Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capecod565

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Cape Cod
I dont think so, this lifeproof thing is a snug fitting much tougher case, its not a glorified ZipLoc as the cheap ones are.
I will have to look into this one a bit more, we get what we pay for, so thats an indication that this is a much more sophisticated case.
Thank you for the link, there are a lot more of these coming onto the market, as there is a need for them.
Wait till we see it in MacWorld magazine, then we KNOW its going to be what they say.
I just might buy one to see how it measures up, and pass the info along.
Jane

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Im not sure of cell phones being that expensive, my iPhone was under 200.
I think you mean an iPad?
But protect it no matter what if you are boating or on the beach.
Jane

Ask your cell provider what the price is if you're not signing a new two year contract. Then you'll think different.

capecod565

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Cape Cod
Oh, I entirely forgot about that.
I guess it would be very expensive.
All the more reason for taking explicit care of it.
In that situation, I might not take it kayaking or boating even with a good case and a tether.

imutter

macrumors 6502
I dont think so, this lifeproof thing is a snug fitting much tougher case, its not a glorified ZipLoc as the cheap ones are.
I will have to look into this one a bit more, we get what we pay for, so thats an indication that this is a much more sophisticated case.
Thank you for the link, there are a lot more of these coming onto the market, as there is a need for them.
Wait till we see it in MacWorld magazine, then we KNOW its going to be what they say.
I just might buy one to see how it measures up, and pass the info along.
Jane

I have a friend who is a beta tester and he takes his phone in the shower now. Also submerged it in a fishtank. I ordered 4 one in each color and 1 for my kid

capecod565

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Cape Cod
The videos of the lifeproof case look so good that I think I shall pre-order one too. However I sent a couple of questions to them, The most important thing for us is to have a way to tether it. When snorkeling or kayaking, the case I use now, has a grommet for my tether. So it can be around my neck, as knowing me, I could easily drop it when snorkeling, or if I capsize in the kayak.

I have another earlier case that floats, but its bulky and awkward to use.

Though I surely think that this one is really the best Ive seen so far. Tether, and I will certainly get one(or several).
Thank you for telling us about them.
Jane

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
The videos of the lifeproof case look so good that I think I shall pre-order one too. However I sent a couple of questions to them, The most important thing for us is to have a way to tether it. When snorkeling or kayaking, the case I use now, has a grommet for my tether. So it can be around my neck, as knowing me, I could easily drop it when snorkeling, or if I capsize in the kayak.

I have another earlier case that floats, but its bulky and awkward to use.

Though I surely think that this one is really the best Ive seen so far. Tether, and I will certainly get one(or several).
Thank you for telling us about them.
Jane
It will have an attachment point for a lanyard. LifeProof will actually be releasing their very own lanyards soon.

capecod565

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Cape Cod
That is perfect!
Just what I want. Was kayaking today and used my Aqua Pack, its nice but a bit bulky, this one will be better.
I should find out if it fits over my custom case for my iPhone, too, waiting to hear back from them with some of these questions.
Jane

tekbeattv

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
We are out in our boat a lot and do a lot of kayaking, and I really dont want to take it with us.
For example, yesterday I fell out of my kayak into the ocean and if I had brought my iPhone with me, I would have been might upset!

Any suggestions?
Thank you.

I also had a tether on my old Samsung phone, but don't see any way to tether the iPhone. I used to hang my Samsung around my neck and tuck it into a shirt pocket when on my bike.

Edit, to add, I have been Googling for this and this one looks pretty good. Seeing that I dont scuba dive any more, the case doesnt have to withstand any great amount of pressure.
Anyone have one of these?
http://www.waterproof-paper.com/cases/waterproof-iphone-case.shtml

Probably will be mentioned in an earlier user input but the LifeProof case should provide you that waterproof protection you need, however they are pretty backed up with orders. I would try getting an order placed soon if you are in a hurry.

Lifeproof Cases

Hope this helps!

iPhaithful

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
Ziploc-Bag.png

:)

capecod565

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Cape Cod
Yes, indeed! Those are what my kids use now, and the grandkids too.
But I am going to hand out the others, as they have grommets.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
Probably will be mentioned in an earlier user input but the LifeProof case should provide you that waterproof protection you need, however they are pretty backed up with orders. I would try getting an order placed soon if you are in a hurry.

Lifeproof Cases

Hope this helps!

Definitely. I preordered back in February and it took 2 days for me to get my purchase link. There is a huge demand for these things.

First orders are supposed to begin shipping on the 17th.

Check out their Facebook page, they have a couple new pics of the actual device, not a rendering.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
It will have an attachment point for a lanyard. LifeProof will actually be releasing their very own lanyards soon.

No it doesn't come with an attachment point. They will make their own lanyards, but I have no idea how they will work.

capecod565

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Cape Cod
This one looks like a winner. The pictures certainly are clear, and you can see the quality of this one much better.
The attachment point looks great too.

I just wonder if this will fit over an iPhone with a case like mine?

Attachments

• the-case.jpg
    the-case.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
this one looks like a winner. The pictures certainly are clear, and you can see the quality of this one much better.
The attachment point looks great too.

I just wonder if this will fit over an iphone with a case like mine?

w..........t...........f............!?!?!

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
70.00 to waterproof your iphone. hmmm I hope you spend a lot of time in/on the water. no matter what it will definitely pay for itself the first time you actually need it.

capecod565

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Cape Cod
Please explain?
This case of mine does add to the *dimensions* of my iPhone, and what I was asking, was if this waterproof case advertised, would fit *over* another case, as it looks very close fitting and somewhat non-flexible.

I guess that I did not explain this question well enough, sorry the picture of my iPhone sitting upon my dog's shoulder was so confusing.

Just look at the phone and not the dog, the dog is jumping on the road cone, ignore this, its the size of the cases that I am asking about.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
Please explain?
This case of mine does add to the *dimensions* of my iPhone, and what I was asking, was if this waterproof case advertised, would fit *over* another case, as it looks very close fitting and somewhat non-flexible.

I guess that I did not explain this question well enough, sorry the picture of my iPhone sitting upon my dog's shoulder was so confusing.

Just look at the phone and not the dog, the dog is jumping on the road cone, ignore this, its the size of the cases that I am asking about.

I believe what confused everyone was when you said "this" one looks like a winner and didn't specify what "this" was.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
My bad on the false information regarding the lanyard. I guess there isn't an attachment point but they will be releasing a lanyard designed for the LifeProof case, supposedly around September.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.