Waterproofing MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stagmeister, Jul 17, 2013.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

I see so many threads about spills, etc. Does anyone have any experience using a waterproofing solution for their computer, e.g. Liquipel?

2. LoMonkey macrumors regular

With the amount of heat the MBPs produce, I'm pretty sure the coating wouldn't last. Sounds risky, as well. Just don't spill stuff on your laptop :D

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I've never spilled anything on my computer ever. Just dont eat/drink near the computer, leave the computer on the same table as an open drink, or go scuba diving with your mac.
    The worst I've ever done is took it outside in the rain for a bit!
    With any luck you won't ever spill anything on it. Just my $0.02

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

If you are a DIYer just open up your Macbook Pro, pull the logic board, spray down with Corrosion X, wait 24 hours, and put it all back together. That's about as good of waterproofing you can hope for in a laptop.

5. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

wow

It isn't a washroom instrument. It is a MBP you're discussing right? Look up my posts about making the right space to use these instruments properly to assure long life.

If you really want to create a rain jacket for the mbp go set up a online peer funding proposal.

Basically common sense, make a room for the proper use of any MBP, a good solid flat surface, great ventilation, no food or water in that room, no kids or animals, just do your work, or if it is an entertainment system too, keep 4 feet away from the computer if there is pop and popcorn, kids and animals.

Simple. Right? Then you don't have to water proof and other proof this or that, proof doesn't always have to be yet another product! It can be a mindset.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Personally I am going to take apart my macbook pro in a few weeks. Maybe I should give this a try? :D

7. scbond macrumors 6502

This! The best way to waterproof your Mac? Don't have liquids near it...it's just common sense.

8. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Honestly I thought about it. People can blah blah blah about keeping your computer clean until they are blue in the face, but the fact is that as a laptop it is by definition a mobile device, and mobile devices are exposed to some risk by their very nature.

If we were talking about a mac mini or a mac pro then yes, no food or water around it, etc., etc., but a laptop doesn't always have the luxury of use in optimal conditions, unless you are using it as a desktop.

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That's why my waterproofing consists of a special policy taken out under my homeowner's insurance. I spill something on my MBP, I file a claim, get paid, then buy a new one.

10. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I will actually be getting a policy like this on my next MBP. I didn't even know you could get insurance policies on personal items like laptops at the same place I get car insurance until a couple years ago. Unfortunately their policy is that the item must be less than 1 year old, so it was too late for my current MBP.

Still, a little waterproofing means I don't have to go through the trouble of filing a claim, I'd do it.

11. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

abuse.

It is abuse on a system that is meant to protect you against actual water damage of Divine cause, not personal neglect cause. It wont fly, I don't know any insurance plan that actually pays out anything period. They are in the business to scam you out of higher premiums.

12. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Anal retentive much?

13. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Name calling much because you don't like something someone posts, come up with something better please. You are officially - Ignored and blocked. ^_^

14. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Perhaps a bit more concerned about a $2500 machine.

15. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

That wasn't name calling, that was my armchair analysis.

Nothing wrong with that but guess what... people tend to use laptops in unconventional places and situations which is the nature of being a mobile device. The OP's question was to determine if it feasible to fortify his machine in such circumstances. Not how to change his personal computing habits.

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentiveness

Not name calling.

I don't see where you are coming from. Accidental damage insurance is a very common clause in home/renters insurance. Also one should note that large insurance companies are very happy to pay out small claims (keeps customers happy), while they will go a long way to avoid paying if you have big damage, even if it is Divine cause.

Edit:
    Like some others here have mentioned, I like using the mobility of my laptop, i.e. I use it on coffee shop tables where other people put their coffee, I usually have a drink nearby at home (but not too near!), and so on.
    And if I ever end up having kids, I will not lock myself in my office just to keep the laptop safe.

17. Ichabod. macrumors regular

Water usually seems to enter laptops (at least unibody ones) by way of the keyboard, so I have a silicone cover over my keys. It can take a little while to get used to typing on, but it essentially waterproofs your keyboard (unless you literally submerge the device...)

18. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I have a rider on my renter's insurance for my computers that protects against spilling, dropping, dog eating, etc damage. It's meant to protect against accidents. About $100 a year protects about $5000-$6000 of equipment. I don't know about your insurance company, but mine isn't shady.

19. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I could almost guarantee that during a large spill the silicone cover won't keep water out. However it would probably give you a few extra seconds to stop the spill and get most of the water off.

Another seemingly common place is through the fan vents (literally sucks the water into the computer :eek: ). Usually happens on a tabletop where someone spills a drink.

20. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Use NeverWet on the insides :D

Watch their promo video and they spray an iPhone insides and are able to dunk it in a glass of water.

21. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You see so many threads about spills because forum is for people to seek advise. There will be not thread saying "HELP! I did not spill water on my MBP".

I had 4-5 laptops in 10 years and not once did I spill anything on it.

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I drink by my laptop, have it on the same table as drinks etc all the time. Never spilled a drop on it.

Heck, even my brother who has problems with his fine motor skills manages to drink near his MBP without spilling anything over it :rolleyes:

Just be a bit careful. It's not some precious artefact that's going to destroy the world if a drop of dihydrogen monoxide touches it, and it doesn't need to be enclosed in four feet of lead to stop anything penetrating it's priceless aluminium shell. Just be a little less clumsy.

23. sholzer macrumors regular

I was about to post that video lol

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

and doing so will void your warranty.

25. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

LOL I've rolled so long without worrying about it that I forget about the warranty.