Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that watchOS 9 will feature a new Low Power Mode on the Apple Watch Series 4 and newer. When the Low Power Mode is enabled, the Apple Watch will be able to get up to 36 hours of battery life per charge.

Apple-Watch-Low-Power-Mode-watchOS-9.jpeg

Apple says Low Power Mode will temporarily disable or limit select sensors and features, including the always-on display, autostart workouts, heart health notifications, and more. Other features like activity tracking and fall detection will remain available.

The new Low Power Mode in watchOS 9 is separate from the Apple Watch's existing Power Reserve mode that only displays the clock when enabled.

Low Power Mode is just one of many new features that will be available on the all-new Apple Watch Series 8 and Apple Watch SE, which are available to pre-order starting today and will launch on September 16. Other new features for the Apple Watch Series 8 include a body temperature sensor focused on women's health and car crash detection.

As for the new high-end Apple Watch Ultra, Apple said a new battery optimization feature will be available later this year that allows the device to get up to 60 hours of battery life per charge. It sounds like this feature will be separate from the Low Power Mode.

Article Link: watchOS 9 Introduces New Low Power Mode on Apple Watch Series 4 and Later

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithBN

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Thank you for saving me money, Apple.

This is basically the same watch as series 7.

Yes, menstruation and crash monitoring are nice features -- as well as a power-saving mode -- but I wonder how essential for those of us that had hoped for a redesign or more compelling capabilities.

I have bought an Apple Watch every year since its introduction -- in stainless steel no less. This is the first year that I walked away unimpressed.

Last edited:

raha613

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
I'm running the public beta and don't see low power mode... I wonder when that will make its debut?

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
This is super welcome news! I run low on power regularly and wish there was something between "all on" and "only the watch face". Also glad it goes down to the Series 4 (which I still have). Thanks!

Reactions: SantaFeNM

Arty6

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2016
Thank you for saving me money, Apple.

This is basically the same watch as series 7.

Yes, menstruation and crash monitoring are nice features -- as well as a power-saving mode -- but I wonder how essential for those of us that had hoped for a redesign or more compelling capabilities.

I have bought an Apple Watch every year since its introduction -- in stainless steel no less. This is the first year that I walked away unimpressed.

The PRO is remarkable, but sadly, at the rumored $1k cost, not for me.
The Pro(ULTRA) is $799. Real non-rumored price was out at the time this article posted. I’m sure apple is disappointed they didn‘t impress you though. I‘m sure that was their goal.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Nice welcome feature, but I already get 48 hours on my AW 6, do you think I’ll get another 12-18 hours with this? The only things I have already turned off are AOD and Walkid Talkie, but turning off activity AWARENESS might help even further.

Granted, at night i do put it in airplane mode (but with WIFI on) and turn off the auto screen activation and put on DND (I wish this could just be automatic) but I still get reliably 48 hours with 1.5 hours of workout tracked as well.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
  • Low Power Mode maintains core features of Apple Watch while temporarily disabling select background features such as always on display and heart health notifications to extend battery life
but you still get notifications from 3rd party apps? EG Whatsapp?
I just turned it on so will see

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
  • Low Power Mode maintains core features of Apple Watch while temporarily disabling select background features such as always on display and heart health notifications to extend battery life
but you still get notifications from 3rd party apps? EG Whatsapp?
I think so, because those are based on push notifications, the watch isn’t constantly running the service.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This is the feature I wanted to see and was the highlight of the day for me. Everything else seemed like they were trying to make something out of nothing.

They made interesting lemonade out of the pill but I'm going to wait at least until next year to see how that goes. They used the code word "iconic" meaning "get used to it" but we'll see.

Reactions: anticipate
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.