Water on my MBP...Yikes!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joemero, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Joemero macrumors regular

Big mistake I know, but I spilled A LITTLE water on the right side of my keyboard and right speaker on my 15" MBP. I immediately got a towel and dried it up, carefully turned it upside down and continued to absorb the little water if any that was still there. It seems like it splashed mainly on the speaker and the "O" key....lol. Anyway I did a quick test, and everything seems to be functioning normally, but paranoia set in and I shut it down and set it outside in the patio (IN THE SHADE) but it's about a good 93F right now. Will this help or hinder it from drying out any additional moisture? It's off and with the screen open. How long should I leave it like this before turning on again. Or if any damage were to occur, it would have happened already?

And yes I know...DOH, liquids and notebooks dont belong close to each other.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I would advise keeping the computer off for about a week.

Even if it is hot outside, any kind of humidity will make it worse.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you really want to make sure that any water is gone, then leave it sitting in a sunny spot for 4 to 5 days. Then after the 4 to 5 days any water should be gone.

4. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

I think a sunny spot in West Texas would fry the MBP. It was pure distilled water, that I know for sure. So I hope it dries up without consequence.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If it really was pure distilled water, there should be no issue whatsoever. Distilled water isn't an electrolyte and therefore cannot short out the computer. Tap/bottled water on the other hand can easily short a computer.

Keep in mind that the moisture sensors still will have gone off and your AppleCare will be voided.

6. omizzle macrumors regular

I don't know how plausible this is, but if you put something in a bowl of rice, the rice absorbs the moisture...so try that?

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

WOW. I seriously didn't know it voided AppleCare? Didn't even know there were moisture sensors? Why would it be voided if there was no problem caused? Sorta nuts?

8. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

Well that's a relief, it was 100% Arrowhead distilled water for sure. Should I still let it dry a few hours, days? I have it outside in dry heat. No humidity in El Paso, TX. I don't have AppleCare I have 1 yr warranty that comes when you buy a refurb unit from Apple direct.

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

The 1yr is still classed as AppleCare technically, it's just warranty. I presume that will be void now too.

10. andypullen macrumors member

andypullen

I did this with my cell phone. It worked great.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It should be fine to turn on after 48 hours or so if that's the case. There shouldn't be any need to wait any longer if most of the water was caught when the spill initially occurred. Keep in mind too that your warranty is gone.

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I would not advise that as you risk making a bigger mess.

As water can damage a machine, and water damage isn't a manufacturing defect, coverage will be voided. The only way that they know about water damage is the water sensor, so as long as it is set off, they won't cover damages.

Don't bother buying extended AppleCare then. You already have AppleCare by default.
    You can try going in to the Apple store, explain what happened, and get them to look over your machine after a week if it is completely working. This way you can prove that the water didn't damage any electronics (but I still think they will void the warranty)

13. vista.john macrumors regular

Helped a friend who spilled coffee in her macbook couple weeks ago. The whole cup of coffee went under keyboard and the macbook shut down immediately. I was around and did advise her not turning it on. I immediately opened the computer, drained all the coffee, wipe off the logic board with pure ethanol. And let it sit in a warm room for overnight. We assembled it back couple days later... and everything works fine other than some residue coffee smell... :D

good luck with your MBP! ;)

14. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

It wasn't that much water, just a little splash over the top of a few keys and the right speaker. How sure is it that it set off the moisture sensor? Is there anyway to tell? How do the apple folks notice, is there some kind of utility?

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There is a physical water sensor inside of the computer. You would have to take the computer apart to check to see if it was tripped.

16. Boesky macrumors 6502

17. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Someone once spilt half a can of Coke on my beloved MacBook Pro, it went over the power button and got into the hinge... even after everything I read on here I was too impatient and turned it on again after only a couple hours :eek: Not the best idea and I definitely dont recommend it, just wait it out, but that was two and a half months ago now and I haven't experienced the slightest problem since :eek:

18. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

This is comforting...half a can of COKE! I mean compared to my little splash of distilled water. was it the unibody MBP?

19. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

Just how much water does it take to trip it? I mean, what if you're close to the beach and there is a light ocean breeze. Or you're at a restaurant with those misters out in the porch? Not misting directly on you notebook, but the whole air is humid. Would that trip it? Is there a more critical side that can do more harm, i.e. left side of the keyboard vs. right side of the keyboard?

20. hamish5178 macrumors member

Out of curiosity, what were you doing with the distilled water?

If you did spill something bad, like Coke, in your laptop, why can't people just submerge them in distilled water and then let them dry?

21. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Just a drop of water directly on the sensor would trip it. And I don't think that humidity would trip the water sensor as Apple says that it can handle "Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing" in their tech specs. What MacBook Pro do you have?

22. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

I was drinking it, reached for somthing and glass fell on the table splashing some of it on my keyboard and hinge...little bit on right speaker.

I'm don't know the answer to this. I think I read somewhere that circuit boards could be cleaned with distilled water, not sure.

23. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

Is the sensor throughout the keyboard or only in certain areas?

I have a 1 week old 15" 2.53, 4gb, 320gb I believe it's a 2008 edition, aluminum unibody. It has the door underneath to remove the battery, so that's why I know its not a 2009. Purchased from apple direct-refurb

24. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Unless you spilled water very close to the sensor, I think that you'll be okay, and either way, I think you could probably argue your case if you only tripped one water sensor, but who knows, I wouldn't put to much thought into it either way, what's done is done.

25. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

distilled water? thats odd. But its true, pure water is not a conductor. Your mac is more than likely dry by now. It doesnt take a week for water to evaporate. Setting inside where the humidity is low is the best thing for it.