iPhone 7(+) Waterdamage | Inoperable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jav6454, Oct 15, 2018.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Posting because I'm mostly looking for feedback and insight.

Well, so it happened to me for the first time. My iPhone got accidentally dropped in the pool. I thought it'd be fine given I have gotten it wet before and has fallen to the sink on more than one occasion (yes clumsy). However, this time it did not survive.

Back camera lens got water vapor and after 5 minutes the entire top part became hot. Flash wouldn't work. I turned it off. Then that's when the fun started, the phone got really hot. After like an hour it got back down to ambient and I put it in rice. I did not put it before because the heat being thrown off from the back side could accumulate and spark a battery fire due to overheating; I had to wait. Move forward 16 hours and I charged it for 5 minutes to find no lights in the screen and it won't turn on. Yes I did realize after a few hours that the seals of the water proofing of the iPhone will weaken over

So, that said, what are my options? Yes, besides the obvious of buying a new iPhone. I have complete backup as my iPhone does backups every night via iCloud, so I'm not worrying about data loss. There are some pictures from that day that I'd like to possibly rescue, not sure (I highly doubt it) it's possible. Perhaps some poster here knows if there's a way?

Also, as per repairing my 7, it's OOW which means, it'll be pricey. Still cheaper than a new phone, but given that I was eyeing an iPhone Xs, not sure. My 7 did everything I needed which is why I never considered upgrading initially when the Xs was announced.

2. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Wouldn’t bother repairing a water damaged phone. If you can just upgrade to an Xs. As far as the photos they might gone up to the cloud of not you might not be able to get them.

3. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Yup, I’m thinking that happened. I’m not seeing them in my iCloud photo reel

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In terms of the actual water damage, the only real method you have is an ultrasonic bath, and if the water indeed penetrated anywhere towards the logic board, it’s a matter of time before it will completely short out.

5. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Ultrasonic bath? Go on.

6. Dru_555 macrumors member

Go for a XS for the better water resistance or get a lifeproof case for what ever else you get. Ditch the water damaged phone. The “fix” never lasts and the next thing that comes up will earn you a “well, it has had water damage in the past...”

7. Relentless Power, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You would have to find a localized tech shop that actually has the equipment to perform the procedure, but this link will describe more detail than what I can specifically its limitations and what It can do, but it’s used for a variety of high-end cleaning:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_cleaning

8. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

Sorry that happened to you. I would just upgrade to the Xs. You were thinking about it anyway.
    I am not sure I would trust a phone that has had the damage yours has had.
    I have dropped my old 8 Plus in the pool and dove down and retrieved it immediately with no ill effects on the phone phone. But yours seemed to displayed water damage effects right away. So to me that says the logic board has damage.
    Now would be a great time to upgrade and enjoy a new phone :)

9. Raz373 macrumors newbie

if you have an air conditioning unit stick it right in front of the vents over night and put it on full power. The air conditioning removes the moisture from the device and can bring it back to life. This trick worked on my galaxy S3 and most recently on the iPhone 6 Plus, take the sim tray out too to improve airflow.

Nothing to lose so worth a try