Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oddnalo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
So this is when I regret not buying Apple Care. I bought a MacBook pro 2019 in December. Long story short I spilled water over one side of the MacBook, nothing serious I wiped it off and kept working. When I wanted to charge it, it didn't and it didn't recognize my external HD. I went to Apple and they want to change the whole computer: Not just the USB C ports, but also the logic board, the keyboard and the touch bar. The amount of the repair equals to a new computer.

My question is, since everything else (touch bar, screen, keyboard, etcetera) is working ok, could I just go to a third party and get the ports changed? Or I should just get everything changed? Thank you! I'm really having a meltdown, I've had major spills with other MacBooks and PC and this has never happened...

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
Take it to a 3rd party repairer, one that has good reviews. Apple and their authorised dealers don't repair, they just replace. And that's expensive as you've found out. Fresh liquid damage repairs are quick and easy for an experienced tech. The ports themselves won't be the problem, it'll be corrosion on the voltage rails and maybe a couple of dead chips.

Reactions: Sanpete

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
The reason Apple wants to change everything is because corrosion continues to happen. Water may have gotten under components so therefore there is a possibility of corrosion continuing even if they are working today.

You can go the 3rd party route and if you find a good one you may be OK.

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
The reason Apple wants to change everything is because corrosion continues to happen. Water may have gotten under components so therefore there is a possibility of corrosion continuing even if they are working today.

You can go the 3rd party route and if you find a good one you may be OK.
No, the reason Apple want to change everything is because they make more money that way.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
No, the reason Apple want to change everything is because they make more money that way.

Its probably for a few reasons though.

There's the risk that corrosion can continue to happen leading to further repairs. If that happens, how do they know its not new damage rather than a failed repair?

Its quicker and easier for them to swap out major components, especially given how these new MacBooks are put together. So that's probably the financial component - they wouldn't want techs spending 2/3 times longer trying to repair a logic board when they can just swap it out. Besides, everything is soldered to the logic board.

The design of the laptop is also determining how much they want to replace.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
Its probably for a few reasons though.

There's the risk that corrosion can continue to happen leading to further repairs. If that happens, how do they know its not new damage rather than a failed repair?

Its quicker and easier for them to swap out major components, especially given how these new MacBooks are put together. So that's probably the financial component - they wouldn't want techs spending 2/3 times longer trying to repair a logic board when they can just swap it out. Besides, everything is soldered to the logic board.

The design of the laptop is also determining how much they want to replace.
The reasons don't really matter. They make more money by replacing. If the cost is too much, and it usually is, then they sell a new computer. It is a bit callous, but they are out to make money. I don't think any of the other major computer manufacturers would repair either.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
So this is when I regret not buying Apple Care. I bought a MacBook pro 2019 in December. Long story short I spilled water over one side of the MacBook, nothing serious I wiped it off and kept working. When I wanted to charge it, it didn't and it didn't recognize my external HD. I went to Apple and they want to change the whole computer: Not just the USB C ports, but also the logic board, the keyboard and the touch bar. The amount of the repair equals to a new computer.

My question is, since everything else (touch bar, screen, keyboard, etcetera) is working ok, could I just go to a third party and get the ports changed? Or I should just get everything changed? Thank you! I'm really having a meltdown, I've had major spills with other MacBooks and PC and this has never happened...

Possibly have CC buyer protection, 90 days or better?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Is that seriously what you'd do with a 2 month old macbook that has a very minor and easily repairable issue?

Think of it from a rusting perspective. Chips have gaps under them where they are attached to a board. These gaps lets liquid get under them. And once the liquid gets in, over time it can corrode the connections from the underside of the chip to the board. So the damage today can result in more damage in the future as connections corrode and rust forms connections between circuits that are not supposed to be connected.

Reactions: jbachandouris

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Yeah, as far as apple’s motivations go, my dad took his iPhone in because it wasn’t charging. Their solution was to try to sell him a brand new phone. They told him the battery was shot, the logic board was fried, and it was worth $0 on trade because it wouldn’t turn on. I asked him to look at it, I used a paper clip to clean some lint out of the lightning port, and shocker, the phone started charging as soon as I plugged it in. Works fine now. That’s an indication that they really had no interest in providing tech support, it’s just sales sales sales. I know this is happening on the computer side as well.

So as far as the OP is concerned, get the charging ports replaced by a third party, maybe that’s the end of it, maybe it dies in a couple of months. What’s the point in ditching the whole machine if there’s a 50/50 chance just a simple repair could keep it running?

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
Think of it from a rusting perspective. Chips have gaps under them where they are attached to a board. These gaps lets liquid get under them. And once the liquid gets in, over time it can corrode the connections from the underside of the chip to the board. So the damage today can result in more damage in the future as connections corrode and rust forms connections between circuits that are not supposed to be connected.
Water doesn't last long inside the hot case of a macbook.

oddnalo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Thank you to everyone. I consulted to a couple of third party shops and just like you, they told me my biggest error was going To Apple. They told me as soon as it got wet I should've gone to them for a full clean up And corrosion treatment and the damaged would've been fixed or mitigated. Sitting for a couple of days just for Apple to tell me "We have to replace everything" was a waste of time, as just like you they told me Apple doesn't fix, just replaces.

I'm really pissed just a minor water spill could do this much damaged, when I've spilled over soda and milk over my previous 2013 MacBook with no problem. The technician is hopeful that this cleanup will fix the damaged so I'm crossing my fingers. Thank you all!

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Accidental damage on your home insurance. And/or as you already said... AppleCare+...

You had an accident, you weren't sufficiently covered or prepared. That is an expensive life lesson learnt right there. Good luck.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
No need for AppleCare, it's wiser to get a good home insurance that covers all your tech, and it's a lot cheaper.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No need for AppleCare, it's wiser to get a good home insurance that covers all your tech, and it's a lot cheaper.
Meh, I have had mixed results. The problem is, if I am paying for insurance, I want Apple to fix it. Unless the insurance plan covers Apple fixing the device, it's a bad deal.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Does this sort of insurances cover such cases?

It did when I spilt a pint of Vodka Soda Lime on my old 2009 MBP a few (ahem) years ago...
[automerge]1582906048[/automerge]
Meh, I have had mixed results. The problem is, if I am paying for insurance, I want Apple to fix it. Unless the insurance plan covers Apple fixing the device, it's a bad deal.

You insist that Apple fix it at the insurer's expense... That's what I did when I needed it.. Took it to Apple, got a quote, submitted it to insurers. Insurers coughed up. Needless to say at the point of renewal they hit me back with a stinger rise in the policy. So I took my business elsewhere...

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Wow - there's so much crap in this thread about why Apple replace multiple components.

They replace multiple components because they have to return the machine to "Guarantee-able condition". AASPs will do the same. That's the key phrase.

Say, for example, they just replace the logic board. In a few months, the corrosion on the keyboard continues and shorts out the logic board, which in turn takes out the IO Board and Display. They're on the hook for all of those. Instead, anything which looks like it will eventually suffer damage from corrosion will be replaced. Same goes in other industries too. If you rear-end another car, they're not just going to pull and paint your bumper, they'll check for any weakened components which may end up breaking, causing further damage down the line. Those bumper clips you might have weakened could fail prematurely, causing another accident when your freshly painted bumped falls off.

It's not so much for the profit - of course they're not going to make a loss - but they don't actually make all that much off of Mac repairs (that person fixing your liquid damaged Mac could probably swap 20 iPhones in the same amount of time, which would be much more profitable). And the bounce rate of liquid damage repairs is quite high, which means more labour costs.
[automerge]1582906583[/automerge]
Does this sort of insurances cover such cases?

In the UK it normally does (if you have accidental contents protection). Sometimes it's not worth a claim though - the £600 you save will probably be added to your premiums over the next few years - especially if it's not your first claim.

oddnalo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Wow - there's so much crap in this thread about why Apple replace multiple components.

They replace multiple components because they have to return the machine to "Guarantee-able condition". AASPs will do the same. That's the key phrase.

Say, for example, they just replace the logic board. In a few months, the corrosion on the keyboard continues and shorts out the logic board, which in turn takes out the IO Board and Display. They're on the hook for all of those. Instead, anything which looks like it will eventually suffer damage from corrosion will be replaced. Same goes in other industries too. If you rear-end another car, they're not just going to pull and paint your bumper, they'll check for any weakened components which may end up breaking, causing further damage down the line. Those bumper clips you might have weakened could fail prematurely, causing another accident when your freshly painted bumped falls off.

It's not so much for the profit - of course they're not going to make a loss - but they don't actually make all that much off of Mac repairs (that person fixing your liquid damaged Mac could probably swap 20 iPhones in the same amount of time, which would be much more profitable). And the bounce rate of liquid damage repairs is quite high, which means more labour costs.
[automerge]1582906583[/automerge]

In the UK it normally does (if you have accidental contents protection). Sometimes it's not worth a claim though - the £600 you save will probably be added to your premiums over the next few years - especially if it's not your first claim.

UPDATE: so the third party shop was able to salvage my mac, only one port is damaged. But overall they said i was lucky nothing else was damaged (Keyboard, and touch bar is fine). As far as the crap on Apple goes... I think it's the "we are not even going to try and fix anything, we'll just make a new computer/phone to charge you more" When they could've just cleaned the water damaged and the mac would've been fine (Of course voiding warranty or something)

The shop did warned me i may or may not have problems on the long run. That's something i'll have to live with. So i'll be saving up for a new logic board.

Thank you all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.