Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

watchOS 6 Will Let Users Delete Many Built-in Apps on Apple Watch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Watch users will be able to delete stock apps from the Apple Watch starting in watchOS 6, according to TechCrunch.

This will make it possible to delete many of Apple's built-in apps on the Apple Watch, including Alarm, Timer, Stopwatch, Remote, Camera Remote, Radio, Walkie-Talkie, ECG, Breathe, Noise, Cycle Tracking, and others, the report indicates. A few core apps like Heart Rate and Messages will not be deletable.

Some of Apple's apps can already be removed from the Apple Watch, like Calendar, Stocks, and Weather, as deleting a built-in app on an iPhone also removes the app from a paired Apple Watch. However, this method does not work for watchOS apps that lack an iOS counterpart like Timer and Radio.

watchOS 6 will allow almost any built-in app to be deleted directly on the Apple Watch. As already possible with third-party apps, users will be able to delete built-in apps by pressing and holding to enter so-called "wiggle mode" and then tapping the "X" button that appears above an app icon.

This functionality has yet to be enabled as of the second developer beta of watchOS 6, but it's still very early. The report indicates it will be ready in time for the public release of the software update in September.

Article Link: watchOS 6 Will Let Users Delete Many Built-in Apps on Apple Watch

Reactions: Commodore 64

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Let’s hope after 2 years, this time they figure out how to get us delete apps and not have the freezing issue when going into the settings page

Comment

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Just keeps getting better. Another small step toward making the Apple Watch a completely stand alone device.
I expect Apple's AR Glasses (2020?) to follow a similar product development trajectory. The first generation will likely require it to be used in conjunction with an iPhone but after a couple of generations, you will be able to run it with an Apple Watch or as a completely stand alone device.

Comment

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Still needs a standalone browser.

full Safari is already in there. It's just a pain to activate.

Comment

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I hope this also allows for the deletion of the NRC complication that currently can't be removed from the faces that are exclusive to the Nike+ version of the watch.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Still needs a standalone browser.

full Safari is already in there. It's just a pain to activate.

But do Apple Watch users actually care to navigate safari on a 40/44 mm display? I doubt it. When they can resort to their iPhone that much quicker _and_ easier transitions for searches.

Reactions: Dopestar
Comment

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Would much rather be able to turn off Siri on the watch without disabling it on the phone. Too many inadvertent triggers of it when working out or the watch activating when I intend it for the phone.

Comment

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I’d like this. The honeycomb app layout isn’t great, but the list view is unmanageable. Maybe if I could shorten that list.

Comment

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
I hope this also allows for the deletion of the NRC complication that currently can't be removed from the faces that are exclusive to the Nike+ version of the watch.
I have a Nike Watch (I like the band but not Nike) and I don't have the Nike complication installed. In my IOS Watch app it shows with the "Install" button.

Comment

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Very nice. Here's my list for termination:
Breathe, Camera, Photos, Radio, Remote, World Clock, Stop Watch.

Reactions: Huck
Comment

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Hmmm... okay so with watchOS6 Apple Watch can somewhat be converted back to an iPod Nano 6th gen with wrist strap.... albeit a super smart, high tech version. :p
I like it!!! More space for tunes rather than apps....lovely!! :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.