Water bottle recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Jul 13, 2014.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Following the Post Your Last Purchase threads, it's clear that the MR crowd owns some of the coolest things.

I'm looking for a cool water bottle. I drink a lot of water everywhere I go (usually mixed with various MiO flavors) and I'm tired of spending money on 24 packs of Dasani water bottles.

2. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Hydroflasks are pretty outstanding (they sell these at our yoga studio):

https://www.hydroflask.com

3. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I use one of these:
    bobble_med_blue_385x650__96971.1404286366.385.650.jpg

It's got a carbon filter that filters out chlorine and other organic things.

4. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

I have one from Eva Solo (Denmark). Don't know if they have a reseller at your location though. It is the first Bottle I came across (had Nalgene, Camelbak & Sigg before) that can handle sparkling water. And I like the Design as well.

[​IMG]

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I second this. I have a 40 oz and an 18 oz and have gotten many friends and coworkers to get their own after seeing how long it kept ice cold water. As an added bonus it doesnt even sweat. Plus hydroflask is a great company.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Do they really keep the water cold that long? Also, what kind of cap do you have and do they leak if laid down on their side?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just buy poland springs water, and short of that, I use a generic water bottle. I guess I'm decidedly uncool but water bottles are just water bottles, nothing really special about them :/

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you drink enough water each day, why not consider the Camelbak and carry your water around on your back. I used one of these when I was on active duty, as did most of us.

They also have water bottles and an assortment of all types of containers for water.

Attached Files:

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd look a little odd if I came into a staff meeting wearing one of those :p

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You don't have to get the camouflage one.... Or you could fill it coffee and then everyone would think you're a genius! ☕

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like the way you think :D

12. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Camelbak makes a great portable bottle.

[​IMG]

Lots of people here use these. After a stroke last year, I'm not supposed to put my neck in extreme positions, like craning it back to drink from a bottle. This way, I can drink keeping my head in the same position.

As an aside, my Chinese friends have gotten me into the habit of drinking hot water when I can, rather than cold. So the water I have in these is generally room temperature.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Why hot water rather than cold?

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Why hot water?

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

They (my friends) say it's better for the system, less of a shock. I was surprised a couple years ago when I was offered hot water in a cup on one of the summer's hottest days, and just as surprised when, after drinking it, I felt just as good as or better than when I have a cold drink on a hot day.

http://drmeelainling.com/8-reasons-to-drink-warm-water/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/421331-why-is-it-healthy-to-drink-hot-water/
    https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/top-7-health-benefits-warm-hot-water-141900805.html

(I'm not endorsing any of these links, and there are many others I could have chosen - this was just a quick search.)

16. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Yep, it’s almost like magic :) I’ve been impressed where it keeps the contents cold (even ice barely melts) with really extreme temps on the outside (like hiking or the hot yoga room @ ~110º)

Cap seals it up air tight, tight, but there are some optional tops with like flip up sippers and whatnot that probably don’t seal as tight.

Lifetime warranty too.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I pretty much just use whatever bottle the water came in.

[​IMG]

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I usually use a nalgene, in the winter I have a hydroflask that I use for hot drinks, and it does a great job of keeping things warm even being out all day at -20C.

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Ive filled my bottle up with ice water and left it for 2 days and it still had plenty of ice in it. Realistically it easily covers the advertised 24 hours but it depends on how much it is opened. Even in the sauna my water has ice in it for the 30 minutes I am in there, peoples reaction to that never gets old.

Different models have different caps but most are plastic and have a rubber gasket to vacuum seal the inside. I haven't experienced any type of leaking when it is on its side.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

At work I use a Klean Kanteen 40oz wide-mouth bottle. If I'm walking in an urban setting, I bring a narrow mouth 1 liter Nalgene bottle. If I'm walking in the wilderness I bring both plus an extra Nalgene and a filter pump.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Any steel water bottle will suffice, although I do like plastic bottles (BPA-free) because I can see into them.

Avoid aluminium bottles like Sigg, which require a resin coating lining the inside of the bottle.

I tend to use a "Thermos"-branded bottle I got in Japan. It keeps drinks very hot, for a very long time. In fact, I need to cool down my tea or coffee before putting it into the bottle, or else it remains undrinkably hot until the end of the day.

22. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

I use a 32 oz wide mouth Nalgene with an insert in the lid to make the opening smaller. That way I can put it under an ice dispenser and actually get ice in it, but it doesn't splash all over my face when I drink from it.

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

24. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I got this thermos water bottle at Target and have used it for over a year. Very affordable and very user friendly if you want to track how much water you are drinking daily. Additionally, the measurements on the side make it easy to use the bottle for mixed drinks and shakes because you can add just the right amount of water needed.

[​IMG]