water spilled on macbook pro! Someone help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ijpearson, Jul 16, 2011.

1. ijpearson macrumors newbie

so last night my girlfriend and I were watching a movie through airvideo onto my ipod and she knocked over a full glass of tea on my macbook pro. She immediately flipped it over and I unplugged it but it tried to restart and then just shut off. Since last night, I took off the bottom plate and set the computer on some paper towels with a fan on it to dry it. I don't have the right screwdriver to take out the battery though.

am I screwed or should it work again? And if it doesn't could they do anything for me at the apple store? Its less than a year old.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Leave it upside down and off for a few days.
    Apple can help you, but it won't be cheap.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The best thing you can do is keep it off until it completely dries. Take out the HDD, battery and the RAM so they can dry. If there's tea on the logic board, theres not much you can do. If all else fails, the best option is to go to an Apple store and honestly explain what happened. Their not required to do anything for you, but "geniuses" have been known to make exceptions.

4. ijpearson thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it didn't turn back on so I took it in to the apple store. They told me that they would fix it for me but they're very busy so they sent it out. Unfortunately at the repair center they refuse to fix it for less than $1240 plus tax, so I asked them to send it back. The logic board is fried, so I have to replace that but with them, they were going to do a "complete" repair, so it would be more. Now I have to beg them at the apple store to fix it for me and hope that they take some sympathy. I'm just starting school in a month and had to take out $7500 of loans. How am I supposed to play another $1240+ for a laptop that I NEED for school?

5. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

Guess your only option now is to go minimal and buy a dinky 11" MBA as a replacement. Or if your GF really is fair, she'll help you purchase another laptop.

6. ijpearson thread starter macrumors newbie

She told me she'll help me pay for half, but I'm going to see if I can find a cheaper repair cost.

7. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

8. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

those dinky mbas are quite the upgrade....

9. ijpearson thread starter macrumors newbie

I need the disc drive, and I do video editing in after effects and other equally powerful programs, so I need a more powerful computer.

10. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Half? Call me an a**hole but I'd have my girlfriend (yes I do have one) paying every goddamn cent. Unacceptable.

11. ijpearson thread starter macrumors newbie

It was an accident, and as it stand right now she paid my share of the rent last month because I just moved in and don't start work until August 2nd, so she's covering me this month as well.

12. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

This stinks, but why isn't your girlfriend paying for this??? If I ever knocked water on my boyfriend's Macbook Pro I'd be paying for it to be repaired no questions asked.

I slammed his car door into a cement wall (oops lol) and the first thing I did was offer to pay the paint repair.

She really should be paying for this, not just half of it, because this wasn't your fault. I understand that she is paying for your rent or whatever, but is that a loan? If she is giving you all that rent money then you should be deducting it from the repair bill total. I just don't think its fair when someone ruins something, regardless of it being an accident, and doesn't cover the cost.

But anyways, good luck :)

13. ijpearson thread starter macrumors newbie

She is incredibly sorry, and the problem is that we are both in the midst of financial struggles. If only Apple products weren't so expensive. If it were less than $1000 she would pay it, but $1200+ is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. If she helps, then we may be able to afford it, but half of it is about all she can afford.

14. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

try an Apple Authorized Service Provider, see if they have this water damage repair cleaner. some AASP have repaired damaged boards with this cleaner that looks like a can of compressed air but actually distills and removes alot of liquid damage components.
    I have done this on a few 13" MB/MBP logic boards and most have come back to life, long enough to save up for a new more reliable one.
    That method and route may be awhole lot cheaper than a total system or logic board replacement.

15. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

What model do you have? Maybe you can find a logic board from eBay for cheaper? (actually, I'm sure of it)

16. ijpearson thread starter macrumors newbie

It was the 2010 Macbook Pro 15" i5 2.4 Ghz, I believe. Not sure whether it was 2.4 or 2.53.

17. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Here's one for $450 shipped, and they say they'll give you $130 back for your old one. It's also the 2.53GHz model, so it may even get you a speed boost.

Also, this place says they can fix spills for around $200. You'll have to read the whole page though, as I didn't.

18. ijpearson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. If they won't fix it for me under warranty at the Apple store (I'm hoping they'll cut me a break seeing as I'm a student, and most of the people working there are students as well), then I'll ask if I can buy a logic board and how much it would cost (and where, if they won't) to install it.

19. Chiuy macrumors 6502

Ya know... a mac is only a "want", and not a "need"
    I'm pretty sure you can get through college or school without a computer. This is why they invented library and computer labs.

$1240 is a lot, but... I say go look at Windows laptop if you can't afford it.
    I'm pretty sure HP has a Quad Core that is just as fast as your $2000 Mac for only $600, plus u get a free XBox 360 with it. Sell that, get even more $.

If I was in your situation, that's what I would do.

20. ijpearson thread starter macrumors newbie

Video editing (my job) takes place on macs, and my mac was also filled with over $4000 worth of software. I "need" my mac to afford my school. And my school is a half hour bus ride, just like the library, so I am not going to spend all day going to use a computer somewhere.

21. Chiuy macrumors 6502

But I assume all softwares are the same on the Windows, is it not?
    Unless you use Final Cut Pro, but all video editing software, like me, also has windows version, such as Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas.
    And I'm pretty sure you have more than one cd-key to use? A friend perhaps also has a spare key?
    If not, you can always resort to the *cough* file sharing *cough* as a last resort.

22. ijpearson thread starter macrumors newbie

I used protools, final cut, adobe, and logic on my mac and all of them were given to me with educational licenses from my old school that I no longer attend, and I don't want to illegally download these softwares.

23. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

stick it in a vacuum chamber the water'll boil right off. ;)

24. Chiuy macrumors 6502

Doesn't Apple format your harddrive though if you give it to them to repair?

25. ijpearson thread starter macrumors newbie

not that I know of. And I have a backup on my external hard drive. I just need a mac to put it all on.