watchOS 7 wishlist

cics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
Milano
This year with watchOS 6 Apple took the first step to make AW less reliant on iPhone. While I don't think the Apple Watch will ever become an independent device, I still believe it could aspire to become the main cellular device for many. Next year we'll see watchOS 7, what do you expect to see or wish to see at next WWDC?

Here's my list:
- Apple notes app
- Apple Health app
- More capable contacts app (it's impossible to create a new contact right now)
- Same for the calendar app
- More powerful SIRI
- overall I would like Apple to rethink force touch interactions on Apple Watch, I think they are not intuitive. I took me weeks to discover that I can navigate to a location from the calendar app, just by force pressing it, while I have been trying to tap on the event address by intuition. Force touch menu is a hit or miss, when you expect to see actions it doesn't do anything
- Ability to change ringtones
- Ability to turn off html in emails

Reactions: staggerlee41

baruchsienna

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
AOD customizable (color, dimmable, gently pulsing?) nightstand mode!
3rd party watchface store?

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Siri bugs fixed, 5Ghz wifi (this is hardware specific, though), process optimization for better battery times, sleep tracking, a keyboard for replying to messages, screen brightness should have a more precise control (with the crown maybe, like in theater mode) because the lowest option is still very bright.

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK
Thought there was already one of these topics....

Ability to draw a route on a map (not AtoB but a walking loop around a nature reserve for example) on the phone and then send that route to the watch and have stats on ETA, pace, directions etc.

And to have message notifications on the watch without automatically muting the sounds on the phone. What's the point in having customisable noises for different people on the phone if it then completely mutes them if you have them showing on the watch. I still want to know from the sound who it is that just messaged me.

Reactions: ukbootlegs

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
My main complaint is the inability to load m4b audiobooks onto the watch. Although I also miss having the option to skip back and forward 15 seconds instead of tracks that only results in going to the beginning or end. This is true for both the watch and APP.

Reactions: ukbootlegs

rbart

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
France
Thought there was already one of these topics....

Ability to draw a route on a map (not AtoB but a walking loop around a nature reserve for example) on the phone and then send that route to the watch and have stats on ETA, pace, directions etc.
You can try workoutdoors ...

AuntieSeese

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
🇬🇧
I’d like the option to lock the watch - stop the buttons / screen from being used when working out. I box and wear my watch. I have to wear a sweat band over it to stop accidental button pressing, which in turn is not ideal because it gets all sweaty and misted up. Can’t win!

Got to be a simple addition? 🤷🏼‍♀️

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
I’d like the option to lock the watch - stop the buttons / screen from being used when working out. I box and wear my watch. I have to wear a sweat band over it to stop accidental button pressing, which in turn is not ideal because it gets all sweaty and misted up. Can’t win!

Got to be a simple addition? 🤷🏼‍♀️
Like @PugMastaser said, you could try water lock.

D3ggy

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2019
Always available cellular signal strength. Currently it’s only available on the explorer face.

Oh and make it more subtle than the explorer face. White and grey dots and a line when the phone is near by rather than making the display disappear

Reactions: sjinsjca

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Thought of that, buttons are still activated and screen woken up tho. I want to be able to lock it down so nothing is useable until I tell it so.
Mh, I just tried it on my watch and with water lock activated, the screen and buttons do not react to any touch or pressure. Display will still wake up on raise but you can't accidentally press anything. You need to rotate the crown to get water lock off again.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Always available cellular signal strength. Currently it’s only available on the explorer face.
Cellular signal is now a complication you can put in most of watch face. It will take up one complication quota though but much better than what I got on my S3 with OS5.
- - Post merged: - -

Thought of that, buttons are still activated and screen woken up tho. I want to be able to lock it down so nothing is useable until I tell it so.
Are you sure you activate the mode? The buttons shouldn’t do anything apart from bringing up water lock screen.

AuntieSeese

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
🇬🇧
Mh, I just tried it on my watch and with water lock activated, the screen and buttons do not react to any touch or pressure. Display will still wake up on raise but you can't accidentally press anything. You need to rotate the crown to get water lock off again.
We must have different settings? I don’t use raise to wake, but my screen is definitely activated on touch or button pressing when water lock is on 🤷🏼‍♀️ (Not the best pic but you can see the water lock is on)
- - Post merged: - -

We must have different settings? I don’t use raise to wake, but my screen is definitely activated on touch or button pressing when water lock is on 🤷🏼‍♀️ (Not the best pic but you can see the water lock is on)
Edited - Can’t do anything with the screen tho so know what you mean. It’s just that I don’t even want the screen to wake up.

Cheers

Attachments

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
But you can't make any accidental inputs, or can you? So it shouldn't be a problem if the display wakes up, as long as it doesn't take any accidental inputs, right? Or is the waking of the screen itself a problem while doing sports?

AuntieSeese

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
🇬🇧
But you can't make any accidental inputs, or can you? So it shouldn't be a problem if the display wakes up, as long as it doesn't take any accidental inputs, right? Or is the waking of the screen itself a problem while doing sports?
I’m thinking more battery drainage with the continued knocking of the buttons and subsequent screen waking. It is being worn for an hour at a time when the watch probably doesn’t have the best of battery left - after work, late in the day. Would just rather have the option to lock it down. Will give the water lock a go tho ..... 👍

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
So, what about a combination of Theater mode and waterlock? At least the display will not constantly wake, then. Of course repeatedly pressing buttons *may* drain the battery a bit, but I don't think it will be dramatic.

AuntieSeese

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
🇬🇧
So, what about a combination of Theater mode and waterlock? At least the display will not constantly wake, then. Of course repeatedly pressing buttons *may* drain the battery a bit, but I don't think it will be dramatic.
Just tried the above ..... Screen still wakes on button pressing 🙄.

I guess I’ll just have to wait until they add a lock option 🤷🏼‍♀️

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Yes sure the screen will wake if you PRESS a button. Otherwise, how would you get the watch out of a lock state if there was no reaction to button presses or crown rotation? But at least theater mode and water lock could help against accidental inputs and constantly waking screen while working out.

AuntieSeese

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
🇬🇧
Yes sure the screen will wake if you PRESS a button. Otherwise, how would you get the watch out of a lock state if there was no reaction to button presses or crown rotation? But at least theater mode and water lock could help against accidental inputs and constantly waking screen while working out.
Agreed that with Theatre / water no accidental inputs, but the screen does still wake when pressing the buttons

When I have my boxing gloves on, the button keeps getting pressed hence waking the screen all the time.

Can I remember there being a lock option once upon a time? And either the crown or the button had to be held in for a number of seconds before waking the whole phone up ..... Or is that just wishful thinking?

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Do the buttons point towards the hands and get accidentally pressed? Try wearing the watch rotated so the buttons point towards the elbow.

Reactions: AuntieSeese