Water Resistant iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taptic, Sep 5, 2014.

1. taptic, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014

taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Well, the galaxy S5 showed that flagship smartphones can do a decent job of being water resistant. It's pretty awesome considering the number of water damaged phones out there. What do you think the possibilities of Apple making a water resistant iPhone are? I realize that, as far as the 6 goes, we haven't really seen anything looking towards that except POSSIBLY a rubber piece under the sleep/wake button, but do you think this is even something Apple might compete in. Often they seem to say, "Great. Your phone has that feature, but we don't think we need it."

Do you think that'll be the way they go with this one too?

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I think it's a possibility for the future but won't happen on the iPhone 6.

:apple:

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

4. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Yeah... I'd rather not have it water resistant than a bunch of plugs...

5. Izauze macrumors 6502

...until you do.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Insurance or replacement cost helps, though.

7. 960design macrumors 68020

HzO and other companies have had this covered for several years now. At one point they were in discussions with Apple about the nano coating for iPhone and MacBook Pro / Airs. To be frank the exact discussions are unknown to me, could have been, "Hey, this is cool, can you scale it up to 500 million? Nope. Well let us know."

----------

I spend quite a bit of time on the water. I do need it.

8. cnotes2019 Suspended

9. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Hopefully we'll have it on the 7... maybe it could even be a side-feature of the 6s...

10. cnotes2019 Suspended

There is a craze about waterproofing even regarding the note 4

11. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

Yes agree, it is possible for future devices like iPhone 7 or other, but if there will be water resistance iPhone 6 so we can see it in mock ups.

12. co0kie macrumors newbie

There is other ways to waterproof electronics, you dont need ugly plugs for that. However i dont think we are going to get that in the 2-3 upcomin gen. iPhone

----------

Im sure Apple can make it better with more research.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GBuTiCdHiWE

13. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

With global warming and the sea levels rising we will need it sooner rather than later :D LOL.

But honestly speaking, I have no requirement for it.

14. willmtaylor, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I have a friend inside Apple that told me it definitely WILL be a feature in iOS 9. You just have to toggle the On/OFF switch in the Settings>General menu....

15. Altis macrumors 68020

Apple seems to design their products for people who live in large cities and have access to plenty of cellular data.

I don't see them going to water proof/resistant any time soon. You need a water/dust/shock resistant case if you want to take it off the beaten path.

16. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

And Samsung phones that are water/proof-resistant are made for people who require little access to data and live in small cities?? Not sure what you mean with your opening response.

17. Altis macrumors 68020

Well, for one thing, I made no mention of Samsung, did I?

I'm simply giving an opinion that Apple doesn't seem to make things to be water/dust/damage resistant, which you start to need when you are outdoors. You can simply buy a case to deal with those conditions or a more robust device.

It's just a matter of them focusing on their target market. I do think that it's something everyone could benefit from if done properly, though.

18. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Don't be dense. Samsung designed a phone that is waterproof/resistant in the form of the S5 that is not marketed to outdoor demographics.

Just do a search on these forums for how many times people have toilet dropped, coffee spilled, and so on to understand why waterproofing in todays "target market" is much needed.

19. cynics macrumors G4

Your wording is incorrect. All manufactures design devices for that particular demographic in mind.

What you may have meant to say is, Apple does not design products for those with a more active lifestyle.

They typically rely on third party manufacturers. Lifeproof and others for waterproof cases, Otterbox and others for shock proof. Mophie and others for extending battery life. Other manufacturers are just now building that stuff into the phone. Apple seems to be stepping up with a more scratch resistant screen technology with sapphire albeit that is one of the things at the bottom of the list that needed addressing but whatever...

20. Altis macrumors 68020

I completely agree with what you're saying. It isn't dense to say that Apple doesn't design their products to be robust in these manners.

If they did, they wouldn't have been so easily damaged by water/coffee spills. In fact, if they didn't make their devices so slippery and used a soft/matte synthetic, they probably wouldn't have ended up in the toilet in the first place. ;)

But that's just my point. Apple doesn't seem to show any concern in that area. I agree that it is needed, and an iPhone made for the real world would be nice.

Even that wording is still not entirely accurate, as you can have an active lifestyle where the phone is perfectly safe (the gym, for instance).

The current finish (anodized aluminum) is so easy to scratch/dent/bend, while being pretty slippery, just shows that Apple doesn't really care much about designing their items to be durable for what I consider to be the real world. Waterproofing usually comes at the cost of reduced audio/mic sound quality.

All this to say, I don't see Apple making the phone water resistant, given their overall lack of concern for making the iPhone robust. I hope I am wrong, though, as it would be great.

We are talking about the same people that think the Alarm Clock app should be eye-searing white.. :rolleyes:

21. Spontida macrumors regular

Not to be a troll but possibly on the iPhone 7s, "s" for swimming. Or the iPhone 6s but I don't see that happening.

22. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I don't think we'll see a waterproof phone anytime soon.

It requires a bunch of ugly flaps and apple is just not about that life.

23. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Take your trolling back to 4chan, buddy. :rolleyes:

24. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Learn to take a joke, chief.