Waterproof Case iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by silvetti, Apr 1, 2013.

1. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for something to use on my iPhone 5 when I go on vacation (water+sand proof), would like something that can go at least 2m depth so I can snap some photos and video with my family.

I found this Lifeproof case (http://www.lifeproof.com/) but I have seen some mixed reviews for it.

Anyone knows anything else ?
    Can also be a camera case like this (http://www.watershot.com/watershot-for-iphone-4.html), but I couldn't find one for iPhone 5.

Maybe you guys know something about this :D

Thanks in advance!

2. jayrflow macrumors 6502

I'm also curious about this. I wanted to get a Lifeproof case for when me and my girlfriend go to Virginia Beach in July but I've also kinda been hesitant because of all the negative feedback in the lifeproof thread. I heard that the colored ones work better than the black one. I was thinking about getting a white or blue one from BestBuy and possibly return it if I'm not satisfied. Anyone else care to chime in?

3. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

4. Rlacrossjr macrumors newbie

EXTREME delivers refined and ultra-rugged protection from impact, drops and screen damage as well as water and dust ingression. Featuring an industry-first Corning® Gorilla® Glass impact lens for screen protection, EXTREME provides shatter protection without compromising touchscreen responsiveness.

Right there in the description.

5. jayrflow macrumors 6502

It is not waterproof tho. Look in the FAQ section on their website. They themselves say its water RESISTANT but not water PROOF

6. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

All cases I found that are water-PROOF have the depth that it can go, on the Taktik website I found no technical specification whatsoever so I assume it is water proof for splashes but not to go 1m deep for example.

7. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

I have the TakTik Extreme and the case is not all that great. The plastic they used to make the "Ballistic Bezels" is a real cheap china plastic and can easily be scratched with ones fingernail. The vibe switch is useless. The camera and flash holes were produced backwards and I have still not received my replacement rear bezel that Lunatik said they were sending out weeks ago.

A lot of people are having oil slick problems with the case also.
    The case is NOT waterproof. I've pre ordered the Atlas and will see how that waterproof case is if I ever receive it. :eek:

8. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Thanks for that, was thinking of forking out +100$ for the case and would be very unhappy with that :D

Let us know about the Atlas one.

Besides that, no one knows any case (for the purpose of underwater phototaking) for iPhone 5 ?

9. koa macrumors 6502

10. davidra macrumors 6502

There are pages and pages of threads regarding the Lifeproof, Armor and other waterproof cases. If you are only going to be around water for a weekend, you don't need to be spending $80-100 for a case that you will not be happy with, because each and every one of them has limitations. They are either huge with clicking latches, or they have Newton rings that for some reason drive people crazy, or almost all of them have some issues with muffled sound. They HAVE to, they are completely sealed. Put it in a Aqua-Pac when you're around water, and buy a cheap waterproof camera to take pictures with. Or spend money on something like the Survivor which you can easily take in and out, and only use it at the beach. I'm just trying to save you time, frustration and money. I personally use a Lifeproof case. It's got some Newton's rings (which are disparagingly called "oil slicks") and the sound is a bit muffled, and speakerphone doesn't work too well, and I could care less. I am physically on the water several times a week and I need the protection continuously. It's someone's fantasy that anyone can make a phone that is completely sealed and will work just like a phone that's not. Have realistic expectations and you'll be happy.

11. Willsonchen macrumors member

search it on amazon,eBay or more other websites, it is easy to find, and LIFEPROOF is not so good to choose, i have heard so many bad reviews about that.

12. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

Anyone see the lifeproof type case on midnightbox.com? Anyone seen one around before?

13. alice04 macrumors regular

alice04

14. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

From the pics I saw that is the LifeProof case lol

15. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

This one is still not available despite being featured in the January CES. I have it bookmarked as my choice for a summer beach-going case but it is still "Coming Soon". Last week I emailed Griffin to ask when they expected release and they said they have no idea, that it could be months as it's still in "testing" phase. Running out of time for a summer release. Apparently it's much harder to make a truly waterproof case than we might like to think.

For now I'm sticking with an Aqua Pac or the equally effective Ziploc quart-size freezer bag. Beach sand/mist/water and electronic devices do not play well together.

16. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

17. koa macrumors 6502

18. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

My main concern are not how the phone will sound but the reviews I read about the water leaking under 3 feet... Since on the Lifeproof website they state NO WARRANTY for device inside the case :)

19. maliu macrumors 6502a

They do now. :) You can purchase a warranty with a case purchase.

20. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Took me 1 minute to find out that most of the WORLD is out of their warranty coverage :D

"You must be a resident of the United States of America (the Program is void for any Repair Request made by any customer living outside the United States)."

21. maliu macrumors 6502a

Atlas's water warranty is the same. :-( Sorry.

22. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

No need to be sorry :)

You tried to help :)

23. veken macrumors newbie

I like this: http://www.watershot.com/watershot-for-iphone-4.html