Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoProDavidLe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
Hello all,

I know this question is asked on this forum a lot but for peace of mind I just have to start a thread on it. My Apple MacBook Pro 13" had Gatorade spilt on it. Right when it occurred I flipped the MacBook upside down to let as much of the liquid out as possible. It stayed on for a few minutes but then totally died and will not turn back on. I left it in a cooler of rice over night but that didn't seem to help at all.

My local Apple store charges a flat rate of $750 for repair (for whatever needs to be replaced) and MacService charges a little over $399 if it's just the Logic Board - but there could be more problems than just the logic board.

So my question is - what is the best method to getting my MacBook Pro repaired that is affordable. I did end up going out to buy a brand new MacBook but I would like to fix this one to use as a backup. What all could need replacement rather than the logic board?

I'm no professional with computers but I learn quickly. Is it do-able myself?

Thank you all!

- David L

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You bought a replacement MacBook? Well, then money should not be an issue, unless the Mac that is liquid damaged is too old.

back to the point: I for one, would recommend looking over at iFixIt. They have many Mac parts for a cheap price (in most cases) and even tell you which tools you might need for the DIY repairs. Furthermore they also offer the guides to DIY repairs in case.

GoProDavidLe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
You bought a replacement MacBook? Well, then money should not be an issue, unless the Mac that is liquid damaged is too old.

back to the point: I for one, would recommend looking over at iFixIt. They have many Mac parts for a cheap price (in most cases) and even tell you which tools you might need for the DIY repairs. Furthermore they also offer the guides to DIY repairs in case.

Money isn't an issue but I would rather go the most affordable route if possible.

I just checked out ifixit and it seems like for my MacBook Pro model (mid 2012), the logic board is $649. Does that sound about right? I keep seeing so many different prices for these logic boards that it's beginning to confuse me lol.

Thanks for your help!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Right when it occurred I flipped the MacBook upside down to let as much of the liquid out as possible. It stayed on for a few minutes but then totally died and will not turn back on.

By leaving it on you likely caused irreperable damage. Anytime a spill happens, the device needs to be powered off.

What all could need replacement rather than the logic board?

The logic board is where nearly all of the components in the computer are attached. If something is wrong with it, it'll need to be replaced.

I'm no professional with computers but I learn quickly. Is it do-able myself?

iFixit has guides. I'd suggest reading up on them and buying a replacement logic board.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The chances of it being just the logic board are slim to none.

The liquid went through the top case, so that's a new top case and possibly a trackpad right there. Then there's the mlb itself - which also holds the RAM (I'm assuming it's not retina right here), so you could need new ram. You could also need numerous internal cables/fans, etc.

It could have also got other components depending of whether it reached the sides - such as the magsafe board, or if you've been really unlucky, a display too (it could have corroded the LVDS connector).

Bottom line - with liquid damage, there is absolutely no way of telling until you open it up. Best case scenario, you're looking at a top case, worst case scenario you're looking at having most of the machine replaced. IMO, the flat rate repair is the best deal. They could replace pretty much everything in your machine for that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The odds a good that more then just the logic board failed at this point particularly since it was left on for a period of time.

Go for the 750 if you want peace of mind, but if you're in a gambling sort of mood then opt for the logic board only repair. If it were me, I'd probably go for the 750 option.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
You may have been fine if you shut the machine off after the liquid was spilled

Why would you leave the machine on? You fried it I'm sure

GoProDavidLe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! It was much help.

I took the bottom-side of the MacBook off last night and saw there was a little residue on the logic, HDD, battery

I think I left it on because it was such a hectic area at the time and it was the first time I have ever experienced a spill on any kind of electronic.

konradsa

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
Wow, after reading this, thus far I was against using a keyboard cover. but just decided to order one and try it out. Looks like spilling onto the keyboard can really happen quickly and cause issues.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Wow, after reading this, thus far I was against using a keyboard cover. but just decided to order one and try it out. Looks like spilling onto the keyboard can really happen quickly and cause issues.

Either that, or exercise extreme caution with open containers around your computers. Use a closed container - travel cup or similar, and never set the cup/glass/bottle near the computer. You probably have a large enough desk/area to keep it away from electronics.

'nuf said.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
get a keyboard cover for your new macbook. i wish money wasn't an issue for me haha

GoProDavidLe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
Yeah I definitely learned my less this time. I'm never going to have any food or drinks near my computers haha.

I didn't know keyboard covers could mess up your screen!

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
You ought to read through the other posts before you respond.

nooo i dont think keyboard covers damage my screen, ive had two in over a year and its all fine. :cool:

i think i got the moshi keyboard protectors that are like 1mm thin. If you try using a keyboard cover i can assure you in 3 months you can see how dirty it gets and how all that dirt and oil didnt stick to your keyboard, macbooks are still susceptible to shiny keys over time.

If the TS had a keyboard protector, the liquid wouldve pooled to the side of the laptop :)

GoProDavidLe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
It has been 3-4 days after the water damage now. The laptop seems to be charging a little bit. When I hit the power button I can see the fan wanting to start spinning. Is there anything specific I should attempt to clean or do to give it a jump start?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.