exercise minutes too have increased by doing the same activity throughout the day. They have changed how things are calculated and it totally gives you more.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2018 ---
    My battery life is the same unless I use one of those new watch faces like the fire and water or vapor or liquid metal.

20. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Reset my Series 1 to factory settings before installing WatchOS 5. I would say it feels a little smoother and battery life is about the same as WatchOS 4.

I am using the same watchface as before with the same complications and no third party apps installed.

21. bmac4 macrumors 601

bmac4

What watch face do you use?

22. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

To me it honestly feels snappier! Almost makes me regret pre ordering a series 4. Almost ;)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2018 ---
    I
    it still gets perfectly through one day. I never looked at it before and neither do I bother checking it now.

23. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I felt it was smooth and responsive as well, until I tried out my wife’s Series 4. Mine arrives tomorrow.

24. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I use the Siri watch face pretty much exclusively. I’ll have to check out another face to see if it makes a difference thanks for the tip

25. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Gotta wait 3 more long weeks...