Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
I’ve upgraded my AW4 to WatchOS 9 and I’m noticing two effects that are not how the Watch used to operate and I don’t like it.

1. When workout out, the workout icon status symbol is missing from their Watch face. This is the small icons on the top center of the Watch Face that shows what the active apps are.

2. Similarly, when I’m playing podcast or music on my iPhone, my Watch used to show with of those iPhone apps at active so I can easily go from Watch face to controlling those apps from my Watch. It’s missing.

Any clue how to fix?

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Yes, same here. Are we missing a setting or did Apple remove this feature? Would be bad.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
I found the mystery to the missing “Now Playing” status. According to this Apple support article:

In watchOS 8 and earlier, the Now Playing icon
watchos6-status-now-playing-icon-inline-icon.png
appears at the top of the screen when you're listening to audio on your Apple Watch. In watchOS 9 and later, this icon doesn't appear, but the app that's playing audio appears at the top of the Dock.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205550

However, according to the same article, the workout status is supposed to show but it isn’t for me:

This appears when you use Workout. If the Workout icon
watchos5-workout-inline-icon.png
still appears after you end your workout, restart your watch.

[Edited for readability. Original was typed on phone :) ]

Last edited:

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Why did Apple remove the Now Playing status? It was working just fine before.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Thanks for the info.

No workout status for me too. Very bad solution Apple has produced IMHO.

Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
I don’t understand why Apple have changed this…

The call icon is missing aswell…
Ugh. I haven’t received calls yet, but I’ll test when I get to the office today.

What model Watch are you using? I’m on the Series 4

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Let's send Apple a bug report, I did already:

The form has watchOS 8.7 as latest watchOS, I put "watchOS 9" in description and subject.

Maybe it helps, does not cost much.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Let's send Apple a bug report, I did already:

The form has watchOS 8.7 as latest watchOS, I put "watchOS 9" in description and subject.

Maybe it helps, does not cost much.
Thank you. I just submitted a bug report too.

This morning, I recorded an "Outdoor Walk" (I walk commute twice a day) and I couldn't find that Workout status from the watch face. UGH. SMH. It is quite annoying.

I'm not pleased with the new design in which "Now Playing" status is intended not to show up in the Watch face like it used to. SMH.

There's an ongoing bug with Shortcuts in the watch which has been there since the past several iterations of WatchOS 8 and continues to be in WatchOS 9. :(

Reactions: NME42

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
My spouse who wears a Series 5 also experienced the Workout status not showing up. definitely a bug.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
The removal of Now Playing from status seemed like a bug to me. But no, turned out to be a feature.

Same here.

First thought: "it is a bug".
Second thought: "ok, it is a feature. But there has to be a more useful alternative"

Day 4 and still see no reason why they removed the icons. Not saving space, not making things easier.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
I can see it now...

"Apple Watches 45mm and smaller will be unable to see the now playing icon as their screen can't support this in WatchOS 9 - to regain the functionality of the Now Playing icon on your screen please upgrade to an Apple Watch that is at least 49mm in size to take advantage of this exciting feature"

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
I can see it now...

"Apple Watches 45mm and smaller will be unable to see the now playing icon as their screen can't support this in WatchOS 9 - to regain the functionality of the Now Playing icon on your screen please upgrade to an Apple Watch that is at least 49mm in size to take advantage of this exciting feature"
Where did you get this? I find it hard to believe "at least 49mm".

• Haha
Reactions: Bogey99

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
No workout icon here either. I assumed it was a ”feature” and not a big because the removal of the now playing icon was deliberate. I sometimes forget to turn off my workout and that icon is the only thing that keeps me from logging an 18 hour yoga session, LOL. So annoying.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
No workout icon here either. I assumed it was a ”feature” and not a big because the removal of the now playing icon was deliberate. I sometimes forget to turn off my workout and that icon is the only thing that keeps me from logging an 18 hour yoga session, LOL. So annoying.
From the support article I posted earlier, it seems the missing Workout status is a bug. Let’s hope so.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Well I think it's a bug. BTW, I stopped by the Apple store today and started a workout on a Watch Series 8 (45mm)
and it didn't have the workout indicator either.
Thanks for confirming this! Unless the support article I quoted is incorrect (e.g, typo), then it looks like this is a bug. I certainly hope it is, because it was very convenient to tap back into the Workout from the Watch face when needed.

Reactions: menace3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.