water cooled to the max!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by grooveattack, Feb 25, 2009.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

He "blew up" both his original graphics cards whilst building it. Oookay :rolleyes:

Apple already used water cooling on a Power Mac G5 model and it was a disaster with many systems leaking as they aged. Wouldn't touch 'em with a bargepole.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yeah the PM G5s (watercooled ones), have a 100% failure rate after 2 years (IIRC), not a good statistic, for a professional machine too...

Although I do think we'll see watercooling in laptops, given apples recent patent we can't be more than a few years off before the tech will need to be implemented, I'm guessing in the 17" MBP/iMac first, then spreading to other/all units over a few years, it's the only way we can keep on pushing CPU speeds up.

EDIT: As A side note, I've been thinking about how difficult it would be to fit a watercooler into a current MBP, I guess once I get a new machine, several years from now, it would be a fun project to attempt, or buy a throw away iBook, if it works, it would be amazing, if not, no big loss. (I'm actually quite competent at CAD programs, and wouldn't be doing this on a "let's get the parts and see if they fit basis", it would be very well organised. Might be fun to try one day.

4. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

Beat me to it!

I was going to post this story as well but you beat me to it, its an amazing project and the graphics on that game look amazing.
    I'm not quite familiar with over-clocking CPU's but is it possible to do on all computers? and is it a code hack in the system?
    Using water in computers is quite amazing a lot of supercomputers use it as well, of course its dangerous but as some one mentioned before they may have to use it so that computers can move forwards.
    Any pics or links to macs with water cooling systems?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Water-cooling is moving backward. It's a worthless, dangerous waste.

PowerMac G5:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And one after the coolant has LEAKED. Which it DOES:

[​IMG]

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Backwards? As in tried in the G5, and not too successfully?

I'm not a big fan of water cooling, so don't consider this an argument. :D Too expensive, larger, wastes internal space, and more complicated, increasing the number of things that can go wrong (coolant & electronics don't do well in direct contact; leaks :().

To me, the relative simplicity of forced air is a better way to go. At least it won't short out anything it comes into contact with (air, not the aluminum or copper used to make the heatsink/fins/...). :p Cheaper is also nice. :D

7. Fomaphone macrumors regular

my computer had some of that white stuff on the bottom of the machine... i didn't realize that it was apparently leaking. i regret selling it as a paperweight to somebody who probably got apple to fix it for free. *#$%.

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

OOOOOoooo... It's orange... I likey :D but looks tacky :(

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Water + electronics = bad. I don't know what they do for supercomputers, but for a home desktop PC, it's no good.

I like the "Overclocked Orange" pun, but liquid cooling, along with the see-through case and glowing fans is as silly as people who pimp out their cars with huge spoilers and whatnot (think "The Fast and the Furious"). Even if there is a powerful engine under the hood, it's just ridiculous.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This just goes to show you how outlandish the rumors can really be.
    Sure, Apple will reintroduce a cooling method that has caused them to have to replace computers well out of warranty with machines that are ages ahead of the machines they're getting back. That'll happen!

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hint: Liquid Immersion + Refrigeration (NOT water) :D

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

LOL! Interesting view point. :confused:

Water cooling can be extremely effective at controlling temperatures and enabling maximum performance from your silicon without excessive noise.

I've water cooled my last two computers, the last one had 3 loops and enabled some sick overclocks on a 65nm quad core which is very difficult to keep under thermal control at higher voltages/clocks..

[​IMG]

You certainly can ruin electronics if you get them wet, but you can easily implement water cooling without endangering your electronics and with some regular maintenance (perhaps every 6-12 months) it will operate as good as new indefinitely.

Water cooling is not for everyone, but I would hardly call it a worthless, dangerous waste.

Cheers,
    -Chris.

13. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I'm assuming you mean that number as a joke, but if not you do need to reduce it since I have a DP 2.7 with LCS that has pretty much been running 24/7 since I bought it in April 2005 when they were introduced with no problems- and at least three others I know (with various G5s with LCS) have not had any problems either to this point. I kept hoping mine would start leaking so that I might get in on the possibility of a MacPro replacement but finally gave up and bought a MP. I just let mine run (doing Folding) and use it occasionally to test out something that requires a PPC processor to test.

14. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

That wasn't a very good video. I got the impression he was far from an expert, which confirmed it. Especially the fact when he killed his graphic cards.

He also gave me the impression he was trying to be smart with the woman trying to give all the fancy tech words etc etc

She didn't have a scooby anyway, so he could have said anything and got away with it. Even though it would have been rehearsed. He sucked at that game as well. It was like he didn't know what to do.

Has he not heard of research before killing hardware though, no?...

...and me. My warranty is well over. Fast approaching 4 years come this summer.

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Really? I guess I shouldn't base my perceptions on a few reports, that's like basing Apples entire QC reports based on forum posts... It's never accurate, the most recent story I read on it was utterly unrelated, but it was just a side note, that this tech lab had 10 or 11 G5s (water cooled), and they'd all died just after, or near the 2 year mark, in very close succession to each other...

16. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

Watercooling is really for the systems builders and gamers. BUT super computers have used it for years, Cray developed a liquid that has the same cooling property's as water yet it will NOT conduct electricity! People have sprayed it on running computer components and nothing happened. So it is an option.
    Some company has built a computer submerged in liquid that you can buy.

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Perhaps a crazy project could be done with a water based OC'd computer. Sub in silicone oil coolant, and either a small A/C or guts from a mini (dorm) fridge to construct a heat exchanger.

Result = Mini Cray. :eek: Cooling wise at least. :D :p

18. Trip.Tucker Guest

Mineral oil is the non conductive liquid that has been used for alternative cooling means in the hobbyist community by totally immersing the logic board, gpu, psu, etc.

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Wait...
    Water cooled and running less than 4Ghz? LOL
    only using Triple SLI GTX280? ROFL!!

Feckin noob!

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

Readily Available = Check.
    Cheap = Check.
    Messy PITA = Oh yeah. :D

Though the explanation for a warranty return might be interesting to hear. :p

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That was my thought at the beginning. Using liquid nitrogen for cooling is becoming an actually viable option.

Seriously, I don't see why someone doesn't just fabricate a processor out of Hg12Tl3Ba30Ca30Cu45O127, pop it in a test logic board that uses lab diamond instead of copper, et. al., cool it with liquid nitrogen, and fire it up to see the performance.

Because everyone knows that something of this nature would make the Gainestown Mac Pro look like an Apple ][ in comparison.

22. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Why, that person should be you! Tallest.

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hold your horses. Room temp superconductors are coming, so put the nitrogen away before you end up with frostbite. :eek: :D :p

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The first room-temperature superconductors will probably be ceramics, again, like the first high-temperature superconductors were.

I'm guessing it's hard to make a processor out of ceramic, but I could be wrong. :D

25. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ceramics aren't the easiest to work with. I looked a couple of weeks ago, and there's a researcher in (Japan?) that has created a new one that has higher temps than anything else yet created IIRC. (Turned up in a Google search).

The article indicated he's pursuing new variants based on metals. If successful, it would bode well IMO. :)