Waterdamaged Macbook Pro GPU Failure, with Applecare *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shorties, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I spilled water on my macbook pro about a year ago, I quickly flipped it over and removed that battery dried it off and allowed it to sit for hours before attempting to turn it on, the only damage I had was a few keyboard keys that were not working. Recently though my GPU failed in what I believe to be a result of this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377 . Will Applecare still cover issues unrelated to the water damage, or does the water damage void all applecare coverage regardless of it being a result of the water or not.

Update: So I did what Panzer06 suggested, took it to a local authorized service center, (Its what I had planed to do because there aren't any apple stores for 100 miles). I was going to tell him the whole story that I posted here, but he never even asked how it happened, he just wanted to know what was wrong. I told him my GPU died and he just said ok, it will be ready by friday (Last week). Then I got a call on friday from him telling me that he replaced the logic board but when they turned it on for testing the keyboard failed so he put an order in for a new keyboard, and today I came in and picked up my computer, everything was repaired on Applecare's tab, it was wonderful.

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The practical thing to do would be to take the machine in and not mention the water spill.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Apple will probably see the water damage inside once they take it apart to fix it and will deny your service and will void your warranty. There's also water markers inside too that will go off if they got wet.

If you drove your car unintentionally into a lake, would the manufacturer be responsible? That's what insurance is for. AppleCare is not insurance, it's a warranty that covers manufacturing defects.

You could always use your home/renters insurance policy as that is insurance that covers your personal items.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Use your home contents insurance to claim, Apples going to know about the water damage, it leaves marks inside the computer and also they have sensor stickers inside most laptops that change colour when getting wet. Applecare won't cover water damage, but your insurance will.

5. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

But see thats not the problem, I don't care about the water damage, I don't want to get the keyboard replaced, I have an external one that works just fine. I am wondering if they will replace the Faulty GPU which I believe not to be a result of the water damage, or will they just blame it on the water regardless.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

They will see the water damage(if there is any) and if they see any corrosion anywhere on the logic board or anywhere else, they won't fix it. They don't just fix the GPU, the replace the entire logic board.

7. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

If they open up the case and see the water markers are triggered. They are probably going to say the faulty GPU is due to water or moisture damage. The only real way to see what they say is to bring it to the Apple Store and get it checked out.

Either one of two things will happen

They will replace the GPU for you no questions asked and maybe even replace the keyboard if they deem it necessary.

Or they will tell you its out of warranty due to abuse (water damage) and you will be in the same shape you are in.

There is really only one real way to find out what they will do and that is to bring down and have them check it out. And hopefully if you get someone good behind the counter they will take care of it for you.

8. goMac macrumors 603

Once your computer has accidental damage the warranty can basically be considered void. Having worked with AppleCare a lot, I can tell you they generally won't touch a machine that has accidental damage.

If you get the accidental damage fixed by them first, they might be willing to look at warranty issues.

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Locate a local Apple authorized repair center. Many as quite willing to do the repair and send the defective part to Apple. Many definitely don't balk at dented and beat up Macs as long as the defective part can be retuned to Apple w/o much obvious damage (not that anyone at the Apple returns depot is doing much more that making sure the same part came back as went out).

Cheers,

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Since it's been working fine for a long time after the water incident they should replace the logicboard for free. Especially since it's a separate issue.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm gathering that many of the MR members are saying to take it in, be upfront about the water damage and they might consider working on the warranty part(s) after the water damage issues are addressed. Also, be aware that they might place blame on the water damage issue, but you won't know anything until you bring it in for a checkup. Keep us posted...:(

12. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

but how do you prove that the water incident happened "a long time" ago?

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Once water has been in your system, your warranty and Applecare is voided completely. Doesnt matter if you have a completely different problem caused by something else. Its voided.

Apple is really tight about this because so many people try to scam them.

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Almost, just don't take it to Apple if the system has issues. Talk to folks who've had their systems worked on at local shops. They don't question mods, third-party RAM, upgraded hard drives, etc.

They also don't randomly replace your hard drive like Apple depot repair has been known to do (they do warn you on the return form to have a backup as the data may be lost as part of the repair).

Your local shop is likely more flexible and could certainly use your patronage.

Cheers,

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I wish I could give a +1 ^^^ but I've never taken my Macs to anywhere but the Apple Store. As soon as I notice something odd about my Macs they get to the Apple Store b/c they have AppleCare; I guess I've been luck, very lucky...

16. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update: So I did what you suggested, took it to a local authorized service center, (Its what I had planed to do because there aren't any apple stores for 100 miles). I was going to tell him the whole story that I posted here, but he never even asked how it happened, he just wanted to know what was wrong. I told him my GPU died and he just said ok, it will be ready by friday (Last week). Then I got a call on friday from him telling me that he replaced the logic board but when they turned it on for testing the keyboard failed so he put an order in for a new keyboard, and today I came in and picked up my computer, everything was repaired on Applecare's tab, it was wonderful.

17. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This is one of the primary reasons I try to give local shops some business. Even if you pay a bit more (for the initial purchase), it's good to have a shop that looks out for you. So many Apple store employees (certainly not all) seem to be looking for a reason to deny service.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I hope you don't have any further GPU issues.

After having my logic board replaced last fall (at a local shop) I was tempted to just sell it and use my ATI x1600-based 2.16 MBP instead but I really like the LED screen on my 2.2 SR.

Cheers,

18. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I thought about selling this one too after getting back considering its like new now, and buy a 15" Unibody, but I think I would miss the 1080P screen too much.

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats on the repair and the savings of who knows how much! Good to hear that...:cool:

20. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I know what you mean, I modded my 2.16 MBP 15 with a 1920x1200 display and it was beautiful. Lasted for 4 months before a hard crash in Vista (bootcamp) made it stop working. Never could figure out how to fix it. Had to go back to the original 1440x900 screen. Very sad.

May we never have another GPU-related failure!

Cheers,