Water Resistance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seifhatem, Sep 29, 2016.

1. seifhatem macrumors member

Hey guys,
    am just wondering if any "normal" user has tried using his iPhone 7 under water

I know there are many videos on YouTube but just need to know if anyone of you have tried it

Thanks

2. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Under water? No. Having the iPhone 7 get wet briefly? Yes. The iPhone 7 is not water proof remember, it's rated for IP67X water resistance.

4. HEK Suspended

HEK

What part of water resistant is hard to understand. If you want an underwater camera they make those or enclosures for underwater use. Last time I tried no one was able to understand what I was saying over the phone while underwater.

5. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

It won't work underwater anyways since the screen is not usable, and the water acts the same as you pressing all over the screen so the auto focus would go crazy thinking you are trying to manually focus and expose on different parts of the scene, and you wouldn't be able to press the shutter button.

6. noobinator macrumors 601

You can press the volume (can't remember if it's up or down) for shutter.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's water *resistant* and Apple do not cover water damage....so it's best to avoid water at all costs. The water resistance is basically a small insurance policy against accidental damage. I can't believe the amount of threads about people using their new iPhones in the shower and taking them to the swimming pool.

8. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

As I mentioned though, it's going to go crazy with false touches thinking you're trying to focus and expose on different parts of the scene

9. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I dunked my phone in water a few times...worked fine. Nothing to worry about.

10. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Go ahead and try it yourself. Then come back here and let us know. ;)

11. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I do intend to take mine to the pool and beach, though not necessarily for underwater images; that would be one of the advantages of the iPhone 7. With AppleCare+, if there is water damage, it should cost $99. It's worth the experiment. If it does get water damage once, I will know it's not safe, and not do it anymore.

12. mildocjr macrumors 65816

IP67 rating scale - http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

Review it.

What water resistant means is that it resists water but doesn't mean waterproof, some people resist arrest but they might still get arrested.

Waterproof means it will not allow liquids to enter the casing at any depth, or as long as the structure can withstand the water pressure before the structure itself fails (breaks).

For instance a waterproof watch makes it down about 100 meters before either the O-rings give or the plastic breaks. For diving watches, they use strong materials which allow the watches to go down to 300m (deepest I've seen). At 300 meters you are talking about almost 1000ft, recreational scuba divers typically go down to 150 ft. in comparison to how deep that is.

As for the rest of you, 1 meter, or 3 feet for very short periods of time. Also consider how willing you are to risk a $900 phone before you do.

13. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I wouldn't go swimming with it but if you want to do a test dunk for like 10-15 seconds, it should be totally fine.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

They actually do cover water damage because of that rating. Same thing with the Apple Watch. You can't rate a phone Water resistant and not cover water damage.

If you are one meter deep for less than 30 mins and it fails that's a manufacture defect.

15. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Apple is very good with customer service. Just approach them nicely and with sincerity and they'll give you the same service back.

16. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I don't think they cover water damage. But under AppleCare+ it should fall under 'accidental damage,' which costs $99. I think that makes it worth taking the risk of brining it to the pool, as long as you keep it above 1m, and no more than 30 minutes.

17. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I don't believe this is true. I have an iPhone 7+, it's having issues, and when I set up a case to exchange it they asked me if it had been in contact with liquids. Just because it has that rating doesn't mean the company has to cover it under warranty as they have no idea if you kept the phone within it's proper depth or if you went swimming with the device for an extended period of time. If it is water damaged, it could just mean that the user went too deep. Albeit, it could be a manufacturing defect, but neither you nor Apple will be able to prove how deep you actually went while you've had the phone.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not here. Treating it like any other iPhone, except that if it gets wet I won't freak out. But I still go out of my way not to place liquids near it and I don't take it into the bathroom when I shower because of steam/humidity. The only thing I will probably do is go to Disneyland without a plastic bag for Splash Mountain. Phone is still in my pocket, but I don't need to remember that extra layer of protection.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

How do you prove the depth and amount of time submerged?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They do not cover water damage on the iPhone 7.

21. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Good for raining days.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

exactly. You can't and they can't. It will work the same way it has for people with the apple watch, AC+ or not, it will be covered.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We had a big debate on this because while they've been swapping out water damaged AWs under the standard warranty on a regular basis, Apple is on record in stating that "liquid damage (is) not covered under warranty" with the iPhone 7.

I'm still waiting for the first report where a member is able to swap out a water-damaged iPhone 7 under the standard warranty, then we'll know for sure whether it's just an empty threat like "Submerging the Apple Watch is not recommended."

24. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

My car has crumple zones, but I'm not about to go out and test them. :D

25. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

to each their own! I did it and it's fine...totally perfect phone.