Water-proof case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by capecod565, May 24, 2010.

1. capecod565 macrumors member

We are out in our boat a lot and do a lot of kayaking, and I really dont want to take it with us.
    For example, yesterday I fell out of my kayak into the ocean and if I had brought my iPhone with me, I would have been might upset!

Any suggestions?
    Thank you.

I also had a tether on my old Samsung phone, but don't see any way to tether the iPhone. I used to hang my Samsung around my neck and tuck it into a shirt pocket when on my bike.

Edit, to add, I have been Googling for this and this one looks pretty good. Seeing that I dont scuba dive any more, the case doesnt have to withstand any great amount of pressure.
    Anyone have one of these?
    http://www.waterproof-paper.com/cases/waterproof-iphone-case.shtml

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Dude its just not worth it. It's a $600 cell phone. Are you sure you wanna put $600 on a case actually being fully waterproof?

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

4. capecod565 thread starter macrumors member

There is a guarantee which comes with it. Here is what they say,,,,,,,,
    "All Aquapac waterproof cases are guaranteed to be 100% waterproof and airtight and backed by a three year guarantee. Can withstand underwater pressure to 15ft (5m). Comes with a detachable cord so you can easily carry it around your neck or attach it to your belt loop, backpack, etc."

I wont be using this snorkeling, just on the beach, in the kayaks and the other family boats. So the chance of it actually being under water for any length of time is quite remote. And for sure, I wont be using that tiny kayak any more, I will stick with my very stable and heavier one.
    If I do fall out or the iPhone gets dunked, it wont be long or deep. I hope,,,,,,
    I will do a bit more research today, then go for it.
    http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/waterproof-iphone-case-br-104-1792-0.html

I have to measure it also to make sure it will fit into the case, as I have a cover on it, but the cover is very thin.
    If I order if from LLBean, it can be returned for the next size up.
    Thanks.

5. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

April - Sept your talking to a guy who lives on the water, if im not IN or ON the water, im at the beach... im well versed in this type of iphone-iry...

what ive come up with that i find is best case situation is that if your phones going to be subeject to REAL hazards, IN the water, your best using a $20 gophone with your Sim card to just not chance it...

if you're going to be using your phone in a place where it may be around the water, ie, ON a boat, on the beach, someplace where its not in immediate threat, then its great to just have the layer of protection of the waterproof case...

if im on the boat, then i bring my iphone in its drycase. if im out windsurfing in the water, the i put my gophone into the drycase.

definitely take a look at these threads...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=662066&highlight=aquapac+dry+case

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=892167&highlight=aquapac+drycase

ive only had one case fail on me, and the manufacturer replaced it when i showed them a photo of what happened.

6. capecod565 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I think I might get my old Samsung made into a pre-paid phone. Then I can take it on days that I will be swimming a lot. It has a pretty good camera in it. Thats a great idea. The ATT store guy said it would be about $30 to activate it and prepare it.
    Then the iPhone would be for non-snorkeling days.
    If we go back to Belize, I would consider leaving my iPhone home here in USA.
    This was my first camera way back when I was scuba diving all the time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_(camera)
    It went everywhere world wide with me, but oh, was it heavy!
    Times and technology sure have changed. So many fun things, toys, gadgets, and not enough time to play with it all.
    Thanks again, I think the go-phone is a great idea for days that we would be in the water a lot. Just tether it around my neck in the smaller waterproof case.

7. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

two thumbs up for drycase,
    their customer support is local, USA, and second to none. they stand behind their product!

8. capecod565 thread starter macrumors member

I also looked at these, but chose the aquapac because of the smaller size, for my iPhone. We dont scuba anymore, but our kids do, so they will most likely get your product. Yours is larger.
    I didn't see a tether, but now when I look at the pictures up close, I see there is a place for one. A tether is very important to us with the kayaking.

I am sending your site as well as the other site, to our kids, and if we go back to Belize this coming winter, I will get your larger case for my digital camera.
    Thank you for the additional info.

9. capecod565 thread starter macrumors member

Humid weather, cant get my phone in the case

Here I am back, and its darn humid here on Cape Cod, yesterday I just couldn't get my iPhone into my Aquapack case. Its a great case, but I guess my picture-case makes it a tight squeeze.
    http://www.jcdouglass.net/iPhone-cover/the-cover.jpg
    The picture case makes it somewhat larger overall.

So I think I shall buy the Dry-Case, as its bigger.
    Our daughter had her iPhone with us yesterday, which was pretty good, as she picked up a storm headed for us, thus we had time to get home and haul our motorboat before it hit.
    Thanks again, this forum is a lifesaver,
    Jane

10. Orlandorealtor macrumors regular

Orlandorealtor

11. capecod565 thread starter macrumors member

12. mmoto macrumors member

I've been using this Sealline case when kayaking with my iPhone 4. No leaks.

[​IMG]

-Brad

13. xraytech macrumors 68020

Not being a smartass, well maybe just a little. But if you already have one of these in you kitchen, why not?

http://www.foodsaver.com/Index.aspx

And BONUS!!!

You can use your iP4 while sealed in the bag!

14. troop231 macrumors 603

+1 :cool:

15. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

Considering you can't use the iPhone 4's touchscreen underwater I don't see the point in taking it with you if you SCUBA dive.

16. punisher1-1 macrumors member

best waterproof case

http://www.pelican-case.com/i1015.html

Pelican makes cases to military standard and I have one of these and the fit is great even with a bumper on and is waterproof and even has a spot to listen to the headphones.

17. xraytech macrumors 68020

And!!! You won't get freezer burn!

18. capecod565 thread starter macrumors member

No way to tether the foodsaver, but one cool idea if we take other stuff kayaking inside my river bag. My husband and one of our kids will be rafting down the Colorado thru the Grand Canyon, and they usually use the zip-loc freezer bags. They take a bunch of them, but this foodsaver seems a bit more rugged.
    Though the zip-locs can be opened at the end of the day and re-used for a while.
    Stuffing them inside the life jackets is not good, unless the life jackets that are supplied have the pockets in them(the newer ones do).

But for kayaking and such, I think the Dry Case is the one for me. I like the arm-band and the tether options.
    Lots of good info here, this is a great forum, thank you again,
    Jane

19. RA19 macrumors regular

20. capecod565 thread starter macrumors member

So many cases for our iPhones nowadays.

I just ordered some of the http://www.ilocstore.com/ cases. Be sure to get the ones with the grommet for the tether.
    I do recommend a tether if you are on the beach or boating. Yesterday if I had not had a tether, when reaching when digging a couple of clams, it would have slid out of my pocket and gone into the ocean. I had not planned on getting a few clams, but the tide was perfect for that.
    Jane

21. techFANboy macrumors newbie

+1

22. capecod565 thread starter macrumors member

600?

Im not sure of cell phones being that expensive, my iPhone was under 200.
    I think you mean an iPad?
    But protect it no matter what if you are boating or on the beach.
    Jane

23. tp1 macrumors newbie

Is the water proof the same as the life proof?

24. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I had pre ordered mine and should have it soon CAN'T WAIT